Paula knackered

sweetleftpeg

Injured Radcliffe will miss Games

Paula Radcliffe has pulled out of next week's Commonwealth Games in Melbourne because of a foot injury.

The 32-year-old world marathon champion suffered the injury in January after stepping on a rock and has not been able to prepare fully for the Games.

"We feel it would be stupid to compete in Melbourne," said Radcliffe's manager and husband Gary Lough.

Radcliffe won the 5,000m Commonwealth title in Manchester and was favourite to win the 10,000m in Australia.

She has been training for the Commonwealth Games as well as the London Marathon at the high-altitude venue of Albuquerque in New Mexico.

Although she has been able to continue with her marathon preparations, Radcliffe had difficulties with her track sessions - affecting her Melbourne build-up.

"Paula hit a rock when out training and developed a bruised foot and it is taking a long time to settle down," Lough added.

"In particular it has been causing problems on the track, constantly flaring up and she cannot do proper flat-out training sessions."

However, Lough insists the marathon world record-holder will be well prepared to defend her London Marathon title on 23 April.

"The problem is not affecting her marathon preparations," he added.

Radcliffe missed the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Canada with a stress fracture while a virus forced her to pull out of the Kuala Lumpur Games in 1998.

Ann Hogbin, England's Chef de Mission at the Commonwealth Games, said: "Naturally we're very disappointed for Paula, particularly as it means she won't have the opportunity to defend the 5000m title she won in Manchester four years ago.

"We wish Paula all the best for a quick and speedy recovery."

I know we have a go at Rob for his conspiracy theories regarding Paula, but he's got plenty of ammo here. She's dropping out of representing her country to prepare for the money race. Not that I believe that, of course. :clapping:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beat me to it

Spring must be coming with the people's paula dropping out already

Maybe she heard that if she does a dump on the streets of Melbourne she has to pick it up with a Pooper_Scooper and carry it to the end of the race - bit like an egg and spoon race I guess..............

Not long before the Drug Fiend Tour arrives in the UK too..........

Do they drug test after the London Marathon then?

104001[/snapback]

Unnecessary. Rob roams the 26 mile length of the course afterwards, picking up excretia and running his own private tests.

104001[/snapback]

The Tour de France has a stage in the UK this year.

104001[/snapback]

104004[/snapback]

Aye, I kna that, I was just wondering whether she'd be drug tested after the London Marathon as Rob is so convinced her sample would rival Pete Doherty's.

104001[/snapback]

104004[/snapback]

Aye, I kna that, I was just wondering whether she'd be drug tested after the London Marathon as Rob is so convinced her sample would rival Pete Doherty's.

104009[/snapback]

I'd love for Paula Radcliffe to enter the Tour de France. Even if it was just for the London/South east stage.

104001[/snapback]

104004[/snapback]

104009[/snapback]

Aah, sorry. I would say they'll definitely test the winner of something like that. Probably the top 3 and a large sample of the elite field. At the Winter Olympics they tested something like a third of all competitors.

104001[/snapback]

104004[/snapback]

104009[/snapback]

lies all lies

I have never suggested that the lovely Miss Radcliffe is in any way connect ted with Mr Docherty - he is a convicted drug fiend after all whereas Miss R isn't

104001[/snapback]

104004[/snapback]

104009[/snapback]

lies all lies

I have never suggested that the lovely Miss Radcliffe is in any way connect ted with Mr Docherty - he is a convicted drug fiend after all whereas Miss R isn't

104043[/snapback]

:clapping: Buy you believe she's doing more than 20 mile runs a day to get where she has though?

beat me to it

Spring must be coming with the people's paula dropping out already

Maybe she heard that if she does a dump on  the streets of Melbourne she has to pick it up with a Pooper_Scooper and carry it to the end of the race - bit like an egg and spoon race I guess..............

Not long before the Drug Fiend Tour arrives in the UK too..........

103996[/snapback]

i heard it's because Thorpie has pulled out and she just wants to avoid the disappointment of not getting to see his big feet!

Hmmm - I spotted that  - he hasn't competed for years.................

I wonder why.............

104361[/snapback]

Bullshit, he's competed this year, last year and the year before that, etc.

104361[/snapback]

104376[/snapback]

Rob sold a truckload of weapons-grade plutonium to his mum last night, so he'd know tbh. :)

Incidentally the reason Paula Radcliffe won't be competing in the Commonwealth Games is because it's a week away so her injury won't have cleared up whereas it should be ok for the London Marathon which isn't until April. Cynics will be saying Micheal Owen is saving himself for the World Cup at this rate.

Funny how her "injuries" seem to stop her running for her country but not for her bank manager Alex............................

She's only attended 1 out 4 Commonwealth games

104361[/snapback]

104376[/snapback]

from the Beeb...............

Team-mates of Ian Thorpe fear for the swimmer's competitive future after he pulled out of the Commonwealth Games.

The Australian, who is suffering from bronchitis and a chest infection, has not raced at international level since winning his fifth Olympic gold in 2004.

104361[/snapback]

104376[/snapback]

from the Beeb...............

Team-mates of Ian Thorpe fear for the swimmer's competitive future after he pulled out of the Commonwealth Games.

The Australian, who is suffering from bronchitis and a chest infection, has not raced at international level since winning his fifth Olympic gold in 2004.

104388[/snapback]

The Olympics were less than two years ago, so it wasn't years was it? In any case he competed in the 2005 Telstra FINA World Cup last year winning the 100 metres freestyle and he competed in the Commonwealth Games trials earlier this year. If you think an athlete of Thorpe's stature wouldn't have been drug tested after these events I would suggest you don't know what your talking about but I think you've already made that abundantly clear.

Edited by alex

" 2005 Telstra FINA World Cup" :):D;)

whatever that is.............

I never said he wasn't tested and I never said he was found with any drugs - like many eminent athletes he has a totally clean sheet

" 2005 Telstra FINA World Cup" :)  :D  ;)

whatever that is.............

I never said he wasn't tested and I never said he was found with any drugs - like many eminent athletes he has a totally clean sheet

104431[/snapback]

It's the international swimming governing body's World Cup. And the implication of your statement 'hasn't competed for years...wonder why' was pretty obvious. I can see why you're backtracking though since it was completely innaccurate.

Edited by alex

I think Berbs argument is that once these athletes have won their medals they focus on the races/events that will make them the most money rather than the ones where they represent their own country. Hey, it's a short career, why shouldn't they I say.

I think Berbs argument is that once these athletes have won their medals they focus on the races/events that will make them the most money rather than the ones where they represent their own country. Hey, it's a short career, why shouldn't they I say.

104443[/snapback]

I have no problem with that as long as they admit it - its the "I'm gutted because I can't run for my country - how much is on offer in Munich?" that gets to me