So, what does everyone think of xG - good or bad?

Dr Gloom

5 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

liverpool scored 7 from xG of 2.79

whats the point of it ?

There's no point.

That's the point.

The whole xG thing was invented to increase traffic on footy bulletin boards.

• Haha 2

I think it’s probably a useful analytical tool. From a professional / academic pov. I’ve got next to no interest in discussing it much though. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think it’s probably a useful analytical tool. From a professional / academic pov. I’ve got next to no interest in discussing it much though

Please Please GIFs | Tenor

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 02:53, LongTimeAdmirer said:

The xG crowd just taking the piss now

0OcMvMj.png

I like this stat. Seen something similar with goal kicks too.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2023 at 17:04, Dr Gloom said:

We are underperforming our xG, apparently. Make of that what you will

https://theathletic.com/4510071/2023/05/12/premier-league-xg-scoring/?source=user_shared_article

And when you consider Almiron, Wilson and Isak are significantly overperforming their xG you have to look at the drop off in midfield and defence.

image.png.425405490e0721a4999957f339539cf2.png

Willock is the most wasteful.

What's killing us is set pieces, we're creating so many good opportunities but our defenders haven't scored a single goal from them. In fact, our only goals from defenders were Schar's thunderbastard against Forest in our first game and Trippier's freekick against Man City in our 3rd game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And when you consider Almiron, Wilson and Isak are significantly overperforming their xG you have to look at the drop off in midfield and defence.

image.png.425405490e0721a4999957f339539cf2.png

Willock is the most wasteful.

What's killing us is set pieces, we're creating so many good opportunities but our defenders haven't scored a single goal from them. In fact, our only goals from defenders were Schar's thunderbastard against Forest in our first game and Trippier's freekick against Man City in our 3rd game.

You don't need spreadsheets and xG to tell you that though. Does this include corners btw? I can't seem to find any information on that and my memory for goals is shit. I did find we have won the most corners of any PL side mind, 249 of the bastards this season! Have we fucking not converted any of them? 

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

You don't need spreadsheets and xG to tell you that though. Does this include corners btw? I can't seem to find any information on that and my memory for goals is shit. I did find we have won the most corners of any PL side mind, 249 of the bastards this season! Have we fucking not converted any of them? 

There is, I've asked someone on twitter to provide

24 minutes ago, Renton said:

Screenshot_20230515_150735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1b2293f62f287e1b1ff42ddb7e65dd7.jpg

We're massively underperforming our xG from corners and set pieces as per the above.

I don't get it like. I thought all our goals came from scrappy set pieces, throw ins etc. But this implies we score mainly from open play like Barcelona, Brazil, or the mackems?  

image.png.7ddef5f399c5328df58023ec109733d1.png

• Haha 4