BLACK CATS SACK McCARTHY

khay

underland have sacked manager Mick McCarthy after three years in charge.

The Black Cats, bottom of the Premiership table, announced that the move was "in the best interests of both parties for him to leave immediately.

Sunderland will appoint a caretaker manager for the remaining 10 matches of this season, and announce McCarthy's permanent successor in the summer.

Chairman Bob Murray said: "I would like to thank Mick McCarthy for his efforts for the club whilst at Sunderland."

Murray added: "We wish him and his family the best for the future."

Murray said as chairman he took "responsibility for what has proven to be an unsuccessful and heartbreaking season, despite the best intentions, efforts and expectations of every one at the club."

He went on: "I feel deeply sorry that the excitement, optimism and aspirations of all Sunderland fans looking forward to a return to the Premier League have been rewarded in this way and I apologise for this.

"It is especially tough on supporters who have turned out in numbers week in, week out; despite seeing so little to raise their spirits.

"It is hard to see such loyalty unrewarded and I am sorry that performances and results have not mirrored the tremendous level of support that the club has been given.

"The club did not return to the Premiership just to make up the numbers and whilst we fully expected it to be a tough first season back, none of us expected to be in the position we are today.

"Looking ahead we will be taking our time to appoint a successor for what will be another very important season for the club in 2006."

O'Neill to take over. :clapping:

I feel sorry for McCarthy - he was completely sold down the river by Murray in terms of lack of transfer funds etc. Murray talks a load of crap about not being in the Premiership to make up the numbers as well, that's EXACTLY what they're there for, and EXACTLY what he planned for.

Who would want that job?

I feel sorry for him too. He must be frustrated as hell at having to work under the chairmanship of a twat like Murray. Good luck to him (but not necessarily to Sunderland :clapping:)

From .com:

Mick put out

of his misery

Our wearyside brethren dispensed with the services of Mick McCarthy on Monday morning after three miserable years in charge. 

Glenn Roeder's Premiership record for Newcastle 2005/06:

P 5: W 4, D 1, L 0, Points = 13

Mick McCarthy's Premiership record for the mackems 2005/06:

P 28: W 2, D 4, L 22, Points = 10

We may laugh like, but Martin O'Neil is a confirmed mackem, admitted several times that he supported the mackems when he was a kid.

103535[/snapback]

True enough, but seriously though, he would have to be mad to take that job. He'd be buying and selling in the bargain basement and competing in the Championship or trying to survive in the Premiership on a shoestring. That surely can't be how he sees his next job.

We may laugh like, but Martin O'Neil is a confirmed mackem, admitted several times that he supported the mackems when he was a kid.

103535[/snapback]

I was stood washing the dishes before and I was thinking exactly that. It's amazing what a bit of housework can do to the brain..... :clapping:

103535[/snapback]

I was stood washing the dishes before and I was thinking exactly that. It's amazing what a bit of housework can do to the brain..... :clapping:

103540[/snapback]

Are you studying for an exam soon? I've got plenty washing and ironing needs doing...owt to help.

103535[/snapback]

I was stood washing the dishes before and I was thinking exactly that. It's amazing what a bit of housework can do to the brain..... :nufc:

103540[/snapback]

Are you studying for an exam soon? I've got plenty washing and ironing needs doing...owt to help.

103543[/snapback]

:clapping:

I know this is hard to believe, but no actually. I'm on a weeks holiday from work and thought I'd get the house in order today. Consequently I'm sat at the computer... :)

Thanks for the offer of extra work, but no-one could afford to pay me to do their housework as well as my own. :blush:

103535[/snapback]

Have you got a decent source for that? The only place I've heard it said is on message boards, mainly mackem ones. It doesn't make sense to me why he'd support them, even as a kid. They've never been a glamour club and he's from Norn Iron, so where's the connection? Did he play for them even? As for the alleged tattoo - does he look like they type who'd have a tattoo?

Personally, I think this is another monumental balls uo by Murray, proving we have the bestest chairman ever. :clapping:

OK, so his performance this year was nothing short of a joke, but he has proven he is a decent championship manager, which is exactly what they need now. In reality, who's going to want that job now?

I've got a pound-a-point bet on with a mackem at work - for every point we finish above them, he owes me a quid and vice versa. I'm currently £29 up, but if they get a new-manager effect going, this could eat into my profits. Most annoying.

I've got a pound-a-point bet on with a mackem at work - for every point we finish above them, he owes me a quid and vice versa.  I'm currently £29 up, but if they get a new-manager effect going, this could eat into my profits.  Most annoying.

103553[/snapback]

I thinky you're pretty safe tbh. They really are shite, and unlike us, that's down to their players as much as their manager.

Anyway, as those bastids on the SMB put it after Souness's dismissal; 'Come in Agent McCarthy, your work is done.'  :clapping:

103555[/snapback]

I'll never forgive agent McCarthy for fucking up so badly last year.