The John Barnes Rap's Back!

catmag

Barnes to rap on new World Cup song

Former footballer John Barnes is coming out of rap retirement for a new World Cup song.

The ex-England star famously appeared on New Order's World In Motion in 1990.

Now he is set to revive his formidable rapping skills on the People's Anthem, the brainchild of Virgin Radio breakfast DJ Christian O'Connell.

O'Connell is asking listeners to write their own song for this summer's World Cup.

Barnes, 42, said: "If you write a rap like Kanye West or Busta Rhymes, something which gives me a bit more street cred, a bit of a gangsta rap, then I will gladly do it. As long as it has a bit of soul and rhythm to it then I'll do it.

He joked: "I'm not sure what the video will be like - I was a bit slimmer back in 1990.

The People's Anthem will be a rival to the Football Association's official tune.

O'Connell said: "Now that we have Barnsey on board, whatever tune they come up with has no chance. Unlike other football songs this will be a single made by the fans, for the fans.

Proceeds from sales of the single will go to the Teenage Cancer Trust.

World In Motion was not the only football song to features Barnes in full flow. He also appeared on the Anfield Rap in 1988 when he was a player for Liverpool.

Luckily he's better at rapping than TV presenting. :icon_lol:

The only person to come out of the Anfield Rap carry on with a shred of credibiliity.

Shame he's used that cred up a thousandfold on channel 5!

102493[/snapback]

He should be allowed to 'freestyle' on Channel 5 I reckon. Then I wouldnt watch him even more than I dont now.

The only person to come out of the Anfield Rap carry on with a shred of credibiliity.

Shame he's used that cred up a thousandfold on channel 5!

102493[/snapback]

He should be allowed to 'freestyle' on Channel 5 I reckon. Then I wouldnt watch him even more than I dont now.

102801[/snapback]

He does a canny impression of a rabbit caught in the headlights on his footie show.