Been asking this for weeks and no one

Jusoda Kid

Absolutely.

It would be very interesting to see how many people approved this appointment...then turn round later and blame Fred for appointing another "shit" manager

Although I obviously hope he appoints a top manager with a winning CV, as he can't attract them, like Kenny Dalglish, Robson and to a lesser extent Gullit

There is no way, absolutely none, that O'Neill will match the 2nd place finish or the football etc that Keegan gave us, and that should be our aim at least.

Never in a million years, no matter how much money we give him.

knows the answer.

What the fuck has the little, mackem, lepricorn done to make him such a good canditate for the Toon job?

105561[/snapback]

Inexplicably lead Leicester City to two league cups, and showed enormous loyalty to the midland club when constantly linked to bigger clubs, then performed an extraordinary salvage job transformed Celtic from isolated runners-up to instant treble winners.

Continued success, including a Uefa Cup final, made him Celtic's most influential figure since Jock Stein. Intense, intelligent and arguably the most sort after manager in British football.

Honours:

Scottish Championship (2) 2000-01, 2001-02

Scottish Cup 2001,2004,2005

League Cup 2000-01, Runners up 2003

English League Cup (2) 1997, 2000.

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

knows the answer.

What the fuck has the little, mackem, lepricorn done to make him such a good canditate for the Toon job?

105561[/snapback]

Inexplicably lead Leicester City to two league cups, and showed enormous loyalty to the midland club when constantly linked to bigger clubs, then performed an extraordinary salvage job transformed Celtic from isolated runners-up to instant treble winners.

Continued success, including a Uefa Cup final, made him Celtic's most influential figure since Jock Stein. Intense, intelligent and arguably the most sort after manager in British football.

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

To be fair, I do remember Souness winning a Cup with Blackburn and promotion...

And a equally successful record in Scotland.

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

Souness's tenure at Rangers was a round the time of the Taylor report which made it madatory that clubs upgrade their grounds to all seaters, Ibrox was already an all seater stadium and didn't have to invest in upgrading their ground and could instead invest in players whilst the likes of Celtic etc had to spend millions upgrading theirs, and could also take advantage of buying quality English players during the time of UEFA's ban on English teams in Europe.

So not exactly a fair comparison.

also, has Martin O'Neill ever been sacked as a manager after turning his team into relegation fodder ?

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

Souness's tenure at Rangers was a round the time of the Taylor report which made it madatory that clubs upgrade their grounds to all seaters, Ibrox was already an all seater stadium and didn't have to invest in upgrading their ground and could instead invest in players whilst the likes of Celtic etc had to spend millions upgrading theirs, and could also take advantage of buying quality English players during the time of UEFA's ban on English teams in Europe.

also, has Martin O'Neill ever been sacked as a manager after turning his team into relegation fodder ?

105616[/snapback]

I agree with you in a way...

O'Neill does seem like a decent manager but you have to look at all angles, and I really believe the Mackem boy-hood thing isn't helping to win over some fans and I'm not surpirsed.

But tbh, it looks as if the job is his now.

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

Comparing CVs' between O'Neill and Souness is pointless, as they are virtually identical.

The point that O'Neill is invariably a better manager than Souness is unarguable, that is not too difficult in itself but more than anything else he has a brain, and is intelligent enough to be flexible when playing in a bigger stage and will realise players have to be managed according to their personalities.

Appointing any manager purely on their CV is also dodgy indeed, as Kenny Dalglish had an outstanding one with few equals. Which is why those who claim Fred does not or cannot appoint top managers is just as much incorrect as blatantly peculiar as the fact that spouting out vastly inferior CV's and saying they are "better" purely on that basis makes no sense whatsoever.

Throw in Robson - a manager of world wide held esteem and Gullit who won the FA Cup and left a team that went on to more success and it rips the criteria of claiming the current candidates [apart from Hitzfeld] are good ones, and these past ones were not good ones.... and .....well it rips the theory up for arsepaper I would say.

Edited by LeazesMag

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

Comparing CVs' between O'Neill and Souness is pointless, as they are virtually identical.

The point that O'Neill is invariably a better manager than Souness is unarguable, that is not too difficult in itself but more than anyone else he has a brain, and is intelligent enough to be flexible when playing in a bigger stage and will realise players have to be managed according to their personalities.

Appointing any manager purely on their CV is also dodgy indeed, as Kenny Dalglish had an outstanding one with few equals.

105621[/snapback]

So, wise one, we should appoint..............

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

The point that O'Neill is invariably a better manager than Souness is unarguable, that is not too difficult in itself but more than anyone else he has a brain, and is intelligent enough to be flexible when playing in a bigger stage and will realise players have to be managed according to their personalities.

Appointing any manager purely on their CV is also dodgy indeed, as Kenny Dalglish had an outstanding one with few equals.

105621[/snapback]

Agreed, but the point of this thread was to answer "What has O'Neill done to make him a candidate for the Newcastle job".

Has Martin O'Neill been sacked by anyone? Not to my knowledge.

Brought Wycombe on, Stepped up to Leicester. Turned them into a steady Premiership side, took them as far as they could go. Step up to Celtic. Celtic in their worst mess since...Souness was at Rangers. Walks to the treble in his first season. Brings a team of average players to the UEFA Cup Final, Beating the likes of Liverpool, Souness' Blackburn, Stuttgart along the way. Masterminded the 1-0 conquering of Rijkaards Barca a season later, during Barcas amazing run in the 2nd half of that season.

Not much of a track record is it?

Why do most Man Ure fans seem to think he'd be the right man for that job? Because he's a little mackem lepricorn (whatever that is...)?

No. Because he is a good man manager, a motivator and he knows what it takes to win things at a club with massive expectation (Celtic).

Give him the job now

I agree with you in a way...

O'Neill does seem like a decent manager but you have to look at all angles, and I really believe the Mackem boy-hood thing isn't helping to win over some fans and I'm not surpirsed.

But tbh, it looks as if the job is his now.

105619[/snapback]

The mackem thing doesn't bother me in the slightest - what does is the absolutely terrible football that Leicester played and I've read a couple of comments that suggest that it was no different at Celtic.

I've always thought it would be "interesting" in a car crash style to see how Newcastle fans would react to a "basic" but relatively successful style of football - I think I'll find out if we get O'Neill.

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

105621[/snapback]

Agreed, but the point of this thread was to answer "What has O'Neill done to make him a candidate for the Newcastle job".

105623[/snapback]

I don't know, certainly nothing more than Dalglish and Robson anyway.

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

105621[/snapback]

105622[/snapback]

Well, who do you think ? Whoever I say, I won't go back later if it doesn't work and slag Fred off for making a "shit" one

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

105621[/snapback]

105622[/snapback]

Well, who do you think ? Whoever I say, I won't go back later if it doesn't work and slag Fred off for making a "shit" one

105627[/snapback]

Just a simple question, who would you like to see appointed?

Brought Wycombe on, Stepped up to Leicester. Turned them into a steady Premiership side, took them as far as they could go. Step up to Celtic. Celtic in their worst mess since...Souness was at Rangers. Walks to the treble in his first season. Brings a team of average players to the UEFA Cup Final, Beating the likes of Liverpool, Souness' Blackburn, Stuttgart along the way. Masterminded the 1-0 conquering of Rijkaards Barca a season later, during Barcas amazing run in the 2nd half of that season.

Why do most Man Ure fans seem to think he'd be the right man for that job? Because he's a little mackem lepricorn (whatever that is...)?

No. Because he is a good man manager, a motivator and he knows what it takes to win things at a club with massive expectation (Celtic).

Give him the job now

105624[/snapback]

Martin O'Neills run to the final of the UEFA Cup is no different to, in fact not as good as, David O'Learys to the semi Final of the Champions League, and so IMO ought to be left to stew in the "possible fluke" section .........

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

105613[/snapback]

105616[/snapback]

105621[/snapback]

105622[/snapback]

105627[/snapback]

Just a simple question, who would you like to see appointed?

105628[/snapback]

All of the current candidates have good and bad arguments, 2 or 3 of them could get to the height that Keegan got us to, 3 or 4 of them never will. And IMO the chairman and board of directors are in place who are capable of backing these heights.

However, that is just my opinion. If you are so keen to see answers to questions, how about answering the ones that I keep asking for and no one has as yet providing factual answers.......all of them totally answerable too

Edited by LeazesMag

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

Not impressed tbh, a monkey could do the business up in scotland and if my memory serves me correctly he also spent a few quid up there so the stadium refurbishment argument is out the window and as for loyalty i don't believe there's any left in todays game, money does the talking these days.

Don't know about you lot but i don't want to watch Boltonesque style football for the next few years.

knows the answer.

105561[/snapback]

Honours:

UEFA Cup finalists 2003.

Thread over ?

105611[/snapback]

Not impressed tbh, a monkey could do the business up in scotland and if my memory serves me correctly he also spent a few quid up there so the stadium refurbishment argument is out the window and as for loyalty i don't believe there's any left in todays game, money does the talking these days.

Don't know about you lot but i don't want to watch Boltonesque style football for the next few years.

105636[/snapback]

You obviously didn't bother to read it properly.

The stadium refurbishment is in relation to Souness at Rangers, Rangers didn't need to spend money on Ibrox whilst Celtic had to, this ment Rangers pissed over the oposition who were forced to spend money on their grounds instead of team improvement.

Didn't Rangers build their "platinum club" and other improvements during that period?

Not saying they spent as much as Celtic but its not as simplistic as you make out.

I could also point out the last day title loss the other year as a "negative".

I also have concerns over his wife - as I 've said before I admire what he's done but the thing about cancer is that 6 months/1 year/2years down the line she could become ill again and we may face a Celtic situation again.

I do think O'Neill is a better manager than Souness but not by much. I think as I've also said before that if we get him we would become a paerennial top 6 team again. However I think the ambition that LM mentions of going higher would be beyond us. I also feel we'd have to endure less "proper" football.

I'd rather have him than the usual Bruce etc suspects but I think they're out of the equation now anyway.

Give him the job now

105624[/snapback]

Martin O'Neills run to the final of the UEFA Cup is no different to, in fact not as good as, David O'Learys to the semi Final of the Champions League, and so IMO ought to be left to stew in the "possible fluke" section .........

105630[/snapback]

Well then why don't you take into account the amount of money O'Neill spent on his Celtic side then compare it to the sides he beat en route to the UEFA Cup final, then do the same with O'Leary and the sides he beat to get to the CL semifinal and tell me again that there is no difference between the two.