Bullish Roeder

Gemmill

"At West Ham United, in my first year we got 53 points, came seventh in the Premiership, the third highest in their history. The following year we went down with 42 points. Bolton were the team that benefited - they stayed up with 44. But if you put the points together from my two years in charge of West Ham, I finished above Steve McClaren, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, who are the three big coaching hopes of English football. That's fact."

Goooooaaarn Glenn! :clapping:

Also sounds like he's warming to the task here:

"Coming back here has reminded me how good it is working with top-class Premiership players"

Nicked from here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Repor...1724438,00.html

If it broke, don't fix it. If Roeder was to go on a hell of a run for the rest of the season you have to see him as a candidate in the summer. Supermac reckoned that Roeder only needs to complete one more day to finish his Coaching Licence. Interesting.

If it broke, don't fix it. If Roeder was to go on a hell of a run for the rest of the season you have to see him as a candidate in the summer. Supermac reckoned that Roeder only needs to complete one more day to finish his Coaching Licence. Interesting.

103536[/snapback]

What's he doing tomorrow? Nothing? Get him booked in!! :clapping:

103536[/snapback]

What's he doing tomorrow? Nothing? Get him booked in!! :nufc:

103538[/snapback]

That smiley makes me laugh every time I see it. :clapping:

I would probably take Roeder over everyone other than O'Neill or a top European coach. I'd prefer him to any of Shepherd's famed shortlist.

I agree that Roeder has done a great job since he's come in and think that the bloke shold be given a seriously long term academy contract...

But Souness did go unbeaten in his first 9 games when he arrived... I just think a change has done the players well.

It is a nice breath of fresh air at the club now... every since the real "cancer" at this club has gone...

I agree that Roeder has done a great job since he's come in and think that the bloke shold be given a seriously long term academy contract...

But Souness did go unbeaten in his first 9 games when he arrived... I just think a change has done the players well.

It is a nice breath of fresh air at the club now... every since the real "cancer" at this club has gone...

103542[/snapback]

I agree with you about him being a breath of fresh air. I think he's actually really enjoying the job and always seems open and honest. There's never any whingeing or excuses and he's actually got the bottle to say where he thinks the problems are (or were when Souness was in charge) It is refreshing and I do think that despite his protestations, he would take the job if offered it.

103542[/snapback]

Agreed, we should have got rid of Aaron Hughes years ago.

103542[/snapback]

Agreed, we should have got rid of Aaron Hughes years ago.

103545[/snapback]

Aye, that cocky bastard should have never been to wear a black and white shirt tbh.

103536[/snapback]

What's he doing tomorrow? Nothing? Get him booked in!! :)

103538[/snapback]

I would probably take Roeder over everyone other than O'Neill or a top European coach. I'd prefer him to any of Shepherd's famed shortlist.

103541[/snapback]

:nufc: Someone (WubbleUC?) posted in Thompson's thread about lost strings, something to the effect of "Where's me strings :blush:". Now every time I mention 'me strings' to anyone I get an image of that smiley in my head and start pissing myself laughing, which makes me look a little odd...

103536[/snapback]

What's he doing tomorrow? Nothing? Get him booked in!! :)

103538[/snapback]

103541[/snapback]

:nufc: Someone (WubbleUC?) posted in Thompson's thread about lost strings, something to the effect of "Where's me strings :blush:". Now every time I mention 'me strings' to anyone I get an image of that smiley in my head and start pissing myself laughing, which makes me look a little odd...

103552[/snapback]

Please change you ava...

The sight of that man makes me wanna............. :blush:

Please change you ava...

The sight of that man makes me wanna.............  :nufc:

103561[/snapback]

Sima feels the same about yours tbh. :clapping:

Glenn Roeder - I'm happy to have someone of his quality looking after the academy, but at some point I suppose we would have to take him seriously as a permanent choice. If he pulled off the miracle of Champion's League qualification (10 points!) then we'd have to keep him on, and UEFA cup via the league then probably, not sure if winning the FA cup would be enough.

Edited by DotBum

Glen Roeder has undoubtedly done a good job and whilst I would prefer him to many of the people being touted for the job it is hard to know how much influence Shearer is also having and whether Roeder would be able to continue to acheive the same results while Shearer is having his year off. Also, I am not sure if Roeder could build a team to bring us back to the very top and challenge for the Champions League.

I was a bit concerned about some of his comments yesterday about Shearer being ready to take over in Summer 2007 and worry that the prospect of Shearer hovering in the background could have an unsettling effect on any new manager and possibly even put people off taking the job.

I would probably take Roeder over everyone other than O'Neill or a top European coach.  I'd prefer him to any of Shepherd's famed shortlist.

103541[/snapback]

World exclusive: Renton in agreement with Gemmill shocker.

Roeder does seem to have that"something" which has been missing in a few of our past managers, the ability to get the best out of his players, and although Martin Oniell is probably the same sort of manager in that respect i would be quite happy for Roeder to take over on a permanent basis, the players seem to love playing for him, ffs even Boumsong has improved under him, hes got his dfenders talking to each other, lets just hope fat fred dont get the wrong person for the job, it would be a bloody travesty!!!

We'll be in a better position to judge Roeder after the next 3 games tbh. It's natural to get a bit carried away, but we should remember he's only been in charge 6 games, the traditional honeymoon period. Massively impressed with him in this time period however.

The following year we went down with 42 points. Bolton were the team that benefited - they stayed up with 44. But if you put the points together from my two years in charge of West Ham, I finished above Steve McClaren, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, who are the three big coaching hopes of English football. That's fact."

Lets not forget that Trevor Brooking was in charge for 3 games and earned 7 of those points, 35 points from 35 games isn't impressive at all. I know he had health problems at West Ham but when their supporters seem to have a particular hatred of him then you have to ask why? As has already been said this is still the honeymoon period, he'd have to keep impressing until the end of the season to justify a chance at it full time.

Edited by ewerk

The following year we went down with 42 points. Bolton were the team that benefited - they stayed up with 44. But if you put the points together from my two years in charge of West Ham, I finished above Steve McClaren, Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley, who are the three big coaching hopes of English football. That's fact."

Lets not forget that Trevor Brooking was in charge for 3 games and earned 7 of those points, 35 points from 35 games isn't impressive at all. I know he had health problems at West Ham but when their supporters seem to have a particular hatred of his then you have to ask why? As has already been said this is still the honeymoon period, he'd have to keep impressing until the end of the season to justify a chance at it full time.

103614[/snapback]

Relegation would be a strong contender; I don't reckon fans' emotions are a particularly good way to reach conclusions.

Edited by DotBum

Relegation would be a strong contender; I don't reckon fans' emotions are a particularly good way to reach conclusions.

103615[/snapback]

Aye but you have to look at what he has achieved in the past and how he is remembered by those clubs, good managers aren't usually hated by the fans of their former club for footballing reasons. I just think it would be a huge risk to appoint him as manager though if we contine in this rich vein of form until the end of the season I could change my mind.

To be honest, unless we win the FA Cup and storm into 4th or something incredible like that, we don't want him. I think the turnaround has been great but we always had a decent side on paper and any half-decent managers would have improved things. I would agree with that he'd be preferable to some we've been linked though.

I think the turnaround has been great but we always had a decent side on paper and any half-decent managers would have improved things.

103619[/snapback]

Exactly, Souness has lowered our expectations so much that any improvement would be seen as a miracle.

103615[/snapback]

Aye but you have to look at what he has achieved in the past and how he is remembered by those clubs, good managers aren't usually hated by the fans of their former club for footballing reasons. I just think it would be a huge risk to appoint him as manager though if we contine in this rich vein of form until the end of the season I could change my mind.

103617[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you're saying, good point about Brooking taking 7 from 9 in the last 3 matches, I wasn't aware of that, but how many managers who have taken clubs down are well remembered?

Football's hugely emotional at the best of times, I agree with you that we should look at his record but I'd be cautious about what previous fans say, but I admit that if only Freddie had read a few of the comments on any Blackburn forum before hiring Souness we'd be in a much better state.

Roeder's also impressed me with what he's said recently, but after Souness every sensible comment sounds like fucking art and I've said above even if he won us the Cup I wouldn't be sure about keeping him on.

We'll be in a better position to judge Roeder after the next 3 games tbh. It's natural to get a bit carried away, but we should remember he's only been in charge 6 games, the traditional honeymoon period. Massively impressed with him in this time period however.

103604[/snapback]

I agree that it's the more difficult matches a manager should get judged by. You also have to take into account that we only played one game away from home under Roeder. Though, the difference to Souness's winning streak in his honeymoon period is that we weren't playing micky mouse teams recently (except Pompey).

The good thing Roeder definitely has done is giving the team a bit shape and structure and getting the confidence back by winning games comfortably and not just scraping results. There is still a handful of managers I do prefer to him, but he definitely is ahead of the names of Bruce etc. who are probably still in Fat Fred's mind.

103615[/snapback]

103617[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you're saying, good point about Brooking taking 7 from 9 in the last 3 matches, I wasn't aware of that, but how many managers who have taken clubs down are well remembered?

Football's hugely emotional at the best of times, I agree with you that we should look at his record but I'd be cautious about what previous fans say, but I admit that if only Freddie had read a few of the comments on any Blackburn forum before hiring Souness we'd be in a much better state.

Roeder's also impressed me with what he's said recently, but after Souness every sensible comment sounds like fucking art and I've said above even if he won us the Cup I wouldn't be sure about keeping him on.

103623[/snapback]

I think sounding out the fans of a manager's previous clubs is absolutely essential in selecting the manager - as you say Souness would never have been employed had Shepherd bothered to do this and in fact would never work again.

However, Roeder is in an unusual situation in that we are getting a try before you buy period. If he does well for the rest of the season then I'd prefer him over most the usual suspects.