Anthony Gordon Handsome Winger Man

Ayatollah Hermione

I don't understand any of our supporters being outright against Gordon's signing before we've even seen him play in our side. Smells like mackem tbh. I think Howe and Ashworth have shown enough to make the argument that they know more than we do. For mine, the bare minimum should be to wait and see how things develop with Gordon before declaring it bad business.

Personally, I'm very optimistic. I think Gordon fits our system well. Essentially, he will provide on the left flank what Almiron provides on the right. He potentially provides us with a solution to the lop-sided and somewhat one-dimensional shape of our attack in recent matches against sides sitting in and trying to condense space. Gordon will stretch the pitch, play direct, run into the channels on occasion, and provide a goal threat running at defenders with pace and skill. These attributes also will act to provide more space to Almiron which then improves the balance of the side in attack to make us even harder to play against. Gordon arguably provides everything ASM provides in attack but with the added benefit of defensive awareness and workrate.

This isn't to say that ASM is now surplus to requirements in my opinion. Far from it. I love ASM. I hope he stays because he offers us something very special in attack. I am hopeful that Gordon is the replacement for Murphy. If we think back to earlier in the season Howe was starting Murphy on the left-flank as an inverted winger with Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield with Bruno sitting deeper and holding Willock on the bench to come on late for either Murphy or one of the two more progressive midfielders. I think this signing allows Howe to return to that setup with Gordon starting in place of Murphy and pushing Willock back to the bench to compete with Joelinton and Longstaff for a starting spot in midfield. (At least until we sign another midfield player, hopefully a hardworking 6 to replace Longstaff which allows Bruno to play a bit further forward.)

I'm not sure exactly where ASM fits in Howe's plans. It could be the case that ASM will eventually want away to resume his position as THE PLAYER in a smaller team, but I'm hopeful he still has a place within the squad to start when he deserves to (which he certainly does at the moment for example) and come off the bench when we need something extra. I love a flair French winger. And I don't trust anyone who doesn't tbh. This signing makes us better at the level of the squad. I don't think that is a controversial position.

• Like 8

I agree toonotl.

As people are saying, I think there are parallels with the reaction to Bellamy’s signing. I remember quotes from the Coventry City forum along the lines of ‘you’ve been done/ he’s crap/ Ill drive him there myself.’ 

The lad seems pacey and skilful with an eye for goal and willingness to graft. Plus a strong will to win. Sounds like he’ll fit right in - I dont see how his transfer can be a bad thing for us at all, but time will tell. 

$40m seems about the going rate for a young British well rated attacking player. His aggressive snidey behaviour doesnt bother me at all as long as he doesnt get sent off. Im sure theyll have done their research on him as a person so lets wait and see how he turns out.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Kitman said:

I agree toonotl.

As people are saying, I think there are parallels with the reaction to Bellamy’s signing. I remember quotes from the Coventry City forum along the lines of ‘you’ve been done/ he’s crap/ Ill drive him there myself.’ 

The lad seems pacey and skilful with an eye for goal and willingness to graft. Plus a strong will to win. Sounds like he’ll fit right in - I dont see how his transfer can be a bad thing for us at all, but time will tell. 

$40m seems about the going rate for a young British well rated attacking player. His aggressive snidey behaviour doesnt bother me at all as long as he doesnt get sent off. Im sure theyll have done their research on him as a person so lets wait and see how he turns out.

"His aggressive snidey behaviour doesnt bother me at all as long as he doesnt get sent off. Im sure theyll have done their research on him as a person so lets wait and see how he turns out"

Thats the only thing he needs to change or stop.........a bit of shithousery is ok but cut out the diving  / cheating........he certainly was not my first/second/third choice but he's here now so lets see 

• Like 1

45 mil for a headless chook. Imagine how much he would have cost if he could actually play football. We got rinsed.

3 hours ago, toonotl said:

Gordon arguably provides everything ASM provides in attack 

Not even close mate. 

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

2 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

45 mil for a headless chook. Imagine how much he would have cost if he could actually play football. We got rinsed.

Not even close mate. 

John Candy Lol GIF

• Haha 6

He's certainly not the glamour signing most of us wanted but, as others have mentioned, his work rate and pace will fit right in with our style of play. 

Yeah he's fugly and will bring the average looks of the squad down but his Mrs has big tits so there's that. :lol:

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, toonotl said:

I don't understand any of our supporters being outright against Gordon's signing before we've even seen him play in our side. Smells like mackem tbh. I think Howe and Ashworth have shown enough to make the argument that they know more than we do. For mine, the bare minimum should be to wait and see how things develop with Gordon before declaring it bad business.

Personally, I'm very optimistic. I think Gordon fits our system well. Essentially, he will provide on the left flank what Almiron provides on the right. He potentially provides us with a solution to the lop-sided and somewhat one-dimensional shape of our attack in recent matches against sides sitting in and trying to condense space. Gordon will stretch the pitch, play direct, run into the channels on occasion, and provide a goal threat running at defenders with pace and skill. These attributes also will act to provide more space to Almiron which then improves the balance of the side in attack to make us even harder to play against. Gordon arguably provides everything ASM provides in attack but with the added benefit of defensive awareness and workrate.

This isn't to say that ASM is now surplus to requirements in my opinion. Far from it. I love ASM. I hope he stays because he offers us something very special in attack. I am hopeful that Gordon is the replacement for Murphy. If we think back to earlier in the season Howe was starting Murphy on the left-flank as an inverted winger with Joelinton and Longstaff in midfield with Bruno sitting deeper and holding Willock on the bench to come on late for either Murphy or one of the two more progressive midfielders. I think this signing allows Howe to return to that setup with Gordon starting in place of Murphy and pushing Willock back to the bench to compete with Joelinton and Longstaff for a starting spot in midfield. (At least until we sign another midfield player, hopefully a hardworking 6 to replace Longstaff which allows Bruno to play a bit further forward.)

I'm not sure exactly where ASM fits in Howe's plans. It could be the case that ASM will eventually want away to resume his position as THE PLAYER in a smaller team, but I'm hopeful he still has a place within the squad to start when he deserves to (which he certainly does at the moment for example) and come off the bench when we need something extra. I love a flair French winger. And I don't trust anyone who doesn't tbh. This signing makes us better at the level of the squad. I don't think that is a controversial position.

Ageee with most of this except I think Gordon is Fraser’s replacement. I think Murphy will hang around as a squad player for another season or two. Howe seems to like him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ageee with most of this except I think Gordon is Fraser’s replacement. I think Murphy will hang around as a squad player for another season or two. Howe seems to like him 

Aye. Murphy has the athleticism and pace to come on as sub and press whereas Fraser doesn’t so much. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2