So, what does everyone think of xG - good or bad?

Dr Gloom

The maddening thing is Scharr gets on the end of loads of corners but couldn't hit a barn door, he must wear some form of handsomeness cloaking device but his head is in reality like this:

image.png.ab9598ddc576107baaec4275fe38af14.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It’s hard to work out if they are joking or not half the time.

No, it's not a joke. Part of their coping mechanism, like their imagined "classiness", is that we are ultimately hoofball merchants and regarded as the Luton of the PL. And they really do believe that they are 1970s Brazil. It's mind boggling. 

53 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Understat.com is class. That's where I got the above table from.

Lad on twitter does a good deep dive

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I don't get it like. I thought all our goals came from scrappy set pieces, throw ins etc. But this implies we score mainly from open play like Barcelona, Brazil, or the mackems?  

image.png.7ddef5f399c5328df58023ec109733d1.png

Remember all those occasions when Stoke and Wimbledon qualified for Europe? 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remember all those occasions when Stoke and Wimbledon qualified for Europe? 

You don’t remember Stokes famous 2011-2012 season in Europe where it took the might of Valencia to knock them out? 

Edited by Holden McGroin

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

You don’t remember Stokes famous 2011-2012 season in Europe where it took the might of Valencia to knock them out? 

Yeah in fairness they’ve had two more seasons in Europe than the mighty Black Cats. But neither them or Wimbledon are known for their European pedigree. And Europa League is the worst we’re doing in terms of next season. I’d also say Stoke played a bit of football for a while under Pulis with genuine wingers. But my point was more teams of dirty cloggers rarely get into Europe via the premier league. Even more so now 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

I mean, I don't know what to make of this. I watched half of the mackem match and yeah, tbh they played well. Not quite Brazil 1970s, Holland's turtle football, or Barca tiki tapa, but well enough for that level. That ManU player Diallo took a great free kick, something we are missing this season as discussed. But to describe the mackem's description of their side as hyperbolic is something of an understatement. They were also quite dirty, both in terms of fouls and simulated dives. They're 18th in their fair play league, compared with 8th for ours, so definitely more dirty than us. 

I can only imagine it's because they have been starved of anything other than absolute desperate football for years, decades, centuries even. This season, we are already guaranteed to finish higher than their best season fo 68 years after all. Wow. Just looking at these Sunderland stats, the pride they have in their 6 league titles. I was unaware only one was after WW1 (and before WW2). And half of their titles were literally in the 1800's, two centuries ago. Won't be a human left alive on the planet to have even potentially witnessed these.  :lol:

• Like 2

They were dire until they got a goal out of the blue. The crowd was audibly turning on them.

I got to see some of their players for the first time. Jack Clarke is being raved about but looked weak as piss.

Edited by Holden McGroin

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

They were dire until they got a goal out of the blue. The crowd was audibly turning on them.

I got to see some of their players for the first time. Jack Clarke is being raved about but looked weak as piss.

They would need 8 to 10 new players to stay up, at least. And that's not counting two of their best players are loanees. Can you imagine Luke Onion in the premiership? :lol:

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I mean, I don't know what to make of this. I watched half of the mackem match and yeah, tbh they played well. Not quite Brazil 1970s, Holland's turtle football, or Barca tiki tapa, but well enough for that level. That ManU player Diallo took a great free kick, something we are missing this season as discussed. But to describe the mackem's description of their side as hyperbolic is something of an understatement. They were also quite dirty, both in terms of fouls and simulated dives. They're 18th in their fair play league, compared with 8th for ours, so definitely more dirty than us. 

I can only imagine it's because they have been starved of anything other than absolute desperate football for years, decades, centuries even. This season, we are already guaranteed to finish higher than their best season fo 68 years after all. Wow. Just looking at these Sunderland stats, the pride they have in their 6 league titles. I was unaware only one was after WW1 (and before WW2). And half of their titles were literally in the 1800's, two centuries ago. Won't be a human left alive on the planet to have even potentially witnessed these.  :lol:

Aye they won their last one before the war (and were the last team to win the league wearing stripes as their home kit I think, oddly enough). But the other 5 were before World War One and 3 of them were before 1900.