The clock is ticking..

Scottish Mag

The time is running out for Newcastle United’s board to appoint a successor to Graeme Souness and for temporary management duo of Glenn Roeder and Alan Shearer. The pair can only run a top flight for a maximum of twelve weeks. Neither of them has the required coaching badges to continue after this time. Whilst under normal circumstances this would not a be problem Newcastle seem to be taking their time over appointing a new boss.

The League Managers Association are unaware of any circumstances that could allow Roeder and Shearer to continue in their respective roles until the end of the season. The LMA completely supports the twelve week upper limit. Roeder and Shearer have yet to attain the Pro Licence. As a result they can only stay in charge until April the 27th. Beyond this date Newcastle United still have two league games left to play and potentially an FA Cup final appearance should they progress that far.

“We’re very supportive of mandated qualifications and we think it will raise standards in the game. We’re more than happy with this rule to deal with the caretaker situation,” said LMA vice-chairman Frank Clark.

Roeder has taken a massive amount of praise for the turn around in Newcastle United’s recent fortunes. The 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford against Manchester United on Sunday was the first time the Magpies have lost under Roeder. The temporary Toon boss has made it clear that he wants to return to his old position in the club overseeing the club’s academy. Meanwhile Shearer has also ruled himself out of the running. If Newcastle wish to delay the appointment of a new boss further they could appoint Tommy Craig, the reserve team manager at St James, who holds the Pro Licence.

Clark hailed the work done by Roeder and Shearer, adding: “Glenn has done a terrific job, they’ve won five, drawn one and lost one. You often get that psychological aspect surrounding (a new appointment), the players play with more freedom. Glenn and Alan have both done very well.”

Its never worried me as Mick Martin can just "take over" and Roeder can continue actually being in charge.

The only problem is match day and Roeder can easilly prepare the team beforehand and give Martin explicit instructions as to what to do. And should changes be needed i'm sure he can get a message through to Martin!

Mick Martin????

I thought Tommy Craig was taking over?

106376[/snapback]

Don't know why the hell i put Mick Martin instead of Tommy Craig there! ;)

106389[/snapback]

Just to put me close to a heart attack? :jester:

Roeder only needs to complete one more day of coaching to get his Pro Licence, so if push comes to shove he'll do it and be legit to carry on till the end of the season. No panic, no rush.

106455[/snapback]

Yep I agree, if they try to push us into choosing a manager before we want, just push Glenn Roeder through or promote Tommy Craig temporarily and tell them to get stuffed

Seriously, what are the PFA going to do if we break the rules? Fine us? Oh no Mr Cunt, please don't fine us two of your shinny pennies.

Scare-mongering rubbish.

Next you'll be telling us that asylum seekers are eating our swans. Oh wait...

two years ago I took some Romanians through Lahdndahn and they were eying up the ducks etc in St James park...........

i told them if they wanted to blow their entry into the EU they should go ahead while I called the Sun