Sexy Eddie's The REAL United vs The Bald Fraud's Moonface-Free Manchester Team

Gemmill

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I watched about 2 minutes of the True Faith podcast just to see what boils wyki’s piss so much. They appear to be just a couple of boring know nowts. Charlotte hoyed in a few swears to mask what a terminally dull middle class bint she is. And Tory boy makes her sound interesting. I can’t understand why anyone would bother listening to their views 

I enjoy coming on here and reading people's opinions, I like the humour and enjoy the sudden and bizarre tangents a thread can take. I don't mind in the slightest chipping in a few quid to help maintain the site.

not a fucking hope in hell am i forking out to listen to the views of some tory prick who prostitutes himself out to the daily mail and his vacious sidekick.

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

The only thing that is slightly annoying about yesterday is not putting away a few more chances and giving them another humiliation (in terms of the score). But anyone who watched that and can’t accept that we dominated them in pretty much every department is kidding themselves 

Aye, would have been nice if we could have stuck another 4 past them, giving them a GD of 0. 

54 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

I enjoy coming on here and reading people's opinions, I like the humour and enjoy the sudden and bizarre tangents a thread can take. I don't mind in the slightest chipping in a few quid to help maintain the site.

not a fucking hope in hell am i forking out to listen to the views of some tory prick who prostitutes himself out to the daily mail and his vacious sidekick.

don’t hold back here, tell us what you really think :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Hopefully that's the confidence booster Wilson needed to get his act back together again.

How does he get back into a starting role though, unless its through an Isak injury?

He doesn't have to start. There's immense value in having an in form Wilson in the squad for the run in. 

It's already very clear Isak can be a special player. He should always be starting but he won't play 270 minutes in a week, especially not with the way we play. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Longstaff is still a problem in my eyes - he seems to get more chances to score than our forwards but just doesn't have the composure or finishing ability. Can only imagine that he's in that advanced role because he's not trusted further back? I still think we need a midfielder who can make those late arrival runs into the box but actually convert the chances. Our profligate finishing really feels like it's coming from that position - we make enough chances for these players (Willock included here tbh) but they just don't put them away.

Am I being harsh? It's really how it looks to me but I guess I only saw the highlights from yesterday (still pissed about that).

Longstaff isn't a problem, as such, he's just not an elite footballer. We're way ahead of schedule here and he, like many in the squad, were supposed to be the bridge between midtable and Europe, not midtable and Champions League. He will need replacing, but as has been said goal scoring CL-level midfielders are rare as rocking-horse shit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I mean tbh I was just thinking someone like Maddison would work for it. Would be interested @The Fish to see the relative xG and conversions of Longstaff and Willock versus other players in their position.

I could be wrong like but our attacking players seem to create really good chances that our onrushing midfield players seem to struggle to put away. I reckon that's the whole issue in terms of our profligacy tbh.

I chose a few similar-ish players

image.png.42363808ed6d3424830961c85235c614.png

0.04 goals per 90 for Longstaff, from ~1 shot per 90, he is clearly not a great finisher though. 0.26 shots on target per 90 and only 0.17 goals, per shot on target. He's underperforming his xG, but the sample size is so small it's difficult to extrapolate too much. 

54 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Longstaff isn't a problem, as such, he's just not an elite footballer. We're way ahead of schedule here and he, like many in the squad, were supposed to be the bridge between midtable and Europe, not midtable and Champions League. He will need replacing, but as has been said goal scoring CL-level midfielders are rare as rocking-horse shit.

If this squad qualifies for CL, a large part of me feels like they deserve a crack at it instead of being replaced outright, maybe a few extra additions to balance out the extra European games

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I chose a few similar-ish players

image.png.42363808ed6d3424830961c85235c614.png

0.04 goals per 90 for Longstaff, from ~1 shot per 90, he is clearly not a great finisher though. 0.26 shots on target per 90 and only 0.17 goals, per shot on target. He's underperforming his xG, but the sample size is so small it's difficult to extrapolate too much. 

Is there anything available for distance covered for the same players?

Always feels like Willock and Longstaff cover every blade of grass, while Maddison is more comparable to Maxi in terms of distance covered.

21 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

If this squad qualifies for CL, a large part of me feels like they deserve a crack at it instead of being replaced outright, maybe a few extra additions to balance out the extra European games

That's not how progress works.

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

No, they deserve to have a nice goodbye on the field, like Shelvey did. Just before our Round of 16 game against Ajax.

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That's not how progress works.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, they deserve to have a nice goodbye on the field, like Shelvey did. Just before our Round of 16 game against Ajax.

:lol:

How would you feel if you were a big part of getting CL football and then come summer you get shipped? Would leave a bad taste in your mouth 

You were good enough to get their under Eddies coaching right? Who says you couldn't reach another extra step?

The high intensity Eddie plays at means we'd  need a massive squad if we get into Europe.

We'd need to bin the deadwood off (manquillo, Ritchie, Lascelles, Lewis etc etc) and then get better talent in to replace them.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

Just now, LongTimeAdmirer said:

:lol:

How would you feel if you were a big part of getting CL football and then come summer you get shipped? Would leave a bad taste in your mouth 

You were good enough to get their under Eddies coaching right? Who says you couldn't reach another extra step?

I mean what you're suggesting is fucking mental and just not how the world operates. You don't make progress to the next level and then put things on pause to see how the current set of players does.

Best case scenario you slow your progress down massively, worst case you bring it to a complete standstill. And that goes for every competition you're playing in. Neither are good outcomes.

• Haha 1

Get rid of the deadwood - Ritchie, manquillo, Dummet etc - and keep the players who have performed this season, adding more quality to the squad in the summer.

Longstaff, Burn, Miggy etc - even Murphy -

will all play an important part next season as we compete across 4 tournaments. They’ll just play fewer minutes. That is progress 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I mean what you're suggesting is fucking mental and just not how the world operates. You don't make progress to the next level and then put things on pause to see how the current set of players does.

Best case scenario you slow your progress down massively, worst case you bring it to a complete standstill. And that goes for every competition you're playing in. Neither are good outcomes.

Just imagine...

Imagine...

Modric and Kroos getting bossed by Willock and Longstaff :wank:

Edited by LongTimeAdmirer
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Vurnon Anita 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1