Eddie’s title chasers against some league one outfit from Yorkshire

Dr Gloom

I dont blame Howe for playing a weakened team the only change i wouldnt have done was GK Pope should have played,what is clear to see is that apart from 13 players the rest are shite/have to prove themselves 

Pope 

Trippier

Burn

Botman

Schar

Bruno

Almiron

Joe

Willock

Wilson

ASM

Isak

Targett 

The Following need to up their game if they want to stay

Krafth

Shelvey

Lacelles

Longstaff

Anderson

As for the rest including Chris Wood.....thank you and fuck off

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rosco said:

I dont blame Howe for playing a weakened team the only change i wouldnt have done was GK Pope should have played,what is clear to see is that apart from 13 players the rest are shite/have to prove themselves 

Pope 

Trippier

Burn

Botman

Schar

Bruno

Almiron

Joe

Willock

Wilson

ASM

Isak

Targett 

The Following need to up their game if they want to stay

Krafth

Shelvey

Lacelles

Longstaff

Anderson

As for the rest including Chris Wood.....thank you and fuck off

Harsh on Krafth considering his injury and Anderson, considering his age! 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Harsh on Krafth considering his injury and Anderson, considering his age! 

I'm not saying they are bad but more that they need to step it up a bit.....the same way Almiron /Joelinton did, Its always hard when your part of a complete new team for a cup game it rarely works well. Of those players in my need to try harder list I hope/think Anderson & Krafth will be part of our future

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Craig said:

I massively questioned Isak being started, and still do. Should have brought him off the bench when the opposition were tired. 

I agree.  Should have started with Wood (I know) and then replaced him with Isak later.

14 hours ago, Rosco said:

Krafth

Shelvey

Lacelles

Longstaff

Anderson

Krafth surprisingly did step up markedly befoew his injury. If he comes back at the same level from his injury he's a great utility defensive substitute option, never a first choice though.

Shelvey was looking similar until his injury, then worked hard to come back ahead of schedule only pickup another injury. On ability and recent attitude it's fine to keep him around for the time being as a bench option and cup player.

Lascelles doesn't work in our new system, from a playing perspective we have to get rid of him or else he's essentially just a novelty mascot as captain. Seems happy enough to br a bit part player so no huge rush if he's contributing to our harmonious squad.

Longstaff I have mixed thoughts about, but essentially he has the right attitude. He doesn't seem like he's going to be top quality but if can improve his vision whilst on the ball who knows. Keep him.

Anderson it's too early to say, but he hasn't impressed of late. Howe is keen on giving him a chance so he must do alright in training. No risk in hanging on a bit longer.

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I agree.  Should have started with Wood (I know) and then replaced him with Isak later.

Howe made a comment about Isak benefitting from the full warm-up as part of the starting 11 - less risky than a sub's warm-up I suppose. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

The rope a dope tactic.

Isak looked pretty sharp for a player who has been out for so long, perhaps that was comparatively to our cloggers who he was playing alongside.

I did really think it odd that Eddie started him, but he could have had two goals in the half on another night, so I think that's what Howe was going for - some early goals.

Ideally we'd have enough cover in to give Anderson some loan experience in the championship. He certainly has something about him. The way he receives the ball defensively then immediately transition it to attack is a rarity.  reckon with a bit of luck he'd have a couple of goals on his record as well. 

• Like 1

Of the 11 that started against Shef Wed I'd probably sell in next two windows;

Dubravka

Murphy

Lewis

and I'd definitely sell this shower as soon as possible;

Manquillo

Lascelles

Ritchie

• Like 2

Can anyone make a convincing argument that the team that started v Sheff Wed could survive relegation in the PL?

It just underlines how mental our squad is that one half of the squad is top 6 material, and the other half is a relegation candidate. 

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Can anyone make a convincing argument that the team that started v Sheff Wed could survive relegation in the PL?

It just underlines how mental our squad is that one half of the squad is top 6 material, and the other half is a relegation candidate. 

The legacy of Ashley / Charnley / Bruce.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

The legacy of Ashley / Charnley / Bruce.

And Benitez, to be fair. Lewis doesn't look like he's up to much at all, mores the pity. 

59 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You do realise that the entire squad have only scored  in 2 out of 5 games after the World Cup break don’t you? :lol: 

Isak & Murphy finish their chances on Saturday and a billion megabits of bandwidth would’ve been saved on this forum due to folk not lamenting how utterly shit the squad is outside of  maybe 14 players. If we don’t beat Leicester it’s an official dip in form and probably where we should be after our supernatural highs in the Autumn.  It doesn’t bother me too much tbh, October to mid November was fuckin unreal but taking everything into account the true ability of the squad is probably a bit closer to our pre October travails than what came pre Christmas. We’ll see, the Bournemouth, Leeds and Sheff Weds games all contained the chances for us to win those games. But with Wilson & Isak only seemingly fit for half a game and Miggy possibly going back into his shell a bit you have to wonder where the goals will come from…

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

The point I was making is the massive difference in quality between 1st XI and 2nd XI. 

No other side capable of hanging around in the top 6 has such a huge drop off in quality. 

I know it's just a function of where we are in the development of the club, but it's still quite jarring.

Isak or Murphy scoring their chances is not relevant. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The point I was making is the massive difference in quality between 1st XI and 2nd XI. 

No other side capable of hanging around in the top 6 has such a huge drop off in quality. 

I know it's just a function of where we are in the development of the club, but it's still quite jarring.

Isak or Murphy scoring their chances is not relevant. 

Well yeah, agreed. But we’ve still only scored in three from five. That’s not all down to the quality of the squad overall is it, as you say at this stage of the project? They were scoring for fun before the WC break and it’s still the same players…

The squad is what it is. We’re not finishing chances in all games. That’s the story of the restart. Not winning a one off cup game where we made  7 changes to the starting line up isn’t where we should be focusing our critical gaze iyam. Yes we looked ropey at the back and ineffective in midfield . We still created enough chances to win the game as we gave done in all games since we’ve come back bar  maybe Arsenal. Fix that and we’re all good again. Barring injuries that might let these frightful reserve team players in 🙄

Let me ask a question. Why does Chris Wood look like a Sunday league player in front of goal at the moment? Where the fuck has any semblance of confidence he may have had disappeared to? Because if Eddie Howe is this all conquering utterly unreal coach he’d be able to sort that right out shouldn’t he?…,please don’t read that as a criticism of Eddie Howe or Chris Wood for that matter. They’re both only human and I think beneath the instant reaction post game and recriminations the day after for hours on end we forget that. These are people with human failings. He visibly shrinks when he gets a chance now, and Jacob Murphy isn’t far behind him. Neither are anywhere near good enough for where we’re going, but they’ve gone backwards since the restart iyam. Under Eddie Howe. It doesn’t make any sense does it? Yes we can say “they’re both shit get rid NOW!” but that’s unlikely to happen this month . I don’t pretend to have any answers but two days of lamenting the squad that Ashley and Bruce built isn’t identifying what we can change to start scoring more goals again. Because I can’t see us singing another centre forward  this month either.  We’ll see. 

• Like 4

Chris Wood needs to take a shot at the oppo from our penalty area, the elevation he gets on his sitters means it'll probably come down under the bar (he'll probably need to be aiming at the corner flag mind).

Good points PL, btw, hopefully Isak (with Wilson) will provide some "confidence".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

Chris Wood needs to take a shot at the oppo from our penalty area, the elevation he gets on his sitters means it'll probably come down under the bar (he'll probably need to be aiming at the corner flag mind).

Good points PL, btw, hopefully Isak (with Wilson) will provide some "confidence".

At the moment they both appear only to be fit for half a game. At least they’re being managed, fuck knows what state they’d be in under Bruce 😬 

We’ll see what happens v Leicester. The whole season under Howe is a process in a way, the way he handles everything. He’s not really had to do much pre WC, the XI was largely picking itself bar Wilson/Wood . We’re still third in the league with Chris Wood playing regularly. I see that as a small triumph rather than something to get wound up over :good: 

• Like 2

Despite the fact that social media has reacted to Saturday as if we'd just lost 4 on the bounce, and I bloody hope the crowd don't get restless early tomorrow as we've continued to look solid (outside of Sat) and we have created chances in every game, two really good one's against Arsenal, just need someone to show some composure.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

At the moment they both appear only to be fit for half a game. At least they’re being managed, fuck knows what state they’d be in under Bruce 😬 

We’ll see what happens v Leicester. The whole season under Howe is a process in a way, the way he handles everything. He’s not really had to do much pre WC, the XI was largely picking itself bar Wilson/Wood . We’re still third in the league with Chris Wood playing regularly. I see that as a small triumph rather than something to get wound up over :good: 

You reckon?

Burn at left back was a big call by the manager that not many of us were making. For a while the consensus was Targett should return. He did nothing wrong last season and is the more natural full back. Howe was vindicated though. Burn’s defensive attributes let him slot in as an extra centre back when Tripper advances further up the pitch on the other side.  

He continued to play Longstaff when many of us would have moved Joelinton back into central midfield, where he’s had his best games for us. 

And on paper ASM should have been more involved. 

Fair play to Howe. He knows what he’s doing 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

You reckon?

Burn at left back was a big call by the manager that not many of us were making. For a while the consensus was Targett should return. He did nothing wrong last season and is the more natural full back. Howe was vindicated though. Burn’s defensive attributes let him slot in as an extra centre back when Tripper advances further up the pitch on the other side.  

He continued to play Longstaff when many of us would have moved Joelinton back into central midfield, where he’s had his best games for us. 

And on paper ASM should have been more involved. 

Fair play to Howe. He knows what he’s doing 

The decisions you describe were all largely made by mid September though, we kicked on and the team didn’t change much after that :good:

38 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Let me ask a question. Why does Chris Wood look like a Sunday league player in front of goal at the moment? Where the fuck has any semblance of confidence he may have had disappeared to?

I'd agree with the vast majority of what you posted there with the exception of the bit I've pulled out above.

chris wood has been here 12 months now and he's featured in the vast majority of our games, scoring what, 2 from open play and a couple of penalties?

I think he's been afforded a tremendous amount of leeway from the support based solely on the fact he was part of a team that did wonders to avoid relegation rather his own personal contribution. the malce can probably be traced back even further with 3 in 18 before his arrival from burnley.

this is not a momentary thing looking like a sunday league player, it's been going on for sometime. I don't dislike the lad, it was painful watching his face after the howler on saturday, although I'd stop short of feeling sorry for somebody who's raking in £100k a week for being shite at his job.

time to get shot at the very earliest opportunity, the audible groans from the crowd now are only gonna get louder.

wood was a stopgap signing. he did what he was signed to do - give us an option up front with PL experience to help keep us up. we should get rid now but i can see him seeing out his short contract. who would take him on the wages he's on? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

wood was a stopgap signing. he did what he was signed to do - give us an option up front with PL experience to help keep us up. we should get rid now but i can see him seeing out his short contract. who would take him on the wages he's on? 

Man Utd, they're after his replacement from Burnley.

• Haha 3