A good christian woman freaks out

Mags

Wow what a mentalist !

That just underlines my reasoning for distancing myself from any form of organised religion.

I just love how that woman was going off on one because of unchristian activity whilst she herself was performing one of the most unchrist-like rants I have ever witnessed !!

And then she decided to take their money !!!!!!

How Christian of her !

Well I know what they're like. Personally I find them all friendly and caring people, and none I know anyway, are in deserving of this criticism people here are giving them. It's too easy to see the negative sides of religion and the fundamentalists can make people have such bad opinions of the religion and its followers. All I see here, is people saying stuff like show me a Christian and you'll see a scared fool etc. Nothing recognising that they're just normal people, who happen to believe in something others do not. Why should such people get abuse?

We can't even make sure this video is even real.

105461[/snapback]

Theres an argument I've read that the main threat posed by religion isn't fundamentalists but moderates which you describe.

The problem is that people are so obviously reasonable about it but they provide a shield for the dodgy fuckers. If moderates didn't exist then the fundamentalists would be more isolated and easier to deal with. Whats needed is for decent religious people to take as much as a stand against the extremists as non-believers do. I;m not just talking about the lip service thats goes on at the moment but a strong "we will not tolerate you" ethos.

I could go on and on criticising that woman, for the way she is acting, but I didn't because I wanted to make my point about the moderates, that the fundamentalists are giving them a bad name.

Of course, behaviour like that should not be tolerated.

But then again when people talk about people trying to force others to believe in God, it's more a sign of showing care that that person takes the right direction in life. They may think it's rubbish mind, but are too cynical to accept the thoughts of that person.

However that example with the crazy woman, is undeniably no way it should be done, if it had to be.

As I've said before the real mistake made imo is that morals require religion - people can be and are brought up to be just as "decent" as any believers without any faith (both passively like a lot of CofE people and actively by atheists).

I think in the past people may have needed the carrot and stick approach of religion to morals but I think we could and should be enlightened enough to teach right and wrong on an "obvious" basis without the need for fire and brimstone nonsense.

On a related note I had some missionaries knock at my door the other night so I politely told them they'd be wasting their time - "Do you have any faith?" they asked - I described myself as a "fundamentalist atheist" which at least made them smile :)

Plus I happen to know many more Christians than any of you lot, so I think it's fair that I can argue against your comments.

105457[/snapback]

That's one of the most unaware statements I've ever read.

Well I know what they're like. Personally I find them all friendly and caring people, and none I know anyway, are in deserving of this criticism people here are giving them. It's too easy to see the negative sides of religion and the fundamentalists can make people have such bad opinions of the religion and its followers. All I see here, is people saying stuff like show me a Christian and you'll see a scared fool etc. Nothing recognising that they're just normal people, who happen to believe in something others do not. Why should such people get abuse?

We can't even make sure this video is even real.

105461[/snapback]

I'm baffled by how you've become the resident expert on Christians, you seem to be suggesting that they're all nice people, what a staggering generalisation.

How do we know the video is real? Do you think it's a lost Disney animated classic? I would say the kid's reaction tells us two things, it's genuine and it's not the first time she's done it.

I think the problem with these debates is that logic and reason always seem to be missing from one side of the argument, it's not everything but it's important.

Theres an argument I've read that the main threat posed by religion isn't fundamentalists but moderates which you describe.

105489[/snapback]

I think Dawkins uses that argument, how does that work if we transpose it to vegetarians and animal rights activists?

Only in America...

105538[/snapback]

You think?

105541[/snapback]

It was an exaggeration, but I certainly think that there are probably a lot more Christian fundamentalists in America than in Western Europe - one of them is even President! It's not surprising though when you consider that a lot of the early immigrants to America were extreme Protestants.

Add to that the statistical FACT that Americans are the fattest people in the world.  :)

105558[/snapback]

Probably right there. Question begs tho now with that one being as large as she is how in God's name (her God, yours, mine, whatever) was she flexible enough to get her head that far up her arse?

Okay DotBum, I'd have really like to put this thread behind me, and I wish I could have made the argument clearer. I may end up leaving this place anyway as it isn;t really for me.

But I was saying this - the attitude towards Christians here, or anybody with a religion is very negative, but I feel also lacks an open-mind. Myself, knowing many Christians know the sort of people they are like, and it really confuses me that they should get so much abuse. I think it is fair to say it is part of the nature of most (not all) "true" Christians to be caring, decent folk. But because you see a picture of a lunatic fundamentalist (hate the world, but I'll use it here), people can easily be lead to the idea Christianity is comprised of stupid, annoying whiners who just want to shove their faith on people.

And of course there are people like that. But what about the rest? You may find the idea of God silly and religion pointless, but they aren't doing anything to harm you. It's just like people who like witchcraft - maybe you think that's stupid but it doesn't affect you, so there's no need to worry. I was saying this because as a Christian, I come into close contact with them, so I know more on the matter of what they are actually like.

When religion gets to the point when a person says "as a christian I cannot say that word", (the word in quesiton being 'flirt') what good is it?

Fair enough if you believe in something, but to impose your believe upon another, in some cases forcefully is wrong. Said deity is supposed to have given us free will, thus just because you are a christian, doesn't mean your children have to be.

There are too many religious people like the woman in the video, and it is nothing but harmful to modern society to have such extremists/fundamentalist views. Relgion is often a guise for acts of racism anyway, so something must be done to stop idiots becoming "spiritual warriors".

I don't think anyone is particularly saying all Christians are like her, I know a few religious people who are perfectly normal people.

Anyway that's my two cents worth.

trouble is that those kids could become as clearly unhinged and spread the insanity.. the trouble is that if she believed in Aliens with such vehement rage she'd be dismissed as a kook.

it's people like that which terrify me, she is one convincing sermon away from strapping a bomb to a car and blowing up a synagogue or mosque, she is afterall a spiritual warrior... and they are "Dork Sided"..

I hope that I never scare my kids the way that woman terrified her own.

I can understand you defending your faith, it is yours afterall, but this isn't faith, this is religious zeal, the likes of which we would normally identify as typical of the Islamic faith. She's more narrow minded than those of us who decry all forms of religion, cetainly more dangerous.

I can teach any children I have morals and ethics, without imposing my belief or lack thereof. That way they can (if they choose) take a religion when they are at the age to make such a decision, based on their interpretation and knowledge, rather than simply fgollowing in their fathers footsteps.