Bullish Roeder

Gemmill

Another difference between now and the unbeaten runs under Souness is that we are playing some nice stuff and deservedly winning matches.

I think sounding out the fans of a manager's previous clubs is absolutely essential in selecting the manager - as you say Souness would never have been employed had Shepherd bothered to do this and in fact would never work again.

However, Roeder is in an unusual situation in that we are getting a try before you buy period. If he does well for the rest of the season then I'd prefer him over most the usual suspects.

103628[/snapback]

I suppose what I mean is that I don't appreciate the perceived opinion of the fans en masse, and that I would want to talk to a couple of Hammers fans who's opinions I trust, who are capable of looking past the emotions to give you the facts, let you know the good and the bad.

I'm not even sure why FS would have needed anyone's opinion, I felt sick when I heard about Souness' appointment, and I didn't even know that much about him.

Edited by DotBum

I think sounding out the fans of a manager's previous clubs is absolutely essential in selecting the manager - as you say Souness would never have been employed had Shepherd bothered to do this and in fact would never work again.

However, Roeder is in an unusual situation in that we are getting a try before you buy period. If he does well for the rest of the season then I'd prefer him over most the usual suspects.

103628[/snapback]

I suppose what I mean is that I don't appreciate the perceived opinion of the fans en masse, and that I would want to talk to a couple of Hammers fans who's opinions I trust, who are capable of looking past the emotions to give you the facts, let you know the good and the bad.

I'm not even sure why FS would have needed anyone's opinion, I felt sick when I heard about Souness' appointment, and I didn't even know that much about him.

103633[/snapback]

I think the fans tend to know best. Not just any old fan obviously but the more experienced articulate ones, for instance maybe the editors of fanzines. But in the case of a manager like Souness, there was a clear perception and consensus from the fans of several football clubs he was a poor manager. Seriously, hiring Souness was utter madness.

When selecting a manager, I think the chairman should use all means at his disposal to come to an informed choice. For instance, I was certain Gullit would fail, having read media interviews with him when he was at Chelsea which showed him to be an arsehole basically. This was backed up by the fact he lost his job at Stamford Bridge as a result of a players revolt. I knew that the same thing was likely to happen here. Of course, Shepherd either didn't bother doing the research or chose to ignore it.

Anyone else catch Martin Samuel's shitty comments on Jimmy Hill's Sunday Suplement on SKY yesterday ?

"It just goes to show how bad things must have been under Souness for a manager like Glenn Roeder been seen to work a miracle"

Nice with the wins but this is still short term stuff. Let's see how he handles a loss with the side- first was the loss a deserved one and the side put out an intelligent choice that was sadly outplayed, second, after such a loss does the side bounce back or slump about again in lower level mediocrity. I'm still not sure about Roeder, but happy with how it's going so far- certainly better than I expected.

If nothing else, Roeders made this job look a lot easier to take on that it was before GS was sacked. At least now Fred has the opportunity to wait until the end of the season, see what kind of a job Roeder does and takes time over the next appointment