Rambo

Holden McGroin

What worried me was that he went to pieces after his mistake. Needs to be made of sterner stuff than that.

Edit: I wasn't condoning a mass scapegoating btw.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

Ramage is very similar to Aaron Hughes in that he's always going to be a liability against the better teams, decent squad player but not good enough to be a regular at right back.

It'll be interesting to see if he ever gets a run in the middle.

Ramage is very similar to Aaron Hughes in that he's always going to be a liability against the better teams, decent squad player but not good enough to be a regular at right back.

It'll be interesting to see if he ever gets a run in the middle.

105827[/snapback]

He said in an inteview with The Mag that he now sees full back as his position.

He made a stupid mistake, it happens, if people are now slagging him off for it then they are the sterotypical fickle football fans and it just makes them look stupid.

He's had an excellent season playing out of position in a back four with no organisation (until Roeder) in a team playing with no tactics or ideas (until Roeder) so he's done remarkably well considering.

He needs to work on his distribution and crossing so that he becomes a valuable attacking force to help out Nobby on the right, but he's certainly done his defensive work this season.

All players fuck up at least once in their career....

I was interested to come on and see if there was a mass anti-Roeder motion going on by the fickle quarter seeing as he'd lost his first game. I'm happy to see that, on Toontastic at least, there isn't....

:)

Well I think he's not good enough, nowt to do with today's performance in particular. He's never looked much good to me, he's just another one who has come through the ranks and people are so desperate for him to succeed they're blind to his lack of quality.

I want him to turn out good enough, I don't think he will though.

Well I think he's not good enough, nowt to do with today's performance in particular. He's never looked much good to me, he's just another one who has come through the ranks and people are so desperate for him to succeed they're blind to his lack of quality.

105844[/snapback]

I know its all down to personal opinion and all that but I honestly have to disagree, hes given 100% every game, been up and down that wing with Solano and frankly appears to have created a canny partnership with little Nobby. To the point where today I felt Nobby was a bit missing in action and now I think its down to Ramage having a bad un, he lost his main feeder.

Again, my memory is shot to shit but it was only the other week where he made about 3 clearances off the line in one game. Frankly for me he was one of the few that could hold his head up during some of the darker days games.

105844[/snapback]

That is exactly what i think of him.

his distribution is a bit hit or miss but that mistake today aside, he's hardly put a foot wrong defensively this season. he doesn't look a natural full back to me but he's done well for a young lad in a dodgy backline.

he's looked far more composed at times than bounsong (£8m) and bramble (£5m). i reckon he could turn out to be a decent centre half in time.

105844[/snapback]

I know its all down to personal opinion and all that but I honestly have to disagree, hes given 100% every game, been up and down that wing with Solano and frankly appears to have created a canny partnership with little Nobby. To the point where today I felt Nobby was a bit missing in action and now I think its down to Ramage having a bad un, he lost his main feeder.

Again, my memory is shot to shit but it was only the other week where he made about 3 clearances off the line in one game. Frankly for me he was one of the few that could hold his head up during some of the darker days games.

105846[/snapback]

I do not disagree that he gives 100% and puts in some good performances i do however have question marks over his ability at the highest level. For me he gets hyped up a bit to much but who wouldnt being compared with his defensive partners of Boumsong, Elliott and Babayaro.

Overall he'll do a turn when needed but IMO will never be the standard of player needed for the level that people expect us to be at.

Like HTL i hope he proves me wrong and develops into a wonderful player, i just do not see enough in his game at the moment to convince me of this.

Okay he fucked up. And to be honest being so early in the game, it probably decided it.

What's important is how he reacts to it. It's ridiculous slagging players off for one mistake.

I was more embarrassed by Boumsong's display of "international standard" defending against VanNiss. Shocking.

I have to say that I kind of agree with HTL's judgement. Ramage has done remarkably well this season considering the circumstances and was all around a bright spot, but I don't think he will be anything more than a mediocre Premiership player in the future. Solid in the Hughesinho style but nothing more.

105844[/snapback]

105846[/snapback]

I honestly don't think he has much going for him other than grit and determination.

His reading of the game is poor, his awareness is poor, he has below average pace and his distribution is very dodgy. I really don't think he's a PL player.

As always when I think this about a Newcastle player, I hope he proves me wrong.

Okay he fucked up. And to be honest being so early in the game, it probably decided it.

What's important is how he reacts to it. It's ridiculous slagging players off for one mistake.

I was more embarrassed by Boumsong's display of "international standard" defending against VanNiss. Shocking.

105867[/snapback]

Aye, I have to say some of Shrek's 'movements' made him look clown like. I've never seen anything like a couple of his moments today. I wondered if he was having a fit at one stage.

Although Boum was shocking again today, was good to see him walk over to Ramage and show him some encouragement rather than give him a bollocking, as anyone could see the lad was down

Although Boum was shocking again today, was good to see him walk over to Ramage and show him some encouragement rather than give him a bollocking, as anyone could see the lad was down

105879[/snapback]

I know it doesn't say much, but he was one of a better defenders today, saved us on several occasions.

ManU were brilliant today, and Rooney is absolutely immense.

They let us off the hook, and they were so good we weren't disgraced, although our shortcomings were obvious.

Although they got far too many balls into our box, and you could say we shouldn't have allowed that to happen, I think the key to this is keeping possession, which boils down to playing the ball out, showing your own creativity and keeping it out so it doesn't come straight back, the biggest failing from this aspect being up front where Shearer has only a handful of games left and his partner is just not up to it.

We have to spend a serious amount of money to partner Owen, and buy a 3rd striker which you need if you any ambitions at all, having sold Bellamy, who would have been brilliant with Owen.

But in the centre of defence, although a lot of balls came in, the lack of ability to deal with them is awful. On numerous occasions manu players were free, Saha missed a clear header, Rooney when he hit the post [and stupid cockney Rednapp Jnr said about the first goal "give Rooney a chance and it's a guaranteed goal" the stupid arsewipe.

Boumsong was terrible, he's still a headless chicken. I thought today, its not just that he lacks the ability to command in the air, I think now he just lacks courage, moral courage to make decisions, show leadership, as well as the physical stuff.

Elliot aye OK we know he has never been top class, he's been a good servant.

Taylor is obviously going to be a player for us, but the same as up front, we need 2 more central defenders, of quality.

Having spent 50m quid on a team that was a top 4/5 team, and still have all of these problems, this is Souness' legacy.

Having said that, if Ramage proves to be a good cover central defender, versatile defender in the Aaron Hughes type, then we need a good right back to be first choice, so its swings and roundabouts.

For once, I find myself largely agreeing with LM.

Man Utd turned the screw on us today and our weaknesses were highlighted in the ultimate sense. Ramage did fuck up, but it was made 10 times worse by the fact that the person to pick up the scraps was Rooney - it's quite possible that many other strikers wouldn't necessarily have lobbed the ball accurately over Shay.

No-one is pretending that we have the squad to compete with Man Utd. What we need to do is focus on our negatives and make damned sure the improvements we make in this summer are in these areas.... :)