I.T. Help

Christmas Tree

I've tried google :lol: 

Have a new HP Pavillion laptop that normally gets about 200 - 300 mbs from my 1 gig wifi. I wanted to see if it could be better and more stable to bought a Cat 7 cable and a USB 3 to rj45 adaptor. Now Im lucky if I get about 100 mbs. Before I send it back, is there anything else that could be making the ethernet so much poorer than the wifi?

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Have a new HP Pavillion laptop that normally gets about 200 - 300 mbs from my 1 gig wifi. I wanted to see if it could be better and more stable to bought a Cat 7 cable and a USB 3 to rj45 adaptor. Now Im lucky if I get about 100 mbs. Before I send it back, is there anything else that could be making the ethernet so much poorer than the wifi?

Fuck me, the humble stealth  brag. Look at me. "200 to 300" mbs not good enough. It's 5 times what I get and that's plenty. And who the fuck uses wired internet nowadays?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fuck me, the humble stealth  brag. Look at me. "200 to 300" mbs not good enough. It's 5 times what I get and that's plenty. And who the fuck uses wired internet nowadays?

:lol: Some people have WiFi, some have stained glass windows.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Are you using home plugs that run through your home electrical wiring? They will likely be capped.

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Cat 7 cable from router to laptop (distance 1 metre).

Hang on, let me get this straight, the cableless connection was delivering 200-300Mbps, then you switch to Ethernet for.... reasons, and it's significantly slower. I mean, a Cat 7 ethernet cable should be capable of delivering  10Gbps, but frankly I don't know why you'd need that kind of speed for your home usage. 

The question surely has to be; Why don't you just rely on the faster wifi?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Hang on, let me get this straight, the cableless connection was delivering 200-300Mbps, then you switch to Ethernet for.... reasons, and it's significantly slower. I mean, a Cat 7 ethernet cable should be capable of delivering  10Gbps, but frankly I don't know why you'd need that kind of speed for your home usage. 

The question surely has to be; Why don't you just rely on the faster wifi?

:lol: Listen, you can all just admit you have no idea :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: Listen, you can all just admit you have no idea :lol: 

Ok, I'll put you out of your misery.....

Get a coat hanger, climb onto your roof when there's a chance of lightning. With one hand hold the ethernet cable, with the other end in your router, and with the other hand hold the coat hanger towards the wrath of Zeus Thunderer whilst chanting "Zeus the all powerful, like Kylie, let me be shocked by the power, shocked by the power of love!"

Then let us know how you get on? :good:

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Ok, I'll put you out of your misery.....

Get a coat hanger, climb onto your roof when there's a chance of lightning. With one hand hold the ethernet cable, with the other end in your router, and with the other hand hold the coat hanger towards the wrath of Zeus Thunderer whilst chanting "Zeus the all powerful, like Kylie, let me be shocked by the power, shocked by the power of love!"

Then let us know how you get on? :good:

Back to the future. Going straight to idols :lol: 

Wired connection should be about 30% faster than WiFi (to answer Renton's question, you use a wired connection if you want to download anything of considerable size!) so something is clearly off here. If you go back to WiFi does it revert to the speeds you had previously?

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Wired connection should be about 30% faster than WiFi (to answer Renton's question, you use a wired connection if you want to download anything of considerable size!) so something is clearly off here. If you go back to WiFi does it revert to the speeds you had previously?

Wifi is fine. I just thought having 1 gig to play with I would get better wired. I ran some Cat 7 through the house last week to the bairns Xbox and it’s like shit off a stick.

Basically, I thought a wired fast connection would be better for trading on the exchanges.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Wifi is fine. I just thought having 1 gig to play with I would get better wired. I ran some Cat 7 through the house last week to the bairns Xbox and it’s like shit off a stick.

Basically, I thought a wired fast connection would be better for trading on the exchanges.

Well it should be - so something is off there. Did you try any other cables?

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So what’s the difference with your computer? The RJ45 adapter.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ffs man Rayvin, we NEVER actually answer one of CT’s “can’t be arsed to google “ questions. 
Many years of of this have shown it’s like giving crack to an addict. 

General chat will be full of 

“ Hi Guys, Mrs. Bought Three Ply, But It Hurts My Bum-Bum, Anyone Know of a Solution? “ 

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yup..get a better USB adaptor CT.  Most of the cheap ones on Amazon actually even say 10 / 100Mbps in the title.

That or just live with WiFi. 200-300 is plenty. If you're suffering loads of dropouts in video calls and stuff like that it's likely frequency band congestion. You should be able to check what band you and your neighbours are all using for their WiFi with a mobile app, and if your lucky your ISP will let you change which band yours is on in the admin panel so you can choose the least congested one in the immediate vacinity of your house.

17 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Well it should be - so something is off there. Did you try any other cables?

No, the cable I ran through the house I made myself. I couldn't be arsed to make a short one so just ordered a really decent one to do the job. I suppose Im going to have to make my own and try that. 👍

17 hours ago, ewerk said:

Yes, I just didnt know if there were any laptop settings I might need to change even though its meant to be plug and play. According to thousand odd reviews it normally works fine,

16 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Having to be within 1 metre of your router sounds like a decision that was made with comfort in mind.

Just so happens that the coffee table next to where I sit is bang middle of the house so ideal router spot :lol: