good music biopic?

zico martin

just saw walk the line last week and really enjoyed it! Jacquin Phoenix was excellent as Cash, even more so when you realise that he did all the singing himself ( no dubbing) and learnt to play the guitar from scratch for the role.

Anyway after Ray last year it got me thinking about what other films should be made about musicians. What do you guys reckon?

I'll start by suggesting Leonard Cohen :icon_lol:

aye, I listened to the soundtrack of the film the other day, and Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon do a great job with the singing!

Made we wanna see the movie.

just saw walk the line last week and really enjoyed it!  Jacquin Phoenix was excellent as Cash, even more so when you realise that he did all the singing himself ( no dubbing) and learnt to play the guitar from scratch for the role. 

Anyway after Ray last year it got me thinking about what other films should be made about musicians.  What do you guys reckon?

I'll start by suggesting Leonard Cohen  :icon_lol:

102283[/snapback]

I was gobsmacked at how close he sounded to Cash, the guitar playing not so much so, they're not that hard.

Biopic - Scooter or Jim Corr.

Edited by DotBum

Anyone seen "dogs in space" it's actually a biopic of a Melbourne band.

And although Michael Hutchence plays the singer Sam, it's a good representation of Sam the singer and the musical place Melboure was at that time.

A bio pic on JMC would be interesting - a cross between a music pic and fight club.

Anyone seen "dogs in space" it's actually a biopic of a Melbourne band.

And although Michael Hutchence plays the singer Sam, it's a good representation of Sam the singer and the musical place Melboure was at that time.

A bio pic on JMC would be interesting - a cross between a music pic and fight club.

102419[/snapback]

Yep, good film for its time, good performance by Hutchence too.

just saw walk the line last week and really enjoyed it!  Jacquin Phoenix was excellent as Cash, even more so when you realise that he did all the singing himself ( no dubbing) and learnt to play the guitar from scratch for the role. 

Anyway after Ray last year it got me thinking about what other films should be made about musicians.  What do you guys reckon?

I'll start by suggesting Leonard Cohen  :icon_lol:

102283[/snapback]

We lived in the STates not long after his Folsom Prison gig and the scenes set in small town middle America were truly spooky..................... and there are a lot of people around like his old man......

Mrs W actually saw Cash play in Las Vegas in the 80's and reckons it was an amazingly accurate performace by Phoenix

one that I've got massive hopes for is the Ian Curtis one they are going to start shooting in May.

Anton Corbjin, who did the Depeche Mode videos like 'Enjoy the Silence' is directing and working off the book by Curtis' widow. He was an absolute Joy Division nut, so I hope it'll be top.

Last Days (Kurt Cobain) is shit.

Beyond The Sea (Bobby Darin) is shit.

Ray (Charles) is canny, if a little too sanitised.

Amadeus (Mozart) is on my pile to watch but is meant to be class.

Backbeat (The Beatles) is shit.

The Doors was disappointing.

I think there's potential in a Robert Johnson film (Crossroads was great, but not particularlyly about him). Aretha Franklin went through some shit, Peter Green too.

A Frank Sinatra/Rat Pack film would be class.

Peter Green?

FFS that''ll be terrible - one stoned out brain fried rocker wandering around Twickenham for 30 years being pitied by everyone...............

Peter Green?

FFS  that''ll be terrible - one stoned out brain fried rocker wandering around Twickenham for 30 years being pitied by everyone...............

102511[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Just like Last Days, but with a happy ending (a low key tour of small english town halls).

one that I've got massive hopes for is the Ian Curtis one they are going to start shooting in May.

Anton Corbjin, who did the Depeche Mode videos like 'Enjoy the Silence' is directing and working off the book by Curtis' widow. He was an absolute Joy Division nut, so I hope it'll be top.

102492[/snapback]

Sort of been done (but not exactly) with 24 Hour Party, which I thought was canny good.

This one goes from just before he met his wife and the Warsaw days to his death, so it's pretty specific and condensed timewise.

It's also got the support of the Joy Division memebers, so it should be pretty true to how it happened. Which to be honest means there'll be some pretty grim stuff in it, but it wasn't a sugar sweet story.

This one goes from just before he met his wife and the Warsaw days to his death, so it's pretty specific and condensed timewise.

It's also got the support of the Joy Division memebers, so it should be pretty true to how it happened. Which to be honest means there'll be some pretty grim stuff in it, but it wasn't a sugar sweet story.

102527[/snapback]

Sounds good, plus Anton Corbijn is class.

Vanilla Ice:  The Early Years. 

Just to see how tough it was for him growing up on the streets and that. :icon_lol:

102546[/snapback]

He actually had cred back in da day and supported Public Enemy. A certain world-wide hit soon put that right.

Just to see how tough it was for him growing up on the streets and that. :icon_lol:

102546[/snapback]

He actually had cred back in da day and supported Public Enemy. A certain world-wide hit soon put that right.

102556[/snapback]

I imagine being called Robert Van Winkle probably put that right from the moment he was born.

102546[/snapback]

102556[/snapback]

I imagine being called Robert Van Winkle probably put that right from the moment he was born.

102584[/snapback]

Ice T is called Tracey Marrow iirc