pATRICK vIEIRA'S cROYDON cockney wannabees v eDDIE hOWE'S slightly goal shy gEORDIE heroes.

thebrokendoll

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, but having said all that, something was really bugging me thus match. It's taken this mackem to pinpoint it. We're exactly like Birmingham City 14 years ago. :cry:

Screenshot_20230121_215746_Chrome.thumb.jpg.271a522158b77e1afb1487ee053ca3d6.jpg

Football team playing their first choice defence and keeper is definitely a shocker :lol:. In fact it reminds me a lot of when Liverpool played Allison, Alexander Arnold, Van Dijk, Gomez, and Robertson in nearly all their games in a season and won the league, or Manchester United playing Van Der Saar, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra, what the fuck do they witter on about stuff like that for?

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, but having said all that, something was really bugging me thus match. It's taken this mackem to pinpoint it. We're exactly like Birmingham City 14 years ago. :cry:

Screenshot_20230121_215746_Chrome.thumb.jpg.271a522158b77e1afb1487ee053ca3d6.jpg

Aye, we'll see who's laughing after those loan deals for Pope, Trippier and Botman end. Oh, wait....

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

ASM needs to start. 

We should make a move for Zaha 

If you mean that 30yo Zaha who looks like he's just done his hamstring I'd say your off your tits.

Palace looked much more of a threat after he was subbed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Football team playing their first choice defence and keeper is definitely a shocker :lol:. In fact it reminds me a lot of when Liverpool played Allison, Alexander Arnold, Van Dijk, Gomez, and Robertson in nearly all their games in a season and won the league, or Manchester United playing Van Der Saar, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, and Evra, what the fuck do they witter on about stuff like that for?

Not only is this making up of scenarios utterly mental, but why bother obsessing over our back line? I can honestly only name one player from their team - Luke O’Nien if he’s still there - because he appeared in the two or three episodes of STID I’ve watched. I haven’t a clue who their GK or defenders are. I also have no idea about their defensive stats nor do I give a shit. I find it really weird this is a talking point for some of them.

• Like 2

Disappointing result really for all the ball we had, couldn't create much in the way of clear cut chances.

Have to give some credit to Palace for that as they defended well, apart from the fact that one if theirs got away with a blatant second yellow that should have seen them a player down for more than a half. Seemed to be a good atmosphere in the stadium also. Also Jordan Ayew is a little diving prick and Zaha should have been carded when he went to ground trying to buy a penalty against Trippier.

5 hours ago, toonotl said:

The studio commentators for the Australian feed are complete wombats. Sherwood going on about Newcastle supporters being demanding and wanting to win the league already as we're impatient. The cunt is completely clueless. The main studio bitch reckoned this might be the 'best opportunity we get to finish in the Top 4'. Honestly, where do they find these people? We've been taken over by the PIF, mole, this is undoubtedly the first and least likely opportunity for us to finish in the top 4.

They're incredibly annoying, Sherwood has always annoyed me. He contradicted himself talking about how the fans expectations are excessive then later said we expect top four "and rightfully so". At least acknowledged that they should have been a man down. In general Sherwood's tune has changed so much since Howe came in, he's quite complementary of him but not of the club and our supporters.

As far as the commentators went that Seb Hutchinson was shockingly bad. I'm not sure why the anti-Newcastle bias but he picked on anything we did and gave them an easy ride. Efan Ekoku was fine, great in comparison to Hutchinson.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Schar MOTM for me. Thought he was pretty solid again.

When he's part of a defensive unit like we have he's fantastic. Has great vision and range of passing, is confident on the ball and generally has great judgement on when to get forward.

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Agreed. Imagine this a year ago at an away game in London. I've always argued that we'd have to transition from a counter attacking team to a team that dominates and I'm amazed how well we've done it. We've done the hard bit, we just need the final piece in the puzzle now, bulging the onion net. Look at these stats man. Away from home.

Screenshot_20230121_193232_Scores.thumb.jpg.148dcbbb4adeaf3ff96635f8f09a1237.jpg

What happened to the other shots which were neither on target nor off target? 

10 hours ago, NJS said:

It's the notion that we'll mirror Birmingham and get relegated next year that's the real batshit bit. 

that and the fact that every single one of them declared pope wasn't fit to lace the boots of the mackem t-rex, trippier was finished, botman was off to milan then when he didn't it was because he was shite, schar they'd never heard of and burn couldn't get in to the team at mid table brighton. 

just another in a long list of examples where their bizarre and twisted mackem logic comes back and well truly bites them on the arse.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

that and the fact that every single one of them declared pope wasn't fit to lace the boots of the mackem t-rex, trippier was finished, botman was off to milan then when he didn't it was because he was shite, schar they'd never heard of and burn couldn't get in to the team at mid table brighton. 

just another in a long list of examples where their bizarre and twisted mackem logic comes back and well truly bites them on the arse.

We’ve just broken the record for our longest unbeaten run in the top flight, we’re third , we drew 0-0 away to a decent side and one of them came in here to take the piss. There’s your mackem logic there. They’re 12th in the division below as it stands 

• Like 5

All mackem noncery aside, the draws, Wilson's form since the world cup, Almiron's downturn in form, ASM hasn't really looked at the races although maybe he needs to start a run of games, and just our general total lack of being clinical in front of goal is a major worry. At least two of those three could start scoring and Isak could chip in as well, but I can't help thinking that how successful our transfer is will dictate whether we finish in the top four or slide down to fifth or six.

We need a defensive mid, we also need somebody who can match Bruno in terms of threading a pass but also more consistently chip in with goals, that's obviously Maddison ideally, we need cover at full back, we need wingers/forwards who will at the very least compete with ASM, Joelinton and Almiron although I think ASM will leave sooner than later, and we need to replace Wood with someone who can contribute straight away as Eddie has said.

We won't do all that before the end of this month and probably not even by the end of the summer. I think we can cope without almost everything except the replacement for Wood and the goalscorer from midfield. Ziyech could be a very interesting loan to the end of the season given that he largely played in an attacking mid role for Ajax where he had a lot of success. Willock has given us a lot of energy from midfield but not a lot of end product lately. Talent wise at least Ziyech should be able to steal his place in the lineup. A replacement for Wood is difficult, but if rumours are to be believed Gordon is high on the list. The two aforementioned would give us a lot of flexibility given they can play in multiple positions. 

• Like 1

I don’t really listen podcasts very often but there was a one about a year back which featured that Emile Franchi (is that his name?) I think. Anyway it discussed how ASM is the sort of player you’d expect to be the perfect super sub. But the analysis showed he only ever made an impact when he started games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

All mackem noncery aside, the draws, Wilson's form since the world cup, Almiron's downturn in form, ASM hasn't really looked at the races although maybe he needs to start a run of games, and just our general total lack of being clinical in front of goal is a major worry. At least two of those three could start scoring and Isak could chip in as well, but I can't help thinking that how successful our transfer is will dictate whether we finish in the top four or slide down to fifth or six.

We need a defensive mid, we also need somebody who can match Bruno in terms of threading a pass but also more consistently chip in with goals, that's obviously Maddison ideally, we need cover at full back, we need wingers/forwards who will at the very least compete with ASM, Joelinton and Almiron although I think ASM will leave sooner than later, and we need to replace Wood with someone who can contribute straight away as Eddie has said.

We won't do all that before the end of this month and probably not even by the end of the summer. I think we can cope without almost everything except the replacement for Wood and the goalscorer from midfield. Ziyech could be a very interesting loan to the end of the season given that he largely played in an attacking mid role for Ajax where he had a lot of success. Willock has given us a lot of energy from midfield but not a lot of end product lately. Talent wise at least Ziyech should be able to steal his place in the lineup. A replacement for Wood is difficult, but if rumours are to be believed Gordon is high on the list. The two aforementioned would give us a lot of flexibility given they can play in multiple positions. 

Nice wish list but you seem to me to be being a bit pessimistic to me regarding 4th place. When you factor in GD we are 7 points ahead of spurs and 11 ahead of Chelsea or Liverpool. What makes you think we will start losing games and they will start winning them? I can't see it when I watch them play.

It just seems to me that we ourselves believe the media myth we're not Where we are on merit. If anything, considering the amount of draws we have got where dominated, I think we have less points than deserved. And I can't think of a single league game we deserved to lose (including Liverpool). Actually iirc we were fairly lucky against Brighton early doors, but that's it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Is it a major worry? We’re sitting in third, dominating games, could have a few more points on the board if not for some missed chances. We’re still not conceding goals let alone losing games and we’re in the semis of the league cup. Life is good 👍🏼 

• Like 2

While the lack of goals is a bit of a worry I think it’s due to a shift in how teams are playing us, a lot of teams are now happy with a draw against us and are setting up deeper. We’re one of the only teams other than the top 2-4 that look good in games consistently, we just need to now alter our attack to adapt to this shift with how teams are treating us. I think we will add more quality in attack before the window is closed. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Nice wish list but you seem to me to be being a bit pessimistic to me regarding 4th place. When you factor in GD we are 7 points ahead of spurs and 11 ahead of Chelsea or Liverpool. What makes you think we will start losing games and they will start winning them? I can't see it when I watch them play.

It just seems to me that we ourselves believe the media myth we're not Where we are on merit. If anything, considering the amount of draws we have got where dominated, I think we have less points than deserved. And I can't think of a single league game we deserved to lose (including Liverpool). Actually iirc we were fairly lucky against Brighton early doors, but that's it.

Firstly I do believe we are where we are on merit, but at the end of the day the amount of draws we're collecting could do for us come the end of the season. If we continue drawing a lot of games and some of the teams below us go on a winning run they could soon overtake us. Chelsea are unlikely to over take us, but Liverpool have a game in hand and then seven point becomes more doable. It would be a mistake to assume that Spurs and Liverpool can't string together a run before the end of the season given the quality of their squads, or at least the quality of their big players in Spurs' case. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is it a major worry? We’re sitting in third, dominating games, could have a few more points on the board if not for some missed chances. We’re still not conceding goals let alone losing games and we’re in the semis of the league cup. Life is good 👍🏼 

I'd say one goal is four and three draws to along with our general propensity to draw this season compared to our rivals is a worry. The problem is the missed chances. The missed chances are a sign that we don't have enough players who are clinical when in good positions. Longstaff is the prime example. He's a good player with many laudable qualities but he's not quite good enough to be a top four level player, and he won't be unless he turns around his conversion rate. I hope it's the case that players like Wilson, ASM and Almiron get their shooting boots back on soon and this mini drought in front of goal is just a blip, and or Howe and Ashworth make some clever signings or loans to bring us up a level in front of goal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Howay said:

While the lack of goals is a bit of a worry I think it’s due to a shift in how teams are playing us, a lot of teams are now happy with a draw against us and are setting up deeper. We’re one of the only teams other than the top 2-4 that look good in games consistently, we just need to now alter our attack to adapt to this shift with how teams are treating us. I think we will add more quality in attack before the window is closed. 

I think that's plausible, but surely teams would have cottoned on to the way we play and our form sooner than the last four games. And we obviously drew a  fair amount of games in the first half of the season. 

Just now, Polarboy said:

Firstly I do believe we are where we are on merit, but at the end of the day the amount of draws we're collecting could do for us come the end of the season. If we continue drawing a lot of games and some of the teams below us go on a winning run they could soon overtake us. Chelsea are unlikely to over take us, but Liverpool have a game in hand and then seven point becomes more doable. It would be a mistake to assume that Spurs and Liverpool can't string together a run before the end of the season given the quality of their squads, or at least the quality of their big players in Spurs' case. 

I'd say one goal is four and three draws to along with our general propensity to draw this season compared to our rivals is a worry. The problem is the missed chances. The missed chances are a sign that we don't have enough players who are clinical when in good positions. Longstaff is the prime example. He's a good player with many laudable qualities but he's not quite good enough to be a top four level player, and he won't be unless he turns around his conversion rate. I hope it's the case that players like Wilson, ASM and Almiron get their shooting boots back on soon and this mini drought in front of goal is just a blip, and or Howe and Ashworth make some clever signings or loans to bring us up a level in front of goal. 

this team and manager are definitely good enough for top 4. The only team to really trouble us since Liverpool away was Arsenal away. Happy days tbh