Roeder & Ramage

Rob W

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but Shearer scored a hat-trick on his professional debut. Which by my estimation would be in his first season.

107426[/snapback]

His scoring record at Southampton wasn't great though, was it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but Shearer scored a hat-trick on his professional debut. Which by my estimation would be in his first season.

107426[/snapback]

Yeah, but his goalscoring record was on par with about Chopras at the same age. (i think nufc.com did a stats comparison ealier this year)

He didn't do much that season. He was only 17 mind.

I agree with J69's sentiments. Taylor can do no wrong whilst Rambo is regarded less highly. All because of hype IMO.

I think Taylor is definitely overrated, but I don't think it necessarily follows that Ramage is underrated.

107437[/snapback]

Taylor is a future England captain © LeazesMag

Hold on, how many senior goals does Chopra have? He scored one in the cup earlier this season, and may have got a couple in the inter-toto I suppose, and although his scoring record for the reserves is half decent, I dont remember him scoring a goal in a league game (never mind a hat-trick on his debut). Shearer's scoring record at Southampton was 1 goal in three games, which I suppose doesn't sound high, but was enough for Blackburn to break the British transfer record, when he was around the same age that Ramage is now.

Hold on, how many senior goals does Chopra have? He scored one in the cup earlier this season, and may have got a couple in the inter-toto I suppose, and although his scoring record for the reserves is half decent, I dont remember him scoring a goal in a league game (never mind a hat-trick on his debut). Shearer's scoring record at Southampton was 1 goal in three games, which I suppose doesn't sound high, but was enough for Blackburn to break the British transfer record, when he was around the same age that Ramage is now.

107448[/snapback]

Think it might include his stints at Watford etc. Can't really remember tbh.

107448[/snapback]

What's your point btw? Not being arsey or owt, just not quite sure what you're getting at by comparing Shearer with Ramage, if that's what you are doing.

I've had a quick look on nufc.com, Chopra has two goals from 7 starts and 18 sub appearances. Think it'd be a bit silly adding his goals at Watford and Barnsley into the mix. This is going a bit off topic, but let's put it this way, unless Ramage score a hat-trick by the end of the season, we should get rid. Rocky should have gone long ago, he's had 7 starts to get the hat-trick, and he hasn't. Ergo, he's rubbish.

point btw? Not being arsey or owt, just not quite sure what you're getting at by comparing Shearer with Ramage, if that's what you are doing.

107453[/snapback]

I didn't compare them, it was done earlier in the thread.

I'm just adding my considerable weight to the argument.

I've had a quick look on nufc.com, Chopra has two goals from 7 starts and 18 sub appearances. Think it'd be a bit silly adding his goals at Watford and Barnsley into the mix. This is going a bit off topic, but let's put it this way, unless Ramage score a hat-trick by the end of the season, we should get rid. Rocky should have gone long ago, he's had 7 starts to get the hat-trick, and he hasn't. Ergo, he's rubbish.

107457[/snapback]

:o

I know, and I agreed with the sentiment in the first post. Then Scottish Mag piped up saying if he was good enough hed have shown it by now.

This is a lad who comes from the area, has played a lot of games games for us, has won plaudits across football, was the subject of interest from arsenal etc., always gives 100percent and he makes one mistake and people are writing him off! It just fucks me right off.

Stevie Taylor on the other hand is the next stam/nesta/adams all rolled into one, and hel get better with age apparently!

107397[/snapback]

Piped up?

Its a fucking discussion board! Not once have i stated what i say is correct in fact i have continually stated it is only my opinion, but that is something i`m entitled to have wether you disagree with it or not.

Jesus fucking wept! :o

my point is . . . . . alot of people on here have written ramage off already after 6months as not good enough.

I said henry, shearer, nistelrooy, terry, schevcenko did very little in their first 6 months and look how good they turned out to be so lets give the lad a chance

and then you decided to swerve round my point and say my examples were the worst possible ones which had nowt to do with the topic at hand and thats how we ended up here.

My starting point is still valid, ramage will serve us well for a long while and will only improve over time.

not many players come straight into the first team and hold down a place for 6 months, especially ones who arent good enough.

107329[/snapback]

Apologies, I read the words "4 to 5 years", not 6 months. :o

I know, and I agreed with the sentiment in the first post. Then Scottish Mag piped up saying if he was good enough hed have shown it by now.

This is a lad who comes from the area, has played a lot of games games for us, has won plaudits across football, was the subject of interest from arsenal etc., always gives 100percent and he makes one mistake and people are writing him off! It just fucks me right off.

Stevie Taylor on the other hand is the next stam/nesta/adams all rolled into one, and hel get better with age apparently!

107397[/snapback]

That has fuck all to do with how you should judge him as a player tbh

107397[/snapback]

Piped up?

Its a fucking discussion board! Not once have i stated what i say is correct in fact i have continually stated it is only my opinion, but that is something i`m entitled to have wether you disagree with it or not.

Jesus fucking wept! ;)

107478[/snapback]

whoooo :o

my point is . . . . . alot of people on here have written ramage off already after 6months as not good enough.

I said henry, shearer, nistelrooy, terry, schevcenko did very little in their first 6 months and look how good they turned out to be so lets give the lad a chance

and then you decided to swerve round my point and say my examples were the worst possible ones which had nowt to do with the topic at hand and thats how we ended up here.

My starting point is still valid, ramage will serve us well for a long while and will only improve over time.

not many players come straight into the first team and hold down a place for 6 months, especially ones who arent good enough.

107329[/snapback]

107525[/snapback]

well if we are going to be picky i said 4-5 seasons. granted my choice of phrases wasnt best, i should have said those players didnt make a real impact in their first 6 months, which is what we are talking about with ramage. however, terry and schevchenko did do very little for the first few seasons.

To steer the argument away from those players lets mention frank lampard instead?

Look at his first season at west ham compared to last seasons performances?!

107329[/snapback]

107525[/snapback]

well if we are going to be picky i said 4-5 seasons. granted my choice of phrases wasnt best, i should have said those players didnt make a real impact in their first 6 months, which is what we are talking about with ramage. however, terry and schevchenko did do very little for the first few seasons.

To steer the argument away from those players lets mention frank lampard instead?

107579[/snapback]

Have I missed your point here? Lampard has improved yes. But he was always better than Ramage in the first place.

I'm still waiting for your facts btw

107329[/snapback]

107525[/snapback]

107579[/snapback]

Have I missed your point here? Lampard has improved yes. But he was always better than Ramage in the first place.

I'm still waiting for your facts btw

107602[/snapback]

Lampard was sooooo average. In fact I believe he was getting booed at certain times during his West Ham stint because he was overweight, slow, lazy etc etc.

People think the best players were always GREAT. Short memories tbh.

Difference is, with the example of Lampard, he sorted out his fitness/lifestyle/attitude and was rewarded. Ramage already seems to be ok on these fronts.

Difference is, with the example of Lampard, he sorted out his fitness/lifestyle/attitude and was rewarded. Ramage already seems to be ok on these fronts.

107646[/snapback]

He's sh*t at football though, which i see as a disadvantage.

107646[/snapback]

I think the key word is improvement. Players are human.

I can remember saying Olivier Bernard was absolute gash. 12 months later he was brilliant and my favourite player.

107646[/snapback]

I can remember saying Olivier Bernard was absolute gash. 12 months later he was brilliant and my favourite player.

107648[/snapback]

And now he's gash again :o

107646[/snapback]

He's sh*t at football though, which i see as a disadvantage.

107647[/snapback]

I don't think he's shit in all honesty but the point I was making was, there was a lot of room fopr improvement in those areas for Frank Lampard, whereas I don't see the same being true of Ramage.

Although we're not the best at it its ridiculous to say a 22 year old cant improve his game technically. I can only think of Bellamy in recent times who looked like a player that had worked on and started improving in one of his weaker areas but it obviously can be done.

There plenty of players who dont come through till later, not everyone can be a wonderkid. Ian Wright being the most extreme example

Edited by luckypierre

107646[/snapback]

107648[/snapback]

And now he's gash again :o

107651[/snapback]

Yeah, but I bet he has a Bentley ;)