Your “New” music of 2022

Monkeys Fist

So, as it says, what was your pick of music that was new to you this past year? 

Doesn’t need to have been released this year, just music that you listened to most this year? 

My album would be this

Instrumental guitar album with a heavy Latino flavour.  Sublime. 

Individual song would be 

Love it. 

I’ve spent a fair bit of time picking artists who I have one or two songs of in my lists, and giving their entire catalogue a good listen, and I’ve surprised myself- Mr. Cave being one, Sonic Youth another, Beck was probably the biggest surprise. 

Let’s have your picks 

Dead Pony would probably be the big standout. Their recent "War Boys" EP is possibly the most perfect pop I've heard in years, and it's just dark and twisted enough enough to walk that tightrope between being interesting and still accessible. Not my usual cup of tea, last record I got such a hard-on for was the Carcass comeback in 2013.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

So, just on first listen, Zero and War Boys are the two tracks that stand out to me. 

Interested enough to come back to it mind 👍

If that floats yer boat Spyres might be another band from this neck of the woods worth keeping tabs on. Some of their stuff is quite similar to Dead Pony.

Im stretching "new music" a bit, but in my defence I only discovered this stuff this year. 

Weyes Blood continued her streak of outrageously good music

Fuck knows where I found this but it’s from 1994 and manages to be too poppy to be metal, too heavy to be pop and not quite riff heavy enough to be grunge. Still, cracking stuff 

Alvvays are worth absolutely all of your time 

The most impeccable band of their generation does it again 

• 1 month later...

The "New" music of 2022 is a reflection of the evolving tastes and preferences of listeners around the world. It encompasses a wide range of genres, from pop to hip-hop to alternative, and showcases the talents of emerging and established artists alike. In 2022, we can expect to see new music that pushes the boundaries of what is possible in the industry, incorporating cutting-edge production techniques and innovative styles.

One of the standout trends of 2022 is the continued rise of hip-hop and R&B, with artists such as Lil Nas X, Drake, and J. Cole leading the way. Pop music is also experiencing a resurgence, with new artists like Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande continuing to dominate the charts

On 03/02/2023 at 17:56, RubiSimth said:

The "New" music of 2022 is a reflection of the evolving tastes and preferences of listeners around the world. It encompasses a wide range of genres, from pop to hip-hop to alternative, and showcases the talents of emerging and established artists alike. In 2022, we can expect to see new music that pushes the boundaries of what is possible in the industry, incorporating cutting-edge production techniques and innovative styles.

One of the standout trends of 2022 is the continued rise of hip-hop and R&B, with artists such as Lil Nas X, Drake, and J. Cole leading the way. Pop music is also experiencing a resurgence, with new artists like Billie Eilish and Ariana Grande continuing to dominate the charts

Really named some up and coming newcomers there. Finger on the pulse motherfucker

• Haha 3