Emre's Parker praise

Scottish Mag

Turkish star Emre has revealed he is looking forward to dropping back into his usual midfield role with his stint in attack almost over.

United skipper Alan Shearer is close to returning following his calf injury, meaning Emre looks likely to be restored to his original playmaker role against Bolton.

Emre withdrew himself from the Turkey squad this week with his country taking on the Czech Republic tonight.

The Turk opted to stay on Tyneside to prepare for the Bolton clash because of an impending six-game international ban that prevents him playing in competitive internationals, meaning the friendly game would have been pretty meaningless for the Toon favourite.

The former Inter Milan ace has been playing in a more advanced role in the last two games and supported Shola Ameobi against Charlton and Everton.

Ironically United were indebted to Emre's contributions at the other end of the field against the Toffees with the diminutive midfielder twice clearing the ball from on the line with the score locked at 0-0 before Nobby Solano's glorious double.

Emre's partnership with Scott Parker has undoubtedly been one of the highlights of United's season with the pair forging a great understanding in the middle and tomorrow's home clash with Bolton should see the duo re-united if Shearer returns.

And Emre is relishing the prospect of playing alongside the former Charlton and Chelsea man.

He said today: "I am looking forward to playing more games alongside Scott Parker and I want to build up an understanding like the one we had in previous games.

"When I come here I said I wanted to play every game but I had the hamstring problem.

"Now, though, we have everybody fit apart from Steven Taylor. We have Scott back fit and playing well which is good for the midfield.

"We know when everybody is fit that we have a good team."

If United can make it five wins from six for caretaker boss Glenn Roeder they would trail sixth-placed Bolton by just six points.

And considering sides like the Trotters, Blackburn and Wigan have all, according to some pundits, had a great season so far, it would put a different complexion on United's campaign.

Emre added: "I feel we can put another run together. If you can win three games in a row in the Premiership, nine points can take you near the top six in this division.

"We have to still aim high, we know we have not started the season well but there is no reason why we cannot finish the season very well.

"The last 10 games we have to make a go of it, for the squad, the manager and of course the supporters."

Emre's move to Tyneside in the summer was largely due to the Turk's relationship with departed boss Graeme Souness, who worked with the little midfield schemer during his days with Galatasaray.

Just weeks since Souness was sacked, Emre was linked with a move back to Italy with AC Milan said to be weighing up an offer for the player who last season represented city rivals Inter at the San Siro.

Emre, though, has shrugged off the speculation and says he is committed to the United cause regardless of who is in charge.

He added: "It has not been too difficult for me because when I came here, I came here to sign for Newcastle United not for Graeme Souness or Glenn Roeder or any other manager, just Newcastle.

"Graeme is a great person and a great manager but he never got the chance to see all of his players on the field.

"For me Graeme was good but it isn't important who is the manager, only that the team performs well.

"We have to get on with it now, Graeme has gone now.

"It was tough for him but that is football."

"Now, though, we have everybody fit apart from Steven Taylor. We have Scott back fit and playing well which is good for the midfield."

Have the players already written off Owen then? Dyer, Carr, Bramble and Moore may not quite agree either...

"Now, though, we have everybody fit apart from Steven Taylor. We have Scott back fit and playing well which is good for the midfield."

Have the players already written off Owen then? Dyer, Carr, Bramble and Moore may not quite agree either...

102988[/snapback]

I think he means that they are all back in training, on the road to recovery, not sure about Carr though?