The Daily Show

Happy Face

Yep, I really like it. More for the fact you don't see many US shows (over here anyway) that blatantly take the piss out of the governent.

104330[/snapback]

That's what I love about those first 2 clips. He's genuinely disgusted by how the other networks report news.

A while back there was the what makes you proud/ashamed to be british thread, and I couldn't believe people said the BBC was shameful. The BBC might occassionally seem biased (they seem to be accused of this by all sides though which suggests they aren't) but you don't see them asking sodding spiritualists about euthenasia, or reporting a 'miracle'.

• 3 years later...

Anyone been watching him rip the shit out of "In Cramer we Trust"?

It's been class....

America cheers as satirist delivers knockout blow to TV finance gurus

For the past 10 days the US has been gripped. Even President Obama tuned in as the country's foremost TV comic, Jon Stewart, unleashed an extraordinary broadside against TV's top financial commentators for their part in the unfolding economic crisis.

First came the imperial marching music and a fiery explosion. "You've watched snippets of them for days, or meant to after your friends sent you the link," a voice boomed with mock gravity. "Tonight, the week-long feud of the century comes to a head."

It was a comically absurd drumroll for what, on the surface, was merely a squabble between TV presenters. In one corner, Jim Cramer, the closest thing to a celebrity in American financial journalism. In the opposite corner, Jon Stewart, the satirist and host of the fake news programme The Daily Show on Comedy Central. But unlike many a big fight, this one more than surpassed the hype. Nothing less than financial reporting itself was put on trial – and found severely wanting.

Cramer, who dispenses raucous advice to investors on the Mad Money show on the business channel CNBC, was eviscerated by a serious and genuinely angry Stewart. Meek and contrite, Cramer was pummelled like a rope-a-dope over his profession's failure to be an effective watchdog of Wall Street. There was no cornerman to throw in the towel.

The interview was one of those classic television moments that crystallised the public mood in the credit crisis. Stewart articulated the anger and bewilderment of millions of Americans who now feel ripped off and afraid. He framed the question everyone wanted asked: how were the financial masters of the universe allowed to pursue their ruinous behaviour unchallenged for so long?

It caught the attention of the White House, prompted a frenzy among bloggers and soul-searching in the media, which failed to spot the biggest story of a lifetime or warn the public until it was too late. Indeed, CNBC and other supposedly objective journalists stood accused of complicity with big business, belonging to a cosy coterie that egged on company chief executives and fanned the flames of excess.

The interview has also burnished Stewart's reputation as the last best hope in the media when it comes to, in the earnest phrase of news network CNN, "keeping them honest". It was this comedian who, like a court jester, told uncomfortable truths about the Iraq war when the mainstream media was playing cheerleader. Now, as the financial apocalypse unfolds, it is Stewart again who is scything through the herd mentality and culture of deference.

James Moore, a former TV news correspondent and co-author of the bestseller Bush's Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W Bush Presidential, blogged on the Huffington Post: "I am inclined to wonder if there is a line somewhere in the Book of Revelation that proclaims 'And a comic shall lead them'. Jon Stewart has set new standards for both comedy and journalism on television.

"Oddly, he was originally supposed to just make us laugh on Comedy Central. He's done that, quite proficiently, but Stewart has also figured out that some jokes are sad as well as too important not to tell. But he's not supposed to be doing the job of reporters."

For years Stewart has been building a reputation as the one-man antidote to what many regard as bland and talk-heavy US news channels. As Barack Obama, John McCain and other politicians queued up to appear on The Daily Show, a headline in the New York Times asked: "Is Jon Stewart the Most Trusted Man in America?"

His assault on Wall Street began in earnest with a classic Daily Show technique: a series of juxtaposed clips revealing incompetence and hypocrisy. First there was Rick Santelli, a CNBC reporter who tried to strike a populist chord by launching a sudden rant on a trading floor. Stewart, unimpressed, forensically dissected the channel's past mistakes, in which it made exuberantly bullish statements about the market and various investment banks shortly before they collapsed. Stewart added: "If I only followed CNBC's advice. I'd have a million dollars today – provided I'd started with $100m."

Such is his influence, in the next days ratings for Mad Money went down 10 per cent in the 25-to-54 demographic. But Cramer, a former hedge fund manager, is not one to take barbs lying down. He declared war with the sarcastic riposte: "Oh, oh, a comedian is attacking me! Wow! He runs a variety show!"

Stewart aired still more clips of Cra­mer advising his viewers to pile into Bear Stearns shares in the weeks before the bank collapsed, rendering them worthless. As the media stoked up the row, the date was set for a "facedown" last Thursday. Stewart showed the attack-dog interviewing instincts of a Humphrys or Paxman. He charged that people at CNBC knew what was going on behind the scenes on Wall Street but failed to tell the public. He accused CNBC hosts and pundits of abandoning their journalistic duties and acting like cheerleaders for the market.

Cramer proffered feeble mea culpas and acknowledged that they could do better. But the merciless Stewart produced damning footage of a 2006 interview with TheStreet.com, in which Cra­mer described, in a positive way, certain barely legal things a hedge fund manager might do to work the market to his advantage. Stewart pressed: "I understand you want to make finance entertaining. But it's not a game. And when I watch that, I can't tell you how angry that makes me."

He launched an eloquent assault that struck at the very foundations of American financial press and television. "You knew what the banks were doing, yet were touting it for months and months – the entire network was," he said. "For now to pretend that this was some sort of crazy, once-in-a-lifetime tsunami that nobody could have seen coming is disingenuous at best, and criminal at worst."

The interview became an online sensation that reached the White House. Press secretary Robert Gibbs said he has spoken to President Obama about watching the Stewart-Cramer showdown. "Despite, even as Mr Stewart said, that it may have been uncomfortable to conduct and uncomfortable to watch - I thought somebody asked a lot of tough questions," the spokesman said.

Insiders at CNBC have acknowledged the episode was a public relations disaster. A day after his public thrashing, Cramer declared that, "although I was clearly outside of my safety zone, I have the utmost respect for this person and the work that they do, no matter how uncomfortable it was".

Now the media has finally been forced into introspection. Andrew Leckey, a former CNBC host and now president of the Donald W Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism at Arizona State University, said: "In a tremendous boom period, they covered the boom and people wanted to believe in the boom. They didn't uncover the lies that were told to them. Nobody did. But they should be held to a higher responsibility."

Britain has had its own satirical news in the shape of the The Day Today and the long-running Have I Got News for You, but nothing that has the impact of The Daily Show.

However, Robert Peston, the BBC's business editor, denied that a British Stewart was necessary. "Cramer has been attacked by Jon Stewart for being too optimistic after the crisis started in the summer of 2007," he said yesterday. "The allegation against him and CNBC is that they were taking too rose-tinted a view of what was subsequently going on at various institutions. That is simply not a criticism that I think can be levelled at most UK financial journalists.

"If Stewart tried to do that over here, I think he'd look like an idiot because I don't think there's evidence for falling down on the job in remotely the same way. I don't think it's possible to do it because the evidence isn't there of a complacent, or self-satisfied, or lazy, or unduly optimistic media."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/1...stewart-economy

Video...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrind...cnbc-daily-show

Edited by Happy Face

Was incredible tv. I was expecting some hard hitting questions but mostly ribbing the manner in which Cramer presents, instead it was heavy hit after heavy hit, an unrelenting tirade shaming CNBC.

There were several points where I thought Cramer was going to cry. I'm not sure if staying on the show and suffering the assault was any better than storming off in a fit (from a purely PR stand point).

That's where I think a lot of America gets confused (or mislead, depending on how you look at it).

Now that the news has become so close to entertainment, what with all the worrying over ratings, subsequently, entertainment has figured out it should act a little more like news.

I mentioned to one of my co-workers that while I don't care for his show, I had to admit I thought Rush Limbaugh was a talented radio personality to stay on the air for so long and have the listenership he does. I said, aside from only Stern, I couldn't think of anyone bigger than Limbaugh.

Boy, did I have it wrong! Rush isn't a "radio guy" I was informed. He's a "news guy."

Uh, yeah. Ok.

That's the problem with all those shows, aside from, ironically enough, the Daily Show- they're all entertainment masquerading as news.

• 1 year later...
More4 is cutting back from five editions of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart per week to just one.

From next month Channel 4's digital service will only air the Monday Daily Show Global Edition, marking an end to the five-year deal which began with More4's launch in 2005.

More4 broadcasts the daily edition of the irreverent US current affairs show on Tuesday to Friday evenings at 8.30pm, with the Global Edition on Monday evenings.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "More4 will continue to show The Daily Show Global edition on Monday nights in the new year, so viewers will still have the opportunity to see the best of Jon Stewart's Daily Show in the UK."

Broadcast in the US on cable channel, Comedy Central, Stewart's satirical news programme attracts an average of between 60,000 and 90,000 viewers in the UK.

More4 bought the US version of Shameless in August, as it moved to bolster its roster of "high-end American programming".

The money recouped from reducing transmissions of The Daily Show should allow the broadcaster more room to invest in arts programming, such as the True Stories documentary strand, which it signalled a commitment to earlier this year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/2...ly-show-stewart

Gutted about this.

Still as brilliant as ever.

The last show before the christmas break, devoted to 9/11 first responders being sold out by the Republicans for the sake of ensuring tax cuts go to the wealthiest, and the absolute failure of the news stations to cover that story in any detail was excellent.

http://www.salon.com/news/trending/2010/12/17/jon_stewart

Edited by Happy Face

The last show before the christmas break, devoted to 9/11 first responders being sold out by the Republicans for the sake of ensuring tax cuts go to the wealthiest, and the absolute failure of the news stations to cover that story in any detail was excellent.

Yeah, saw this and it was superb. As much as he will go over dramatic on things for comedy effect, he looked generally fucked off about the whole 9/11 responder issue..especially those politicians being total fucking hypocrits about it. Good stuff.

More4 is cutting back from five editions of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart per week to just one.

From next month Channel 4's digital service will only air the Monday Daily Show Global Edition, marking an end to the five-year deal which began with More4's launch in 2005.

More4 broadcasts the daily edition of the irreverent US current affairs show on Tuesday to Friday evenings at 8.30pm, with the Global Edition on Monday evenings.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "More4 will continue to show The Daily Show Global edition on Monday nights in the new year, so viewers will still have the opportunity to see the best of Jon Stewart's Daily Show in the UK."

Broadcast in the US on cable channel, Comedy Central, Stewart's satirical news programme attracts an average of between 60,000 and 90,000 viewers in the UK.

More4 bought the US version of Shameless in August, as it moved to bolster its roster of "high-end American programming".

The money recouped from reducing transmissions of The Daily Show should allow the broadcaster more room to invest in arts programming, such as the True Stories documentary strand, which it signalled a commitment to earlier this year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/2...ly-show-stewart

Gutted about this.

Still as brilliant as ever.

http://www.salon.com/news/trending/2010/12/17/jon_stewart

Typical :jesuswept: