howe's team with a couple of players who should never play for us again v rodger's team with a couple of players we should nick

thebrokendoll

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

UEFA have tried to punish Man City and PSG in the past and I think both attempts failed on appeal. Spain has a different (stricter) system to us but we've seen both Real Madrid shitting themselves at not being able to meet the rules. Everton have spent very little over the last couple of years because they bet the house on a number of players who did absolutely nothing for them. But I can't think of anyone actually receiving any significant punishment for FFP breaches.

What we have to contend with though is the new 'Newcastle rule' that the other PL clubs have brought in whereby the PL can veto any related party sponsorship deals that they feel aren't at a fair market value. We've yet to see what this will look like in operation but my guess is that it's going to end up in the courts at some point.

It will fail completely either at court or if they’re sensible they’ll quietly bin it.

• Like 2

Look what's happened to the club by doing things right. The top 6 are bricking it probably bar city. They're frightened of interlopers Newcastle. 

Imagine when we do have the decent sponsors in place etc and boost the spending 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

UEFA have tried to punish Man City and PSG in the past and I think both attempts failed on appeal. Spain has a different (stricter) system to us but we've seen both Real Madrid shitting themselves at not being able to meet the rules. Everton have spent very little over the last couple of years because they bet the house on a number of players who did absolutely nothing for them. But I can't think of anyone actually receiving any significant punishment for FFP breaches.

What we have to contend with though is the new 'Newcastle rule' that the other PL clubs have brought in whereby the PL can veto any related party sponsorship deals that they feel aren't at a fair market value. We've yet to see what this will look like in operation but my guess is that it's going to end up in the courts at some point.

other than ashworth and eales didn't we also fairly recently appoint some kind of high powered lawyer to the club? sure we did.

not got much personal experience with this type of solicitor/barrister/qc however I'm pretty sure a good (and slightly dodgy) criminal type one would blow the pl out the water!   :)

Edited by thebrokendoll

This sort of discussion makes me wonder if the club's narrative around the FFP is all for the development of a story to be presented in court when the time comes about our "honest attempt" to abide by and respect the regulations. Perhaps that way when it all blows up we look like the good guys who have tried our little cotton socks off to adhere to the rules and the other clubs pulling against us will look like they're being anti-competitive solely to protect their own interests. I like the idea at least.

• Thanks 1

Just hope there's a two legged Manchester derby on the horizon as I don't fancy our chances against Man City.  Either that or Southampton play a blinder in the quarters.

On 08/01/2023 at 04:30, Howay said:

They’re both finished tbf, and aye I’m aware Murphy is 27. 

Hopefully we see a response in this one, at least we will likely see a lot less of the real scrubs left from the Ashley era - had my fucking fill for the season seeing some of them. I know some fans have a new found liking for a lot of them but I personally don’t have time for a lot of them, I aim a ton of blame at a Bruce but a lot of those players deserve a sizable portion too which is why I can’t wait to see the back of them. Seeing Manquillos name on the team sheet always fills me with dread for example. Again totally understand this will take time but I really look forward to the day they’re all gone (Jonjo Shelvey included, I’ll be fucking buzzing when he finally isn’t darkening the door of SJP).

• Haha 4

So Leicester have only sold 700 tickets for this, mostly because they’ve won it twice in living memory + FA cup/league title and the fans aren’t really up for anything bar survival this season… tbh they sound like us in 06/07 but with added silverware :cuppa:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/130841-newcastle-away-league-cup-quarter-final-pre-match/page/8/#comments

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So Leicester have only sold 700 tickets for this, mostly because they’ve won it twice in living memory + FA cup/league title and the fans aren’t really up for anything bar survival this season… tbh they sound like us in 06/07 but with added silverware :cuppa:

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/130841-newcastle-away-league-cup-quarter-final-pre-match/page/8/#comments

Probably partly also due to it being a Tuesday night in January and they don't expect to come away with anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

Probably partly also due to it being a Tuesday night in January and they don't expect to come away with anything.

Aye that’ll do it like. Not a lot of recently found moral compasses on that thread which is refreshing. One lad says bar Isak who’s barely played our spending is in the West Ham/Villa bracket which is fair and tbh generous for your average punter…

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Aye that’ll do it like. Not a lot of recently found moral compasses on that thread which is refreshing. One lad says bar Isak who’s barely played our spending is in the West Ham/Villa bracket which is fair and tbh generous for your average punter…

I was having a chat with a few of the lads down my local last night - right mix of supporters - Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, etc. Every single one of them agreed that if PIF had taken over their club they'd be as happy as a pig in shit whilst still remaining critical of the human rights record. 

The majority who, as you say, have recently discovered their moral compass are generally keyboard warriors, steeped in jealousy and without the composure to be able to process it. 

• Like 4

If Saint-Maximin is fit, I’d go with him and move Joelinton into the midfield ahead of Willock. Purely because Willock is a far more effective sub than Longstaff if we need a goal. If Maxi has anything about him, he should be well up for a game like this. Big occasion to show what he’s about 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I wonder if Isak will start tonight.  Or will he be brought on later.

I suspect he'll start rather than throwing him on when the game is already up to full speed.  Give these lot a royal twatting in the first half then rest some key players early doors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If Saint-Maximin is fit, I’d go with him and move Joelinton into the midfield ahead of Willock. Purely because Willock is a far more effective sub than Longstaff if we need a goal. If Maxi has anything about him, he should be well up for a game like this. Big occasion to show what he’s about 

Aye, Dan Burn should be able to snap Perez in two within the first five minutes so he won't need too much help at the back.

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye, Dan Burn should be able to snap Perez in two within the first five minutes so he won't need too much help at the back.

Yep as the old saying goes......"GET INTO THEM AND FUCK THEM UP"

I think we're going to have to be patient tonight, we're not going to have them beaten in the first five minutes again and I can see their fringe players being up for it. 

Hopefully their poor following and our atmosphere/scarf carry on can push us enough to get the result. 

Managed to pick up a Newcastle vs Bruno scarf at backpage so I'll be waving that about like A GROWN MAN.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 09/01/2023 at 08:32, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It will fail completely either at court or if they’re sensible they’ll quietly bin it.

Absolutely. I think all would take is this - if a shirt sponsorship deal from Aramco (for example) is negotiated as £150m over the next 3 years ( or whatever). And the ‘independent’ people looking into suggest it’s above market value. I would ask them precisely what the market value is and how they’d arrived at that. They wouldn’t be able to do it because it’s far too subjective 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we're going to have to be patient tonight, we're not going to have them beaten in the first five minutes again and I can see their fringe players being up for it. 

Hopefully their poor following and our atmosphere/scarf carry on can push us enough to get the result. 

Managed to pick up a Newcastle vs Bruno scarf at backpage so I'll be waving that about like A GROWN MAN.

if you've been in the trent house since 11.30 this morning I'd be impressed if you could manage to wave it at all!  :)

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

if you've been in the trent house since 11.30 this morning I'd be impressed if you could manage to wave it at all!  :)

Haha :lol: 

Ive been grafting sadly. Had a vindaloo for dinner so I might use the scarf to blow the guff away.

• Haha 2