Fined for putting rubbish in a bin

Scottish Mag

BAFFLED Andy Tierney last night blasted council busybodies over his £50 litter bin fine, saying: “I did the right thing.”

And he vowed to fight the pompous fixed penalty notice, issued for dumping two junk mail letters.

It accused him of committing “an offence under Section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990”. It continued: “Domestic refuse from your property was dumped into a street litter bin . . . the fixed penalty is £50.”

The council classes letters as “domestic litter”, which should not be dropped in public street bins.

Warehouseman Andy, 24, said: “How on earth can they fine me for being tidy? It’s absolute madness.

“I could have easily chucked those letters on the ground, but I put them in the bin. What has happened is a joke. The council is barmy.

“I never thought you could be fined for putting rubbish in a bin — that’s what they’re there for.”

Andy was walking from his front door to his car when his postman handed him the junk mail. He opened both letters as he strolled — then dumped them in the bin on a lamppost.

But council officials traced him from the addresses on the envelopes and issued the penalty.

The heavy-handed council letter threatened Andy with further action and a conviction if he does not pay within 14 days. But Andy, of Hinckley, Leicestershire, insisted: “There’s absolutely no way I’m paying up.

“You get fined for chucking rubbish on the ground. You get fined for chucking rubbish in the bin. So what exactly are you supposed to do?”

“To me ‘domestic refuse’ is household stuff like potato peelings and tin cans.

“Besides, those letters didn’t even enter my house.”

Hinckley and Bosworth Council last night DEFENDED their action and denied they were being petty.

A spokesman said: “A fixed penalty notice is served to people who we believe have committed an offence.

“Our litter bins are there to keep streets tidy, as they enable the public to deposit small amounts of litter. They are not provided for household waste.”

But local councillor Julie Price said: “It seems very severe. I would prefer it if there was a warning first.” She said she would ask the authority to put warning signs on bins.

They suspended the fine after the bright glare of publicity was shone in their direction.... muppets

106077[/snapback]

Well at least the right decision was made, even if it wasn't made for the right reasons.

To be fair, with this kind of story you usually read a bit further and discover that he tried to put six sacks of compost and a dead cat in there too...

106090[/snapback]

:)

We should be grateful for these idiots for showing the system up, anyway. Now if we can just get them to implement the necessary changes...

“I could have easily chucked those letters on the ground, but I put them in the bin."

Worst defence ever. Can I go round punching people and defend myself with "Could be worse, could've been stabbed!"?

Scum of the earth tbh, string him up. And hurry up with reducing the sentences for them poor rapists.

And let that nice Mr Hussain off the hook

“I could have easily chucked those letters on the ground, but I put them in the bin."

Worst defence ever.  Can I go round punching people and defend myself with "Could be worse, could've been stabbed!"?

Scum of the earth tbh, string him up.  And hurry up with reducing the sentences for them poor rapists.

And let that nice Mr Hussain off the hook

106096[/snapback]

Heard about the first link on the news, absolutely shocking. Rape sentences are far too short already.

Worst defence ever.  Can I go round punching people and defend myself with "Could be worse, could've been stabbed!"?

106096[/snapback]

Not really a fair comparison, he's pointing out that he, unlike many, is respecting litter laws, and they pick him up on a ridiculous technicality. Both punching and stabbing people are obvious crimes, unless the victim's name is Souness.

106096[/snapback]

Not really a fair comparison, he's pointing out that he, unlike many, is respecting litter laws, and they pick him up on a ridiculous technicality. Both punching and stabbing people are obvious crimes, unless the victim's name is Souness.

106099[/snapback]

But he's not is he? He's dumping domestic waste in a public bin. Which is a crime.

He's using the degree of crime as a defence. But we have rules for a reason. Without them, there's chaos.

Common sense says he shouldn't have even been required to come up with an excuse in this case like.

To be fair, with this kind of story you usually read a bit further and discover that he tried to put six sacks of compost and a dead cat in there too...

106090[/snapback]

Dead cats I can understand him being fined - live cats now.................

106096[/snapback]

106099[/snapback]

But he's not is he? He's dumping domestic waste in a public bin. Which is a crime.

He's using the degree of crime as a defence. But we have rules for a reason. Without them, there's chaos.

Common sense says he shouldn't have even been required to come up with an excuse in this case like.

106105[/snapback]

He's broken a by-law Shirley? Does that even count as a crime? Where's Sammy on the extremely rare occasions you need him?

But he's not is he?  He's dumping domestic waste in a public bin.  Which is a crime.

He's using the degree of crime as a defence.  But we have rules for a reason.  Without them, there's chaos.

106105[/snapback]

I can see what you're saying, I just think you're being a pedant :). He could just as easily have said, you try to do the right thing and they still behave like pricks, which, for me would have the same meaning, no?

I can see what you're saying, I just think you're being a pedant :(.  He could just as easily have said, you try to do the right thing and they still behave like pricks, which, for me would have the same meaning, no?

106116[/snapback]

Guilty as charged.