Eddie's RELENTLESSLY Pressing Champions League-bound Mags vs Dean Smith's Soft-Centre Championship-bound Foxes

Gemmill

On the relegation picture, Leeds look fucked. Have to get a better result than both Leicester and Everton to stay up.

Worth remembering that they weren't in the relegation zone when Allardyce turned up too. Three games worth of Big Sam Ball, they've been overtaken by Everton and Forest, picked up one point, and look near enough down with a game to go.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I can see more teams setting up against us at sjp like that next season. It’s been our biggest struggle this season really: struggling to break down sides that sit back with 11 behind the ball. Underscores the need to try to recruit a new creative midfielder in the summer. 

Or someone who can score 40 yard worldies.

35 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

They were very weird tactics given their predicament. You could forgive them trying to stay in it for 60 minutes then having a go in the last 20-30. But to defend like that all game and only venture forward with five minutes to go was strange. 

To be fair to Leicester though they executed their weird game plan very well. Reminded me of us away from home under Rafa. They all grafted, stayed in shape throughout and restricted us to few chances. We made a ridiculous number of sideways passes out wide because it was so congested in the middle. 

I can see more teams setting up against us at sjp like that next season. It’s been our biggest struggle this season really: struggling to break down sides that sit back with 11 behind the ball. Underscores the need to try to recruit a new creative midfielder in the summer. 

We had our chances though. Bruno missed a header that was easier to score. We hit the woodwork 2 other times. Trippier had a couple of chances when he could have tested the keeper and chose to cross instead.

The longer the game went on the more both sides knew they were happy to settle for a point. We were Man City esque in our domination last night. Long may it continue! 

• Like 3

Even yesterday we did break them down enough to hit the woodwork three times was it? And get 4 shots on target (which the ones hitting the woodwork won’t have counted as). That’s with Willock and Big Joe missing against as negative a display as you’ll see. I do agree we’ve struggled a little bit with sides that have come for a point but we did more than enough to win the game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We had our chances though. Bruno missed a header that was easier to score. We hit the woodwork 2 other times. Trippier had a couple of chances when he could have tested the keeper and chose to cross instead.

The longer the game went on the more both sides knew they were happy to settle for a point. We were Man City esque in our domination last night. Long may it continue! 

i noticed that. trippier doesn't seem to fancy taking on a shot from open play, which is weird really as he's got a great shot on him 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i noticed that. trippier doesn't seem to fancy taking on a shot from open play, which is weird really as he's got a great shot on him 

Good players play the percentages and he doesn’t score many from open play. But aye, have a pop sometimes, especially in a match situation like that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

They were very weird tactics given their predicament. You could forgive them trying to stay in it for 60 minutes then having a go in the last 20-30. But to defend like that all game and only venture forward with five minutes to go was strange. 

To be fair to Leicester though they executed their weird game plan very well. Reminded me of us away from home under Rafa. They all grafted, stayed in shape throughout and restricted us to few chances. We made a ridiculous number of sideways passes out wide because it was so congested in the middle. 

This.

We've lost less games than everyone but City (by one game) and conceded only one more goal than them, the 13 draws and our inability to break down the massed defences has been our only real issue this season. Of that thirteen I can only really recall Brighton, the Arse, Man U away and Wolves away where we weren't pretty much dominant but wasteful in front of goal, convert half those draws into wins and that'd be another 12-ish points.

Again last night we squandered some great chances, we need to be way more clinical.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’ll be the biggest comedown of all time when the final whistle goals on Sunday. I’ve been buzzing all season. What are we going to do all summer? 

Argue about transfer rumours?

Get excited about a player, pore over their performance metrics and imagine how they'll fit in Eddie's team, watch compilations with insufferable music over the top, see him sign for someone else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Well, I’ll have a good read of this thread when I’m fully awake but fuck me, that game summed up why Team pampers has been right all along. So nearly typical fucking Newcastle throwing away something special but for Nick Pope.

At last I can muster a genuine fucking sausage.

Atmosphere was tremendous all game and the after match celebrations were wonderful. Loved Eddies and Grahams Klopesque fist pumps to the Leazes. Grandson also got Miggys autograph so that was very special.

First time in years I’ve been in the main East Stand and it’s a bit odd. Not sure what’s going on in the bogs :lol: I gave it a go, but no luck.

IMG_3775.thumb.jpeg.d4d10e8ee70890833a02f3c36227bb62.jpeg

First time I think I’ve been under the surfer flag as well :) 

Anyway, thank fuck we’ve done it, we can now enjoy the summer, all the crazy transfer speculation and the big money sponsorship deals. Bring it all on.

:nufc:

Still think we should replace Pope?

The thing about Pope is that his kicking is still really poor under pressure, and not great even when he isn't. The ideal of course is to have someone with his indisputably elite level shot stopping along with elite distribution, but those kind of keepers are few and far between and cost upwards of 30m. I'd rather we spent that 30m+ elsewhere this window, but I don't think Pope will be our number one keeper in the long term. I think Howe will eventually want a keeper who's as comfortable or at least almost as comfortable on the ball as one of our centre halfs.