Eddie’s title chasers against some league one outfit from Yorkshire

Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

if you read the opening pages most of us were calling for a few changes. The league cup quarter final is a massive opportunity so I can understand why he rested so many. Of course it’s disappointing and underscores the work we still have to to do to make the squad capable of competing on three or four fronts 

Aye probably just me overreacting after the game, understand why he made changes just hope we're back to full strength Tuesday. Still created plenty of chances to change and win the game.

You can talk about old skool stadiums being cool etc. But when you think about all the new ones built and redeveloped beyond recognition post-Taylor report there’s something not right about Hillsborough being like it is after what happened there imo. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex said:

You can talk about old skool stadiums being cool etc. But when you think about all the new ones built and redeveloped beyond recognition post-Taylor report there’s something not right about Hillsborough being like it is after what happened there imo. 

it’s staggering that the lepping lane end wasn’t demolished 

Surprisingly unmoved by our exit for some reason.

Thought we played ok, even with all the changes, we created plenty but just can't finish. Wrote it off when Anderson chance was saved tbh (posted as much at the time) on the subject of Anderson I see zero evidence of "wonderkid" about him at all, hope he proves me wrong.

Their first goal was offside (as was ours) their second created by a lovely little header into space by Bruno G. For fucks sake 🙄

We were comfortably the better team IMO, but unless we start converting some of these perfectly good chances we create we're going to continue to struggle (Leeds, Arsenal and now Sheff Wed, close, but no cigar).

Wood can only come on/play again when we have 30 seconds left before a penalty shoot out.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 3

The deficits in our first XI are clear to see

- We have very little in the way of goals or assists from the left wing. ASM isn't trusted and Joelinton is better at CM

- We have minimal creativity in midfield. Bruno can't do it all on his own, Longstaff is a clogger and Willock is regressing

- Our 2 CFs have been sick notes for months and Wood is awful. I'd rather have Joelinton deputising up front. I'm rapidly losing patience with Wilson too

• Like 3

I thought Joe Linton was very good yesterday.

I also loved some of the glimpses of how good Izak is going to be when he’s fully match fit. He has this tilting bend in his body around the box where you can tell he’s ready to make the runs.

Once we get used to feeding him, he’s going to bag lots of goals.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The deficits in our first XI are clear to see

- We have very little in the way of goals or assists from the left wing. ASM isn't trusted and Joelinton is better at CM

- We have minimal creativity in midfield. Bruno can't do it all on his own, Longstaff is a clogger and Willock is regressing

- Our 2 CFs have been sick notes for months and Wood is awful. I'd rather have Joelinton deputising up front. I'm rapidly losing patience with Wilson too

I think willock’s been mostly excellent this season

I agree about the midfield creativity conundrum though. Great to see Joe back in that position but we’re lacking any creativity centrally without Bruno and Shelvey.  

• Like 2

Yep. Willock has been playing well and Joelinton provides energy and progresses the ball nicely. I do agree that Longstaff lacks quality but in his defence his game is about running and covering and being an engine for others. He's never going to run a game or grab the headlines. We need a player like him but we need a player like that is better in every respect. 

We're not far away. We've created the chances but there's patches every now and again when the ball won't go in the net. It'll turn. It's not like we're playing particularly badly. I still enjoyed the game last night.

I think we'll see the goalscoring take-off again soon enough. Wilson, for example, basically hasn't played for two months because of the WC and he barely trained since because of illness. He'll come good quickly. He's a quality player when he's sharp. Isak too. I think it's worth remembering that he is one of the top striking prospects in the world. Perhaps we've forgotten because we've seen so little of him.

Wood is turbo shit. No excuses there. Poor bloke. He seems like a wuality human. But fuck me he lacks so much that a PL striker requires. Hopefully we can be in a position within the next 12 months that we can offload him because his place in the squad is no longer tenable.

Someone else mentioned it. A stark point about our squad is that it completely lacks talented youngsters. There is nothing by way of academic graduates to speak of and Anderson does not convince me at all. And FA Cup 3rd round matches make that apparent. I look forward to the first time we have an 18 y-o like Rico Lewis at City who has recently come into their side looks like a worldy straight out of the box. 

This will all happen for us soon enough. It's annoying in the present that half our squad is still turbo shit but it's exciting for the future because it will change. These will be the days we look back on fondly in the years to come as the team transitions out of this awkward teenager type phase of quality first XI sprinkled with absolute crap off the bench. It's like we're some hot young thing with acne and braces or something. It's awkward but it's a phase. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Yep. Willock has been playing well and Joelinton provides energy and progresses the ball nicely. I do agree that Longstaff lacks quality but in his defence his game is about running and covering and being an engine for others. He's never going to run a game or grab the headlines. We need a player like him but we need a player like that is better in every respect. 

We're not far away. We've created the chances but there's patches every now and again when the ball won't go in the net. It'll turn. It's not like we're playing particularly badly. I still enjoyed the game last night.

I think we'll see the goalscoring take-off again soon enough. Wilson, for example, basically hasn't played for two months because of the WC and he barely trained since because of illness. He'll come good quickly. He's a quality player when he's sharp. Isak too. I think it's worth remembering that he is one of the top striking prospects in the world. Perhaps we've forgotten because we've seen so little of him.

Wood is turbo shit. No excuses there. Poor bloke. He seems like a wuality human. But fuck me he lacks so much that a PL striker requires. Hopefully we can be in a position within the next 12 months that we can offload him because his place in the squad is no longer tenable.

Someone else mentioned it. A stark point about our squad is that it completely lacks talented youngsters. There is nothing by way of academic graduates to speak of and Anderson does not convince me at all. And FA Cup 3rd round matches make that apparent. I look forward to the first time we have an 18 y-o like Rico Lewis at City who has recently come into their side looks like a worldy straight out of the box. 

This will all happen for us soon enough. It's annoying in the present that half our squad is still turbo shit but it's exciting for the future because it will change. These will be the days we look back on fondly in the years to come as the team transitions out of this awkward teenager type phase of quality first XI sprinkled with absolute crap off the bench. It's like we're some hot young thing with acne and braces or something. It's awkward but it's a phase. 

Aye it is great 👍

5 minutes ago, toonotl said:

i think this phase will be remembered as the most exciting. it’ll soon get boring in a few years time when we’ve won every bit of silverware going and our supporter base morphs into an entitled set of arseholes who boo when we fail to dispatch every opponent by at least three goals at SJP.

those of us lucky enough to have been here will whisper: i remember when we lost to Wednesday in the cup 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think this phase will be remembered as the most exciting. it’ll soon get boring in a few years time when we’ve won every bit of silverware going and our supporter base morphs into an entitled set of arseholes who boo when we fail to dispatch every opponent by at least three goals at SJP.

those of us lucky enough to have been here will whisper: i remember when we lost to Wednesday in the cup because of Glooms shite, back to front, matchday thread title.

Exactly, with a wee FYP for my exact thoughts.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

those of us lucky enough to have been here will whisper: i remember when we lost to Wednesday in the cup 

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

• Haha 1

I don't blame Howe for resting one or two given the game at arsenal and the QF coming up but four of the back 5 including GK was maybe a bit much considering how much some are lacking, you compound that by putting the likes of Ritchie, Anderson and Murphy in front of them and you're dicing with a KO. We all have our doubts about Lascelles and Lewis looked like he was Olly Murrs playing in a charity match, especially early on, Manquillo got a nosebleed on the counter and Murphy was Murphy who follows through in his shorts when he's got a break on and could score. Agree with Alex regarding Ritchie, finished now after being helped on his way by Bruce playing him out of position for so long. The Geordie maradona doesn't convince me so far although it is early but he just looks another graduate who will play in the lower leagues ATM. Like I say, Howe had a congestion/injury problem and yesterday showed just much he must surely know he'll be fucked if he's got to rely on some of these. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Apart from the Leicester game we’ve missed chances to win all the other games we’ve drawn or lost since the restart. Our form in general isn’t as good as our mid Octoberish peak. but we’ve played ok.  This is in a way reassuring, most teams have peaks and troughs. If the chances go in we settle into a rhythm and see games out fairly easily.  Some new faces will give the squad fresh impetus. Those having a wee dig at Eddie last night n the immediate aftermath of a disappointing result hopefully have pause to think on this morning…. mind if Leicester put us out we’re putting some posters on suicide watch :D 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Apart from the Leicester game we’ve missed chances to win all the other games we’ve drawn or lost since the restart. Our form in general isn’t as good as our mid Octoberish peak. but we’ve played ok.  This is in a way reassuring, most teams have peaks and troughs. If the chances go in we settle into a rhythm and see games out fairly easily.  Some new faces will give the squad fresh impetus. Those having a wee dig at Eddie last night n the immediate aftermath of a disappointing result hopefully have pause to think on this morning…. mind if Leicester put us out we’re putting some posters on suicide watch :D 

name and shame these scoundrels.

• Haha 1

Aye let’s just blindly follow the new messiah without raising the slightest of eyebrows.

When we are shit, the manager, regardless of his normal godlike qualities, is as much fair game for critique as anyone.

13 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Aye let’s just blindly follow the new messiah without raising the slightest of eyebrows.

When we are shit, the manager, regardless of his normal godlike qualities, is as much fair game for critique as anyone.

If that makes you feel better mate crack on 👍 🙄

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Alex said:

There were issues before the disaster yet ignorant fucks still blame Liverpool fans fully for it

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

There were issues before the disaster yet ignorant fucks still blame Liverpool fans fully for it

those of us of a certain vintage will remember the 4-2 defeat at hillsborough in '83 and the crushing at the turnstiles and in the ground. they had to open up the restricted view left hand corner to relieve it. still remember the coppers hat been chucked about in there!

anyway, leppings lane is a notoriously narrow funnel leading to the turnstiles, especially when the culture was for the vast majority of supporters not to leave the pub till the last minute.

the chant of how man, hey man which accompanied the jostling to get in to position at the turnstiles could very well have originated at hillsborough, it was certainly always very prominent there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I don't blame Howe for resting one or two given the game at arsenal and the QF coming up but four of the back 5 including GK was maybe a bit much considering how much some are lacking, you compound that by putting the likes of Ritchie, Anderson and Murphy in front of them and you're dicing with a KO. We all have our doubts about Lascelles and Lewis looked like he was Olly Murrs playing in a charity match, especially early on, Manquillo got a nosebleed on the counter and Murphy was Murphy who follows through in his shorts when he's got a break on and could score. Agree with Alex regarding Ritchie, finished now after being helped on his way by Bruce playing him out of position for so long. The Geordie maradona doesn't convince me so far although it is early but he just looks another graduate who will play in the lower leagues ATM. Like I say, Howe had a congestion/injury problem and yesterday showed just much he must surely know he'll be fucked if he's got to rely on some of these. 

Apart from Anderson the starting XI only consisted of players with a decent pedigree. Some may not really be Premier League players but still dhould be regular starters for good Championship sites. We weren’t playing a bunch of unproven youngsters. I don’t think you can blame Howe expecting them to perform much better. The team he selected was good enough on paper but didn’t rise to the occasion while Sheffield showed the kind of cup performance you can expect from a team trying to upset a superior team. They were up for the fight while some of our players simply thought it would be a walk in the park.

• Like 3