Comparison

The Fish

17 hours ago, The Fish said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, Pep Guardiola is clearly an excellent manager and the challenges he faces are as disparate as they are difficult. However, they've done worse this season by key metrics;

image.png.0e8e8e9b2453dc27d211813ebe4ebd3e.png

Creating and scoring fewer, conceding and allowing more chances. Fewer points too.

It’s slightly misleading making those sort of direct comparisons I think. He’s in a unique position in being allowed to do this, but I suppose he’s earned it too.  But I think the first half of this season was him experimenting to allow the team to optimise how they play to Haaland’s strengths. I think that’s mainly with winning the CL in mind (although it obviously meant they stormed the PL in the end too). How that relates to how deserving he is of winning manager of the year is another matter but it’s why the straight last season’s v this season’s metrics don’t necessarily compare well imo 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s slightly misleading making those sort of direct comparisons I think. He’s in a unique position in being allowed to do this, but I suppose he’s earned it too.  But I think the first half of this season was him experimenting to allow the team to optimise how they play to Haaland’s strengths. I think that’s mainly with winning the CL in mind (although it obviously meant they stormed the PL in the end too). How that relates to how deserving he is of winning manager of the year is another matter but it’s why the straight last season’s v this season’s metrics don’t necessarily compare well imo 

Isn't it his job to assimilate the monster? I think it is fair to look at the performances of last year vs this. Probably more fair to compare two seasons of a manager who's had largely the same side, than it is to compare the team performances of manager who came in part way through this season vs that team's performance in 21/22?

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Isn't it his job to assimilate the monster? I think it is fair to look at the performances of last year vs this. Probably more fair to compare two seasons of a manager who's had largely the same side, than it is to compare the team performances of manager who came in part way through this season vs that team's performance in 21/22?

If they win the treble it would be a more notable achievement and a better demonstration of a successful assimilation of a player than if they didn’t do that but beat last years ‘key metrics’ though ;) 

I know they’re two games away from that but it’s ultimately how he’ll be judged. I get what you’re saying about the league and specifically in reference to the manager of the year award 👍🏻

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

If they win the treble it would be a more notable achievement and a better demonstration of a successful assimilation of a player than if they didn’t do that but beat last years ‘key metrics’ though ;) 

I know they’re two games away from that but it’s ultimately how he’ll be judged. I get what you’re saying about the league and specifically in reference to the manager of the year award 👍🏻

If I'm honest I think the way Man City have climbed to the top of the mountain blunts my enthusiasm for their achievements. There's an air of inevitability about it. Could be why Howe's achievements haven't been recognised as well, because of the ownership, there's an air of inevitability of our ascent. 

Yes, objectively, winning the treble is a phenomenal achievement, but it's diminished by just how far ahead they are of everyone else. Nonetheless regardless of their strength, they've clawed Arsenal back, they've beaten everyone in their path to domestic and continental cup glory, so far. 

Trouble is, this is the Premier League Manager of the Year. Cup competitions shouldn't really factor into it. It should really just be the manager who contextually performed best in the league, right?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If I'm honest I think the way Man City have climbed to the top of the mountain blunts my enthusiasm for their achievements. There's an air of inevitability about it. Could be why Howe's achievements haven't been recognised as well, because of the ownership, there's an air of inevitability of our ascent. 

Yes, objectively, winning the treble is a phenomenal achievement, but it's diminished by just how far ahead they are of everyone else. Nonetheless regardless of their strength, they've clawed Arsenal back, they've beaten everyone in their path to domestic and continental cup glory, so far. 

Trouble is, this is the Premier League Manager of the Year. Cup competitions shouldn't really factor into it. It should really just be the manager who contextually performed best in the league, right?

Yep. On that basis it shouldn’t be Pep but the league winner nearly always gets it. Especially in a season when loads have worked wonders with their resources there are seemingly lots of better candidates. There’s probably a better argument for Arteta (as well as others previously mentioned). 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Little miss sunshine now married with two kids, gets embarrassed when this photo gets shown, swears to hubby the king was 'a great laugh' and nothing happened. Hubby secretly doesn't believe her. If Pardew sees this picture again he'll check if he still has her number and tries to remember which hotel they went to afterwards. 

• Haha 3