The ChatGPT Thread

Gemmill

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: Agreed. If you're going to write an article telling us that AI is going to kill us all in a hurry, to the extent that you're not even sure we'll be here for your kid to lose her next tooth, it's sort of incumbent upon you to explain the mechanism by which this will happen.

He sounds fucking insane tbh. And he's sent his wife loopy too.

Can you not just ask ChatGPT how it will happen? 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

One advantage of being old is that I don't have to die young like most of the rest of you lot :smile:

:lol:

Hold on, this shouldn't be allowed to pass. The rest of this board are young? Listen Bilbo, this board is getting on for 20 years old now and most the posters on here were in their late 20s or early 30s when they starterd posting. We've had no new blood because we're too perpetual or something. Even the kids on here are approacing middle age now. It's true some of us are a bit further along the bell curve than others, but if a meteor strikes today nobody on here is dying young. :whistle:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hold on, this shouldn't be allowed to pass. The rest of this board are young? Listen Bilbo, this board is getting on for 20 years old now and most the posters on here were in their late 20s or early 30s when they starterd posting. We've had no new blood because we're too perpetual or something. Even the kids on here are approacing middle age now. It's true some of us are a bit further along the bell curve than others, but if a meteor strikes today nobody on here is dying young. :whistle:

I remember when this place was all gifs of fields. 
field.gif

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Renton said:

hobbit middle finger GIF

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

way too perpetual :lol:

i think thebrokendoll was our most recent recruit and he must be 50s, or 60s

• Haha 2

On 05/04/2023 at 08:53, Meenzer said:

The company I've worked for for the last 17 years was suddenly taken over in January by what I can only describe as Silicon Valley AI disruptor techbros, so I'm more concerned about my immediate future than some, but even I don't think we're going to have to get Matthew Broderick to teach ChatGPT tic-tac-toe in order to avert WW3 just yet.

Hope things work out with your job, Meenzer. Job insecurity is absolute bollocks.

• Like 2

On 05/04/2023 at 08:53, Meenzer said:

The company I've worked for for the last 17 years was suddenly taken over in January by what I can only describe as Silicon Valley AI disruptor techbros, so I'm more concerned about my immediate future than some, but even I don't think we're going to have to get Matthew Broderick to teach ChatGPT tic-tac-toe in order to avert WW3 just yet.

Only just seen this. I hope it works out for you, mate. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Hope things work out with your job, Meenzer. Job insecurity is absolute bollocks.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Only just seen this. I hope it works out for you, mate. 

Echo this, meenz.

• Like 1

Cheers fellas. They've promised no major changes "for the time being" (:lol:) and there might be opportunities for different roles within whatever it is they actually do (none of us is entirely sure yet), but I'm realistic enough to understand that my kind of work is absolutely the kind of thing decent AI is made for swallowing up - or at least the lower-hanging fruit is, anyway - so it's probably best not to be an ostrich about it. We'll see how it all shakes out.

It doesn't help that it's happening at the same time as my mam's Parkinsons is starting to give her proper grief, and we're being kicked out of our house by mid-June because of yet another landlord deciding to sell up, so we're also at the start of the process of saying "fuck this shit" and finally moving out of London and getting a place of our own like actual grown-ups. If it wasn't for the football I must say I'd be asking for a refund on 2023 so far. :lol: 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

What’s the crack at your place- are things still sketchy?

Best guess at present is I'll be on the Nat King Cole just before Christmas. Ho ho ho!! 🎅

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Best guess at present is I'll be on the Nat King Cole just before Christmas. Ho ho ho!! 🎅

Ffs. 

Is there nowt going anywhere else? 

( I was going to say jump before the drop, but of course, you’ll get redundancy if you stay). 

The Tories have absolutely, royally, fucked every person and everything that doesn’t bring them a direct, financial benefit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Ffs. 

Is there nowt going anywhere else? 

( I was going to say jump before the drop, but of course, you’ll get redundancy if you stay). 

The Tories have absolutely, royally, fucked every person and everything that doesn’t bring them a direct, financial benefit. 

Unless a very good job came up and was offered on a plate there's no chance I'm leaving till I get my bit plus retention payment. Got some decisions to make and it's hard to know which way to go because I don't know how long I'll be out of work before I take any old shit. I want this to be my final job where I work 12 hours and nights as they're a killer and statistically chip away at your life expectancy, I've done more than my fair share, some cunt else's turn. :good:

• Like 6

On 06/04/2023 at 20:36, Howmanheyman said:

Sorry to hear that, mate. Best of luck. It’s a shit state of affairs but sometimes it can be the catalyst for finding something better in the long run. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2023 at 20:11, Monkeys Fist said:

Is a move back to Newcastle feasible?

It was one of the options we considered, but (for various reasons) we're headed for the Peterborough neck of the woods instead. Aye, I know :lol: , but it's fine really. The centre is a concrete mess but it's got all the stuff you need and is really well-connected so you can get out of there easily. So basically it's the Lewisham of England. Should suit us perfectly. :D

9 hours ago, Meenzer said:

It was one of the options we considered, but (for various reasons) we're headed for the Peterborough neck of the woods instead. Aye, I know :lol: , but it's fine really. The centre is a concrete mess but it's got all the stuff you need and is really well-connected so you can get out of there easily. So basically it's the Lewisham of England. Should suit us perfectly. :D

As a special bonus, Sunderland played there a mere 2 years ago, so there’ll be plenty special marras of the lads for you to wind up.

• Haha 2