your first away game..... can you find a video?

thebrokendoll

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I always thought KK would've been happy enough just putting the turnstile operator in goal. :lol:

Wasn’t Stevie Watson sometimes named as the third sub (which was intended for a sub-keeper when it first came in) on the basis he was decent in goal should the need arise? Possibly the only position he didn’t play for us 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wasn’t Stevie Watson sometimes named as the third sub (which was intended for a sub-keeper when it first came in) on the basis he was decent in goal should the need arise? Possibly the only position he didn’t play for us 

It wouldn't surprise me. KK inherited Pav and Tommy Wright, only keepers I remember him buying was Hooper who was a disaster waiting to happen and Shaka who never really convinced me at all. Definitely a weak part of KK's management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

He could easily have made it pro as a keeper. Athletic freak.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

didn't make that one in holland, was at the home leg game a week or two later and nearly missed kick off. 8 hours from cheltenham, probably remains a record for the journey!

I was the driver, took mrs bd and me chauffeur..... probably the last time it was my turn to drive actually!   :lol:

My first missus at the time was working on secondment for KPMG in their London office at the time and just by chance was in Newcastle for a meeting when the tickets went on sale and was lucky enough to get two.

She knew I was coming over to see her for Easter and we'd planned a trip to Paris but after getting the tickets we went via Eindhoven. Was fucking amazing, the fans for both sides were great with each other and pub we stayed at couldn't understand why two Australians were there to see a Newcastle match. 

I remember there was a chip van in the city that made the best chips I've ever had, no you can keep the mayo thanks.

Unfortunately that was also the last trip with the missus, as six months later she can home, packed up her stuff and fucked off to London permanently.

Oh well, at least we didn't lose.

Edited by sammynb
  • Haha 5

Lovely sunny day. I think I was 19…I agreed to go when I was mortal drunk, @Ugly Mackems sorted me a ticket out.

Seem to remember the pitch being higher than the seat I was in which was weird. Had a good time didn’t lose, didn’t get filled in and got back to York (Uni) no bother. 

Mad game as well.

• Like 2

Not the safest I've felt tbh, walking on me tod to meet my uncle at the car (he'd been in the seats)

Scarf hidden under coat, pretend gutted look on my face but singing inside 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

John Hendrie equalising, Bessant pulling off a world class save and then Mirandinha milking it at the Kop.  Not a bad first away game as a 12 year old.

That was just joyful, as a one off game not a lot has matched it since. Maybe Pompey at home 92, Feyenoord and a few others… 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

That was just joyful, as a one off game not a lot has matched it since. Maybe Pompey at home 92, Feyenoord and a few others… 

It's my favourite non-Mackem match by a mile. 

Dodgy as fuck wandering of the streets trying to get back to the train station as well until me and my mate stumbled on a taxi just as a load of lads had started clocking us.

Happy 80s days. 

• Like 3

Can only find a video of the preview. Mackems away in September 1989. Finished 0-0 but only got to see the second half as the train in front of us mysteriously :quotes: broke down :quotes: for an hour and then suddenly disappeared into thin air. Meanwhile the police refused to delay the KO. Cunts!

• Like 1

Would have been the away game furthest from Newcastle if it wasn't for the game in Dunedin on the same tour.

• Like 3

On 27/03/2023 at 14:11, David Kelly said:

John Hendrie equalising, Bessant pulling off a world class save and then Mirandinha milking it at the Kop.  Not a bad first away game as a 12 year old.

I could've been at this one but declined, the memory of my first away a couple of months earlier, a 4-0 hammering across the road at Goodison then fresh in my mind, my mates going on about it afterwards and me sitting kicking myself is still vivid. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Can only find a video of the preview. Mackems away in September 1989. Finished 0-0 but only got to see the second half as the train in front of us mysteriously :quotes: broke down :quotes: for an hour and then suddenly disappeared into thin air. Meanwhile the police refused to delay the KO. Cunts!

You didn't miss much bar the usual punches thrown between fans as our lot always went in the home sections of Roker if they didn't have tickets. :lol: (RTG don't seem to bring it up much despite loving retro threads and obviously seeing how nails they are/were). I don't recall seeing them do the same up here and if they did they were wise enough to do it in very small numbers and keep schtum). It's almost as if they make up a lot of shite or believe others who were there who lied about it if they were too young. I was there so would would literally laugh in their face if they tried to contradict what my eyes saw first hand rather than some myth from the RTG storytellers whose story must be told. 😁

• Like 1

re the liverpool game in '88. was at that too, the day got better though.

a few months earlier we'd had a holiday in cala major in majorca, spent the best part of a fortnight with a group of lasses from padgate nr warrington and after the match we headed up there to meet up with them again.

the young bd got his leg over with the blonde sat down. sadly not miss pert tits who was less than impressed with me for taking photos of her boobies!  :)20230328_153249.thumb.jpg.149bd37f32d382301f23bd2c43db3a08.jpg

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

a few months earlier we'd had a holiday in cala major in majorca, spent the best part of a fortnight with a group of lasses from padgate nr warrington and after the match we headed up there to meet up with them again.

the young bd got his leg over with the blonde sat down. sadly not miss pert tits who was less than impressed with me for taking photos of her boobies!  :)20230328_153249.thumb.jpg.149bd37f32d382301f23bd2c43db3a08.jpg

I’m sure she’ll be thrilled when she sees you’ve posted them online then :lol:

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

the young bd got his leg over with the blonde sat down. sadly not miss pert tits who was less than impressed with me for taking photos of her boobies!  :)

What was his name ??

image.png.1c45c6e69f1d50f1e5cf1d773f3be03c.png

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Toonpack, do you want me to see if I can get you his number?

looking back I think I might've been whooshed in my earlier reply.  :lol:

not seen dave a few years now, probably still drinks in the turnpike at west denton, will try and look him up on sunday and tell him he's got an admirer!