Eddie's Glorious Champions League-bound Mags vs De Zerbi's Stuttering South Coast Soft Shites

Gemmill

The other thing about missing out on top 4, were it to happen is: how much would it really change things? Even with the extra money and pulling power we’re unlikely to assemble a squad equipped to go deep in that tournament. A reasonable expectation is probably 3rd in the group stage, which I think means you fall into the uefa cup anyway, or maybe second then an early exit in the group stage?

It’s a massive financial bonus to finish top 4 and I would love it if we make it but it’s not the end of the world if we narrowly miss out. It will present new challenges for Howe: dramatically overhauling the squad so it’s fit for purpose in the CL could disrupt the team spirit. Less surgery required for a Uefa cup campaign so might actually make more sense at this stage of the project.

Adjusting the squad for uefa cup should be less disruptive and could increase our chances of top 4 next season. I completely accept that this season feels like a rare opportunity due to how Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have underperformed but let’s face it: this club is moving in one direction, will continue to invest whatever happens and falling at the final hurdle this season won’t stop the Saudi juggernaut. I can’t wait for next season already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

The other thing about missing out on top 4, were it to happen is: how much would it really change things? Even with the extra money and pulling power we’re unlikely to assemble a squad equipped to go deep in that tournament. A reasonable expectation is probably 3rd in the group stage, which I think means you fall into the uefa cup anyway, or maybe second then an early exit in the group stage?

It’s a massive financial bonus to finish top 4 and I would love it if we make it but it’s not the end of the world if we narrowly miss out. It will present new challenges for Howe: dramatically overhauling the squad so it’s fit for purpose in the CL could disrupt the team spirit. Less surgery required for a Uefa cup campaign so might actually make more sense at this stage of the project.

Adjusting the squad for uefa cup should be less disruptive and could increase our chances of top 4 next season. I completely accept that this season feels like a rare opportunity due to how Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have underperformed but let’s face it: this club is moving in one direction, will continue to invest whatever happens and falling at the final hurdle this season won’t stop the Saudi juggernaut. I can’t wait for next season already. 

I always thought the CL was shit too.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Europa League is the best league in Europe 👍🏻

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I land in toon around 4

Yeah yeah Rayvin...

🙄

Oh Gloomy it's you.

I'm very nervous about this, worried that we'll concede first and then push too hard to get the equaliser and concede again. I really hope we start with Wilson on the bench so he can come on to really change our attack, his good positioning is even better when he's full of energy v. a defense who have been tired out from chasing Isak around. But I can see Eddie sticking with the same team as last game.

Patience and controlled aggression with positional discipline are key and then of course converting our chances.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I’d rather we finished top 4 this season but it can wait. It’s coming, whether this season or the next one. I’m not impatient.

We’ve massively overachieved whatever happens - it was only about this time last year that we secured PL status. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

To not qualify at this stage with the fixtures we have left and the season we've had so far would be a massive disappointment. It would make a huge difference to the club in terms of finance and the standard of player we could attract. I'd have bitten your hand off for fifth back in August but as the situation has changed so have my hopes and expectations.

• Like 7

There's no escaping the fact that we've been gifted an opportunity this season. Chelsea and Spurs are miles off it, and Man Utd and Liverpool only turned up halfway through the season. Even if we strengthen in the Summer, it's going to be a tougher fight to break into the top 6

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

To not qualify at this stage with the fixtures we have left and the season we've had so far would be a massive disappointment. It would make a huge difference to the club in terms of finance and the standard of player we could attract. I'd have bitten your hand off for fifth back in August but as the situation has changed so have my hopes and expectations.

It would be disappointing given how close we are but we’d soon get over it. The season is a triumph whatever happens and a uefa cup campaign would still be a blast. 

It’s been an amuse-bouche of a season to wet the appetite for things to come. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There's no escaping the fact that we've been gifted an opportunity this season. Chelsea and Spurs are miles off it, and Man Utd and Liverpool only turned up halfway through the season. Even if we strengthen in the Summer, it's going to be a tougher fight to break into the top 6

Top 5 qualify next year, that evens things out a bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Think that's the biggest load of drivel I've read from you Gloomy. You're not convincing anyone with that nonsense, including yourself.

Also, to answer your (I assume rhetorical) question on how much it would really change things to get CL, the answer is MASSIVELY. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Now is NOT the time to be harbouring negative thoughts, Brother Gloom. 

giphy.webp

Private bratworst reporting for duty, sir!

I’m still firmly in team sausage and am optimistic about our chances of top 4. Just don’t think it’s a disaster if we miss out. Next season will be great whatever happens 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Private bratworst reporting for duty, sir!

I’m still firmly in team sausage and am optimistic about our chances of top 4. Just don’t think it’s a disaster if we miss out. Next season will be great whatever happens 

As you were, soldier. 
fred-dibnah-disapproves.gif

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Think that's the biggest load of drivel I've read from you Gloomy. You're not convincing anyone with that nonsense, including yourself.

Also, to answer your (I assume rhetorical) question on how much it would really change things to get CL, the answer is MASSIVELY. 

I don’t think missing out on top 4 changes our direction of travel, it just means we’re cruising to our destination at 70 instead of speeding at 100mph.

The destination is the same whatever happens: Newcastle and Man City battling for the title in a couple of years time 

18 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Top 5 qualify next year, that evens things out a bit

I would put us odds on for a top 5 finish next season. 

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d rather we finished top 4 this season but it can wait. It’s coming, whether this season or the next one. I’m not impatient.

We’ve massively overachieved whatever happens - it was only about this time last year that we secured PL status. 

This is classic expectation management. It's as blatant as a mackem saying they weren't ready for promotion.

Now, I tell you what I do shall I? I tell myself it's only football, it's only a game where overpaid athletes are paid to kick a bit of plastic around the pitch, a bit of fun in my spare time. There are much more important things in life, my job, my family, the future of the planet. 

And deep down, I know that's not true either. :lol:

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is classic expectation management. It's as blatant as a mackem saying they weren't ready for promotion.

Now, I tell you what I do shall I? I tell myself it's only football, it's only a game where overpaid athletes are paid to kick a bit of plastic around the pitch, a bit of fun in my spare time. There are much more important things in life, my job, my family, the future of the planet. 

And deep down, I know that's not true either. :lol:

:lol:

Think of it this way, if the club shop still sold season review videos, you’d be buying this one whatever happens. And the title would be: Flying high again, or return of the mags or something. And we’d watch it back remembering the magic of the full season when the club turned 180. Like that back to the top season review video under keegan.  It’s the one you cherish more in some ways because winning still felt new and a bit alien. We weren’t used to success yet 

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Scouser in the office already banging on. 'We will win all of our remaining games so will Man Utd'

FUCK OFF YOU GINGER CUNT

good job we only need to win two then

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Scouser in the office already banging on. 'We will win all of our remaining games so will Man Utd'

FUCK OFF YOU GINGER CUNT

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

good job we only need to win two then

Show him this. 
sausage.gif

• Haha 5