Arteta's long suffering jellied eels v Eddie's Stottie fuelled northern raiders (- Gemmill + Trips, massive net gain tbh)

Toonpack

40 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

No interested parties for the sale so far. I imagine Man United will go before Liverpool do, although I gather there's very little interest there either. The prices they're asking are crazy. If you just want a PL presence, you can do that for a lot less money than Liverpool and Man United are asking - see Bournemouth. You get a project rather than a finished article, but what you also get is a fan base appreciative of progress rather than one demanding immediate trophies when there's only 4 to share around each season. 

Wouldn't anyone buying Man Utd also have to go over every commercial deal they currently have? That's a phat book of business. Official cooking oil partners, tractor part partners and all that. 

What a ball ache that is. Instead, like you say, you could buy Brentford for comparative buttons, change very little on the football side and work at improving their global footprint/commercial portfolio. Reap the benefits from that in no time. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Wouldn't anyone buying Man Utd also have to go over every commercial deal they currently have? That's a phat book of business. Official cooking oil partners, tractor part partners and all that. 

What a ball ache that is. Instead, like you say, you could buy Brentford for comparative buttons, change very little on the football side and work at improving their global footprint/commercial portfolio. Reap the benefits from that in no time. 

Brentford do have that all-important turmeric partnership that would take quite some unravelling.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Brentford do have that all-important turmeric partnership that would take quite some unravelling.

Meet with them first, to curry favour.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I think that would depend on who  ends up buying them tbh . Man Utd up for sale too. We’re not getting this all our own way and no club ever has gone. Wenger stopped Ferguson for a while, Chelsea didn’t win the league every year. People are getting ahead of themselves. They need to chill out a bit and just see what happens . It’s great just to be in the running at the moment 👍

Lets not forget that Liverpool went years without being a true premier league force before Klopp.  Of course we would have given anything to be in the position they were in through the vast majority of that time but they were rarely title contenders other than for the odd season (ie about the same as us in that sense) before Teeth Gilespie came along and turned them into real winners.  They are of course a massive club and anyone investing in them will no doubt have money to spend, but it will very much be done as a business and it's unlikely they will be of the Saudi/Abu Dhabi/Qatar level.  So they will be relying on the work of their manager and it's looking more and more like the Klopp 7 year cycle is a real thing that he has no real idea of how to break out of.  There's definitely a chance to break clear of them if we continue to build as we are.

Of course you're right in that we aren't going to have it all out own way.  Which is something I'm more than happy with tbh.  I'm not desperate to be Bayern winning the league at a trott every year.  I'd much rather we were competing in a league were there are a number of teams at the start of each season with a realistic chance of winning it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

No interested parties for the sale so far. I imagine Man United will go before Liverpool do, although I gather there's very little interest there either. The prices they're asking are crazy. If you just want a PL presence, you can do that for a lot less money than Liverpool and Man United are asking - see Bournemouth. You get a project rather than a finished article, but what you also get is a fan base appreciative of progress rather than one demanding immediate trophies when there's only 4 to share around each season. 

The money is a very valid point. I thought the money being asked for Chelsea was insane and was surprised it was met. 

There seems to be a thought process amongst the fans of the so-called established top 6 that their positions make them more attractive to would-be purchasers. If anything I think it makes them less attractive because the expectations of the fans would be absolutely off the scale immediately.

If you were an organisation looking to purchase an English football club, why on earth would you spunk stupid money on the likes of Man United or Liverpool? Surely a far more attractive proposition would be to buy someone like Villa, Everton, Forest or Leeds for a fraction of the cost and start a project. The 'entitled' mindset of the top clubs is arrogance on a ridiculous scale - hence their desire, and let's face it the ALL wanted it, to join a European Super League.

• Like 2

Whoever buys Man Utd or Liverpool for the sort of prices being touted are likely to want their money back somehow. I’m not sure who would pay that and invest a load of extra money on players. There just aren’t buyers like that out there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

The money is a very valid point. I thought the money being asked for Chelsea was insane and was surprised it was met. 

There seems to be a thought process amongst the fans of the so-called established top 6 that their positions make them more attractive to would-be purchasers. If anything I think it makes them less attractive because the expectations of the fans would be absolutely off the scale immediately.

If you were an organisation looking to purchase an English football club, why on earth would you spunk stupid money on the likes of Man United or Liverpool? Surely a far more attractive proposition would be to buy someone like Villa, Everton, Forest or Leeds for a fraction of the cost and start a project. The 'entitled' mindset of the top clubs is arrogance on a ridiculous scale - hence their desire, and let's face it the ALL wanted it, to join a European Super League.

The fact that clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea already have global appeal would surely make them an interesting purchase.  Yes you have to spend a lot to keep it going but the revenue streams that you have access to far surpasses us, Villa, Everton etc.  And if you're not interested in sports washing then revenue is what you will be looking at.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Whoever buys Man Utd or Liverpool for the sort of prices being touted are likely to want their money back somehow. I’m not sure who would pay that and invest a load of extra money on players. There just aren’t buyers like that out there. 

The Liverpool fella on The Athletic podcast was saying something about how the only serious investors he's heard spoken about are VC types from America and they want a 35% return on their investment. Which is just impossible at the prices they're being asked to pay. 

• Like 2

And surely after 2 rounds of American ownership, Liverpool will want to be steering well clear of a 3rd round. 

I can't remember the details, but wasn't the profit of Man Utd virtually wiped out overnight when the Glazers took them over? Using the clubs funds for serviceable debt? 

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

And surely after 2 rounds of American ownership, Liverpool will want to be steering well clear of a 3rd round. 

I can't remember the details, but wasn't the profit of Man Utd virtually wiped out overnight when the Glazers took them over? Using the clubs funds for serviceable debt? 

Yeah. I don’t understand the ins and outs of it properly. But it was essentially bought using loans guaranteed against the club I believe. Mind, Man Utd fans made life difficult J P McManus and John Magnier,  previous part owners, protesting at race courses where their horses were running etc. wanting greater investment. A case of be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Quite fuckin right too 

in the last 2 games little old newcastle have clearly got under arteta and his players skin. they're like the north london equivalent of a jordan pickford.

completely confident we'll dick these cunts at our place this may too.

• Like 4

:lol: Aye, we’re so far under Arsenals skin it’s fucking brilliant. They will lose their heads completely at SJP, they should have had players sent off this past match I can definitely see it happening in the return fixture. We will then get to hear the brilliantly idiotic Arsenal TV interview more Arsenal fans who know fucking nothing about football. 

“yi get me fam? Ow is it that this side beat us? Ow is that? They is crap but when we play them we are rubbish it just makes no sense blud. You know what Arteta out fam eee can’t even beat noocarrsel”

AEADC598-B2BC-4859-90DF-D73230AF8D6F.jpeg

• Haha 2

I've never understood this idea that the FA, the Premier League are whomever would be 'out to get' one club. Especially one like Arsenal, that has been an entrenched member of the 'Top 2', the 'Top 4', the 'Big Six' for decades. 

Seen it from fans of all clubs, 'THEY' are out to get them. Fuck off man.

• Like 2