Gerrard wants Owen back at Anfield

Scottish Mag

LIVERPOOL skipper Steven Gerrard has urged boss Rafael Benitez to make the signing everyone at Anfield wants this summer - Michael Owen.

Holders Liverpool were dumped out of the European Cup last week after failing to score over two legs against Benfica.

Now Gerrard insists bringing England 1 striker Owen back to Anfield will revive the club's fortunes in Europe and the Premiership next season.

would love to see Michael Owen wear the red shirt of Liverpool again. But that is not my decision, that is the manager's decision," said Gerrard last night.

Owen was desperate to re-join Liverpool last season after one year at Real Madrid following his £8 million move.

But when Newcastle offered Real £16m for the 26-year-old Liverpool refused to match it, having sold their star striker for half that amount a year earlier, and Owen joined the Toon.

A Kop bid to nick Owen would cause uproar on Tyneside, but I Gerrard believes Owen is the I answer to the goalscoring crisis that has wrecked the defence of their European crown and is seriously undermining their bid for second place in the Premiership. "We have struggled to turn chances into goals so I think someone along the lines of Michael could be the missing piece we are looking for," added Gerrard.

"But I am not sure if the manager wants Michael back or not. The decision is Rafa's and not mine.

"Michael scores goals so who wouldn't want him in the team. I am going to be biased towards Michael because he is one of my best friends. I love Michael Owen, he is a great striker - and he scores goals."

Liverpool's strike-force will be under the microscope again at Highbury today. Victory is vital to their hopes of finishing second and hing automatic Champions League qualification for next season. Having scored only five goals in their last ten games Liverpool are desperate to find their goal k. Failure to do so could derail their season and send Benitez - battling with the board over funds to strengthen his side - into the arms of Real Mdrid or Inter Milan. But d is confident Benitez will stay and make the signings that will turn Liverpool into genuine Premiership contenders.

Gerrard said: "When the speculation was happening about me and my future last summer Rafa told me he wanted me to be here for 10 years -

"I have got full confidence in the manager that he will make the right decisions in the summer to strengthen this team. And next year we'll have another good go in the Champions League and run Chelsea closer in the League.

"We knew when we won the Champions Cup we weren't the finished team. We knew we had a bit of luck on the way there, although we deserved to win it.

"We now have to pick ourselves up, and the FA Cup becomes even more important.

"There is pressure on us because some of our results of late are not good enough because we are not finishing in front of goal.

"It is something we need to address but it is quite clear how this team needs to improve. We are playing some really good football, keeping the ball well and not conceding many goals in the League. We just need to start scoring goals - starting against Arsenal.''

£20million and they can have him.

105661[/snapback]

He'll go in the summer, it's just a matter of how much. I reckon we'll be lucky to get £10m.

105664[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I think you're right. The only thing going in our favour is the new manager situation, if he comes in and then sells Owen for a knockdown price then its not going to look like a great first move so hopefully hes someone with the balls to stand up and be counted.

To be fair though, get more than we sold him for and I'll not be devastated as long as we spend it wisely.

105661[/snapback]

He'll go in the summer, it's just a matter of how much. I reckon we'll be lucky to get £10m.

105664[/snapback]

That makes no sense to me, I mean fair enough I'm cynical that he will stay, but why would ffs accept anything less than we bought him for? I just don't think he would, real got a profit on him and I think we will too 20 mill should suffice and with that cash our new manager could be a new striker who might not be as good but won't be as injury prone!

105661[/snapback]

105664[/snapback]

That makes no sense to me, I mean fair enough I'm cynical that he will stay, but why would ffs accept anything less than we bought him for? I just don't think he would, real got a profit on him and I think we will too 20 mill should suffice and with that cash our new manager could be a new striker who might not be as good but won't be as injury prone!

105668[/snapback]

Uhh it's not given it's david healey hence the northern ireland badge beside him, lol but anyway it's not a comment about england norn iron relations I assure you, merely a coincidence

105661[/snapback]

105664[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I think you're right. The only thing going in our favour is the new manager situation, if he comes in and then sells Owen for a knockdown price then its not going to look like a great first move so hopefully hes someone with the balls to stand up and be counted.

To be fair though, get more than we sold him for and I'll not be devastated as long as we spend it wisely.

105667[/snapback]

I agree.

Bringing in, for example, Jason Roberts and Craig Bellamy ( ok ok, but I'm serious ) I think would be a decent deal if Owen went for at least what the club paid.

105661[/snapback]

105664[/snapback]

105668[/snapback]

It depends on the strength of desire Owen has to leave the club. I reckon it'll be known that he's not happy and wants to go, that will bring about lower bids and in the end the club will take it. It won't make sense to keep a player who wants to leave.

I hope I'm wrong.

Has there been a week when either the press of Liverpool haven't tried to unsettle Owen?  :)

He chose us; get over it.

105675[/snapback]

He didn't really have much of a choice in the end though did he? Liverpool simply weren't willing to pay double what they sold him for a year earlier. So he could sit on the bench at Madrid or swallow his pride and come here.

It's almost inevitable he'll be off in the summer :(

Our only chance of keeping him is if he feels he owes us something because he has missed so much of this season. I think this is unlikely however, as he is very single-minded and always makes his decisions on what is best for him and his family.

Couple this with the fact that Liverpool are struggling to find a cutting edge and the press shit-stiring, and the writing is on the wall.

Alan Green was wittering on with SAcousers on 606 last night. He said he was sure that there was a £12 million clause in Owens contract. I thought it was bollocks at first but then remembered he had close ties with Souness and it did sound a bit more likely.

Alan Green was wittering on with SAcousers on 606 last night. He said he was sure that there was a £12 million clause in Owens contract. I thought it was bollocks at first but then remembered he had close ties with Souness and it did sound a bit more likely.

105784[/snapback]

Scouse radio and scousers have long been going on about said clause. I posted a while back about phil thompsons saying on radio scouser that there was a £12mil release if we didnt qualify for europe.

Whether its true or not only owen, his agent and the club know. The rest is media bollocks. Personally i don't think Benitez really wants him, thats why he sold him in the first place. The links with liverpool is more the boards and owens desire imo.

Alan Green was wittering on with Scousers on 606 last night. He said he was sure that there was a £12 million clause in Owens contract. I thought it was bollocks at first but then remembered he had close ties with Souness and it did sound a bit more likely.

105784[/snapback]

Scouse radio and scousers have long been going on about said clause. I posted a while back about phil thompsons saying on radio scouser that there was a £12mil release if we didnt qualify for europe.

Whether its true or not only owen, his agent and the club know. The rest is media bollocks. Personally i don't think Benitez really wants him, thats why he sold him in the first place. The links with liverpool is more the boards and owens desire imo.

105793[/snapback]

Probably just speculation then. Green is based in the North West so he'll have caught it off them then. It does seem that Benitez isn't too keen, I suppose it depends on how the season finishes for them and what kind of pressure he is under to find a striker.

Why would we sell him for £10m?

If he goes after we've paid his wages while he's been out, I'll be tempted to track him down and give him a Chinese burn.

105776[/snapback]

I already said why.

105777[/snapback]

You're telling me the club should just cave in if he feels like going?

Fuck that.

So, again, why would we sell him for £10m?

he could well be off in the summer but i doubt we'd let him go for less than we paid for him. i'm sure there's a get out clause but surely even fat fred isn't stupid enough to set the fee at less than £16m.

he owes us at least another season after all the injuries. if we get a decent manager in and qualify for europe he might end up staying.

Edited by Dan

Why would we sell him for £10m?

If he goes after we've paid his wages while he's been out, I'll be tempted to track him down and give him a Chinese burn.

105776[/snapback]

I already said why.

105777[/snapback]

You're telling me the club should just cave in if he feels like going?

Fuck that.

So, again, why would we sell him for £10m?

105860[/snapback]

The power rests with the player these days.

Don't think he'll at the end of this season, as he'd look like a complete twat, try next season.

105887[/snapback]

I can't see him going. He kept on repeating to Jim White that he would be here for three years, remember.