nathan jone's flock of rather nervous hampshire sheep v eddie howe's brokendollless swashbuckling semi-finalists.

thebrokendoll

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I don't WANT to know new things. I like knowing my OLD things.

If these lads were 20 years older they'd be pining for a return to imperial measures. :razz:

That's the point it's NOT new, it's the same, simply rebranded.

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Like those pesky KILOGRAMS. It doesn't weigh anymore, so why do I need to learn a new thing. 

It allows people to discuss things using common terms. There's nothing wrong with it ffs. 

Agreed. Some people seem to think new name = new thing though. That’s when some of us get accused of being somewhat somewhat behind the times…. Kilograms and pounds measure the same thing using a different scale, so that’s a bullshit comparison. Yet more misrepresenting. I could go on but Craig’s will to live is now on life support so I’ll leave it there :razz:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't WANT to know new things. I like knowing my OLD things.

If these lads were 20 years older they'd be pining for a return to imperial measures. :razz:

What’s new about the low block (except its name)? 

• Like 1

I’m going to start referring to it as a “compressed retreat” and call anyone who doesn’t join in an idiot. 

“Low block eh? I guess this chump doesn’t subscribe to mundial!”

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

What’s new about the low block (except its name)? 

Low block is just parking the bus

High press is a relatively recent thing though surely?

I dont remember seeing much of that before the last 5-10 years

Just now, ackas said:

Low block is just parking the bus

High press is a relatively recent thing though surely?

I dont remember seeing much of that before the last 5-10 years

High press has been used since at least the 70s 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Definitely, I met the Mrs in 1979 and until I showed her how to adjust the height of the Ironing board, it's all she ever did.

• Haha 13

Fuck me :lol:

You wouldn't have believe we'd just won the away leg of our first semi final in years on the reading of this thread...

I've never heard of a low block but if it helps Fish sleep at night, more power to him. Defining abstract concepts does tend to help people who are less informed though, so maybe for the veteran, seasoned fans of the game it's needless - but for the younger generation or more casual observers I can see it having some merit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Rayvin said:

You wouldn't have believe we'd just won the away leg of our first semi final in years on the reading of this thread...

I've never heard of a low block but if it helps Fish sleep at night, more power to him. Defining abstract concepts does tend to help people who are less informed though, so maybe for the veteran, seasoned fans of the game it's needless - but for the younger generation or more casual observers I can see it having some merit.

Look at you, coming in here and being all reasonable about it 

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

agree-clap.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Rayvin, regularly best poster on this forum :good: 🤣

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm obviously confused as to what a high press is then

Can't imagine it was that successful in the 70s and 80s when most teams played some variation of hoofball to a Mick Harford/John Fashanu type centre forward on a pitch that resembled a farmers field

6 minutes ago, ackas said:

Can't imagine it was that successful in the 70s and 80s when most teams played some variation of hoofball to a Mick Harford/John Fashanu type centre forward on a pitch that resembled a farmers field

Aye, Ajax were shite in the 70s 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ackas said:

Here is an article about Luverpool in the 70's and 80's describing a "high press" with Ian Rush as the first defender.

Proves everybody's point to be honest, people knew about defending from the front, but high press is now accepted as shorthand for the same thing.

Language evolves, sometimes it explains better, sometimes it's just different words for the same thing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/mar/16/sport.comment1

Edited by spongebob toonpants
Added the article
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

“Gengenpressing” 

“Git fuckin intae thum in their half, back each other up” 

Thats how Alex Ferguson could be taught how to play football in the 50s and still be winning champions leagues 50 years later, you still have to do the same things to win a game of football 👍

Getting into them isn't pressing the opponent within seconds of losing the ball. Allardyce's team, Stoke's teams would 'get into them' but they're not gegenpressing are they?

As Strawb says, it's not reinventing the wheel, it's just using language to better describe things. 

I guess what I don't understand, and I mean this genuinely, I don't understand why it bothers anybody? I used to say I watched a match online, now I stream it. I used to text people, now I message them. I used to search on the internet, now I google it. Haaland, Vardy, Aguero and Salah would all have been called strikers, now they'd be called Striker, poacher, False 9, and wide forward. ASM and Almiron would be called wingers. Bruno and Joelinton would both be called centre mids, but they're not the same are they?

So, given all that, why not use a term or phrase that better explains what they do? Genuinely, why?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, Ajax were shite in the 70s 👍🏻

Ok, it wasn't that mainstream or popular in the 70s ☺️
I'll always associate 70s Ajax with the concept of total football, rather than pressing

Anyway, I enjoy watching us high pressing or closing teams down or whatever its called

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Pretty condescending there Rayvin. I'm not less informed because I don't cling to the remnants of outdated language. I use some of the language the experts use, because they're using straightforward terms to describe larger concepts.