Wor Eddie's Fuck The Draw Bastards v Eriks Schmoking the Pancake School Meal Wankers - AKA The League Cup Final + Gemmill Loves Excel

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Good retort Tbf. Does anyone actually take any notice of True Faith any more? We didn’t lose that match because of a losing mentality. 

I thought it was a great response.  TF I gave up on the errrmmmmm like, errrrrmmm, well, errrrrmmmmm like. Podcast ages ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Good retort Tbf. Does anyone actually take any notice of True Faith any more? We didn’t lose that match because of a losing mentality. 

aye, that take is bollocks. The players worked their arses off, has loads of the ball and played some really nice stuff between the boxes. They just weren’t good enough in the final third. I don’t see how that’s anything to do with mentality. What was it we were saying - we just want a team that tries? Well we have that now. 

• Like 2

As I wasn’t invited to post-match gloom at gloomy I had to join a group of lads who took care of me. We tried to go into the Dolphin but that was shut and they went to a different place. I made an escape but probably should have stuck with them. I might have kept hold of my mobile then and not upset my stomach.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

aye, that take is bollocks. The players worked their arses off, has loads of the ball and played some really nice stuff between the boxes. They just weren’t good enough in the final third. I don’t see how that’s anything to do with mentality. What was it we were saying - we just want a team that tries? Well we have that now. 

It's the sort of thing lazy pundits say, the ones that watch Man Utd and Liverpool only and have a small database of lines to say for other teams on the basis it'll likely be passable commentary on the situation despite being utter shite. He's picked it off them.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

We're not even 'miles away', we literally got to the cup final, had a lot of the ball, played some good stuff too. If Wilson was on form, or if we had another Bruno-level player I think we could have won that game.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We're not even 'miles away', we literally got to the cup final, had a lot of the ball, played some good stuff too. If Wilson was on form, or if we had another Bruno-level player I think we could have won that game.

we weren’t even that far away from winning it on Sunday. 61% possession in a cup final against Man U and 14 shots. Who would have predicted that this time last year?

If you believe in xG then we should have won as we beat them on that stat too.

The gap really isn’t that big at all. I thought Man U were deeply unimpressive. This Newcastle side still contains plenty of players who were in a relegation battle under Bruce. That side wound have struggled to have 30% possession. If Maxi or Joe finished their chances - or if we had a fit Wilson - we could have won that. 

One thing that bothered me was our reluctance to have a shot. For all our dominance in possession, we kept working it around their box instead of getting

shots off. Murphy looked up for it in that regard and was unlucky with his effort from distance that went just wide. I don’t know if that’s something that’s being coached - wait for the high value opportunities in other words, or just a case of big match nerves.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we weren’t even that far away from winning it on Sunday. 61% possession in a cup final against Man U and 14 shots. Who would have predicted that this time last year?

If you believe in xG then we should have won as we beat them on that stat too.

The gap really isn’t that big at all. I thought Man U were deeply unimpressive. This Newcastle side still contains plenty of players who were in a relegation battle under Bruce. That side wound have struggled to have 30% possession. If Maxi or Joe finished their chances - or if we had a fit Wilson - we could have won that. 

One thing that bothered me was our reluctance to have a shot. For all our dominance in possession, we kept working it around their box instead of getting

shots off. Murphy looked up for it in that regard and was unlucky with his effort from distance that went just wide. I don’t know if that’s something that’s being coached - wait for the high value opportunities in other words, or just a case of big match nerves.

Precisely why I don't. 

They were clinical in their finishing, we weren't.

• Like 3

I take the positives from what Fish and Gloom are saying whilst still maintaining Man Utd didn’t have to do a lot to beat us. We played ok but there wasn’t any point that I thought we’d win. Man Utd knew too much, without shutting us down completely they were confident they’d keep us out. I don’t think we’d have scored if we were still playing now..,

• Like 8

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

I take the positives from what Fish and Gloom are saying whilst still maintaining Man Utd didn’t have to do a lot to beat us. We played ok but there wasn’t any point that I thought we’d win. Man Utd knew too much, without shutting us down completely they were confident they’d keep us out. I don’t think we’d have scored if we were still playing now..,

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Precisely why I don't. 

Isnt that what xG is telling us?

xG isnt saying we should have won, its saying they scored 2 from chances that were worth way less than that, so their finishing was clinical
We scored 0, when we could have expected to score 1 goal, so we were relatively wasteful

Its just confirming exactly what you said...

Anyway, we are less than 18 months into new ownership and we've been to Wembley, which is more than the previous ownership achieved in 14 years

The future's bright, the future is Black and White

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

Precisely why I don't. 

Were they? The first goal was horrible for all sorts of reasons, but there was the whiff of offside about it. Admittedly it was a fantastic free kick, the type we used to be able to produce more often, very hard to defend against. The second goal was pure luck. And I don't recall Karius being troubled much after this. 

They deserved to win, without a doubt, xG is not actual goals. But let's not big up ManU. The game was settled on fine margins. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

You're right, Craig still doesn't understand what xG is measuring. 

But he verbalised an irrelevant measurement perfectly. Strange that, being able to tell what’s happening on the pitch by actually watching the game 😀

• Haha 1

"It's goals that count, innit".

I'll never forget the Chelsea wankers coming out with that on the tube back from Wembley in 2000. And tbf, it's impossible to argue against.

As an aside, I wonder what the xG would have been that match at home we had against ManU when we effectively lost the league in 1996. The one where Smiechel was super human. Can someone work this out retrospectively so I can comfort myself?  

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Lads look, you don't believe in statistical measures, I don't believe in fairies. Let's focus on our common ground instead of our differences. 

You started it :lol: 

We don’t need xG. I think it’s for those less confident in their opinions :cuppa:

48 minutes ago, Craig said:

Precisely why I don't. 

Well one goal was a deflected shot that wasn’t going in. Karius didn’t have a lot to do. Great set piece for their goal though. De Gea made a good save from Maxi but it was good positioning. If that shot was a matter of 6 inches higher he probably doesn’t have a hope of saving it. xG will never tell the whole story of a match (like how they were able to sit on  their 2 goal cushion in the second half). But it’s still a good indicator of how a match has played out 

Edited by Alex