Shearer's replacement

janu

"I'm not aware of another Alan Shearer-type player in world football. He's going to have to be replaced - how and with who, I don't know," – Glenn Roeder

What to do?

Who would you go for? British? Foreign? Big? Small? Strong? Fast?

Personally I think Dean Ashton would be perfect alongside Owen in attack. Young. Hungry. Strong. Great potential. Could be the next Alan Shearer imo.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need someone to cover for Owen too, coz he will never be a 38 games a season player.

Kuyt would be ncie, we'd have to fork out quite a bit if we wanted Ashton now that he's just gone to the Hammers.

Dave Kitson. Big and strong, good in the air, scores goals. Only problem is he gets alot of injuries (no serious ones though). Better than Ashton.

Dirk Kuyt. Although I haven't seen him play he seems to have quite a reputation.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. No chance of getting him though.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar, scored shit loads for Heerenveen, scoring for fun for Ajax this season, a true goalmachine !

We have a big problem coming up soon. When Shearer retires we are left with one striker who is good enough in Owen!

Shola isn't the answer, and neither is Chopra, other than that you are relying on players like Luque (likely to be leaving close season and still to prove anything in the prem) or Dyer (invariably injured and hasn't played up front enough to say for sure he can do it over a season)

So the new manager could really need to sign 3 strikers, but i can't see that happening.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar, scored shit loads for Heerenveen, scoring for fun for Ajax this season, a true goalmachine !

103310[/snapback]

Huntelaar is definitely a good striker, so his goal-to-games-ratio tells. But I haven't seen enough of him in action to make a proper judgement yet. He has done a great job in the Dutch league, but the Eredivisie is a very different league to the Premiership. Not sure if he could make it here.

I agree that the best solution could be to buy a pair of less expensive strikers (2 x Huntelaar) instead of blowing it all on one big gun (1 x Ashton).

Dave Kitson. Big and strong, good in the air, scores goals. Only problem is he gets alot of injuries (no serious ones though). Better than Ashton.

Dirk Kuyt. Although I haven't seen him play he seems to have quite a reputation.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic. No chance of getting him though.

103309[/snapback]

What a load of rose tinted Reading glasses bollocks.

I hope the next manager that comes in, brings with him some decent scouts as i feel they will be badly needed. With the number of positions we will need to fill i fear we will not be able to play the EPLs over inflated prices on many of the players.

Not a replacement for Shearer but i think Jason Roberts would be a good buy, young, strong, quick, chep, a decent partner for owen

103357[/snapback]

He's not young - he's 28! And I doubt he'd be as good at a different club tbh.

Not a replacement for Shearer but i think Jason Roberts would be a good buy, young, strong, quick, chep, a decent partner for owen

103357[/snapback]

He's not young - he's 28! And I doubt he'd be as good at a different club tbh.

103361[/snapback]

I thought he was about 24.

How do you work that one out? :clapping:

"I'm not aware of another Alan Shearer-type player in world football. He's going to have to be replaced - how and with who, I don't know," – Glenn Roeder

What to do?

Personally I think Dean Ashton would be perfect alongside Owen in attack. Young. Hungry. Strong. Great potential. Could be the next Alan Shearer imo.

Your thoughts?

103304[/snapback]

Shearers replacement is already at the club, he cost 16m quid from Real Madrid

What to do?

Your thoughts?

103304[/snapback]

Shearers replacement is already at the club, he cost 16m quid from Real Madrid

103365[/snapback]

Aye. True enough.

Cant see how you could have Bellamy and Owen alongside each other - too similar players. Theyd be chasing the same balls and they'd be done in the air each time.

Ade Akinbiyi is scoring some amazing goals at the moment :clapping: