Lawrie Sanchez to the Mackems?

Scottish Mag

Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez has been linked with the vacant Sunderland job over the weekend and the international coach hasn't ruled out a return to club management, admitting he's flattered by the speculation.

Sanchez said:

"It's nice to be linked to a club the size of Sunderland.

"But Kevin Ball has been appointed as caretaker manager until the summer, so we'll wait until then to see what happens.

"I'm not ruling anything in and I'm not ruling anything out."

Any manager that wants to achieve anything is wasting their time going there as long as Murray is Chairman.  Zero ambition = Zero cash.

106481[/snapback]

To be fair they didn't spend that much less than Wigan or West Ham in preseason but look at how they've performed, obviously Murray is part of the problem but the fact is that Mick of the mackems is a shite manager.

Any manager that wants to achieve anything is wasting their time going there as long as Murray is Chairman.  Zero ambition = Zero cash.

106481[/snapback]

To be fair they didn't spend that much less than Wigan or West Ham in preseason but look at how they've performed, obviously Murray is part of the problem but the fact is that Mick of the mackems is a shite manager.

106519[/snapback]

Did you not think he did a reasonable job for Ireland?

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

Did you not think he did a reasonable job for Ireland?

106521[/snapback]

Well if you call reasonable not realising that the other team were down to ten men then I suppose so. Overall he did shite with a fairly decent team.

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

They bought in far more players than Wigan or West Ham though. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Well if you call reasonable not realising that the other team were down to ten men then I suppose so. Overall he did shite with a fairly decent team.

106522[/snapback]

I thought people might have been a bit more realistic about what a good job it'd been after the shite Kerr produced. Look at the strikers he was working with, who besides Robbie Keane was any good? Breen, Cunningham, Harte, Kinsella. Look at any part of that team and we over-achieved or at least performed to our level. Team spirit was crucial to that success. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes by the way, far from it, but he did a good job for us.

I was embarrassed by the crowd reaction at his last match, not that it's unusual any more, unfortunately.

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

They bought in far more players than Wigan or West Ham though. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

106523[/snapback]

They only paid a fee for three of them, £1.8m for Stead? £1.25m for Kelvin Davis? Compare that with Chimbonda on a free or Benayoun for £2.5m. If you've only got peanuts to spend then its vital to spend it wisely, something Pardew and Jewell did but Mc Carthy obviously didn't.

106522[/snapback]

I thought people might have been a bit more realistic about what a good job it'd been after the shite Kerr produced. Look at the strikers he was working with, who besides Robbie Keane was any good? Breen, Cunningham, Harte, Kinsella. Look at any part of that team and we over-achieved or at least performed to our level. Team spirit was crucial to that success. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes by the way, far from it, but he did a good job for us.

I was embarrassed by the crowd reaction at his last match, not that it's unusual any more, unfortunately.

106528[/snapback]

Robbie Keane and the lanky mackem were a great partnership at the time, Mc Carthy had a good mixture of youth and experience and a number of very good PL players in the team, especially compared to what Stan has to work with now.

Also his handling of Keane is Saipan was something even Souness would've been proud of.

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

106523[/snapback]

They only paid a fee for three of them, £1.8m for Stead? £1.25m for Kelvin Davis? Compare that with Chimbonda on a free or Benayoun for £2.5m. If you've only got peanuts to spend then its vital to spend it wisely, something Pardew and Jewell did but Mc Carthy obviously didn't.

106530[/snapback]

The key isn't how much they spend, it's their wage bill. They only attract crap because Murray won't pay decent wages.

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

106523[/snapback]

106530[/snapback]

The key isn't how much they spend, it's their wage bill. They only attract crap because Murray won't pay decent wages.

106533[/snapback]

I very much doubt than any of West Ham's or Wigan's signings are on huge wages. Comparing the three clubs just shows that Mc Carthy is a shite manager, yes he didn't get much help from Murray but a lot of people have the misconception that the other two promoted teams showed much more ambition when in reality they didn't until they knew they were safe, they were just lucky to have the right men in place.

Robbie Keane and the lanky mackem were a great partnership at the time, Mc Carthy had a good mixture of youth and experience and a number of very good PL players in the team, especially compared to what Stan has to work with now.

Also his handling of Keane is Saipan was something even Souness would've been proud of.

106532[/snapback]

So would you say we were in with a shout of winning the World Cup then? I think you're overestimating the quality of the players we had at our disposal. As for the Keane fiasco, you might want to look a little higher up the ladder, not to mention at the man himself, either way that was a no-win situation for McCarthy.

Incidentally, how do you rate Charlton's tenure?

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

106523[/snapback]

106530[/snapback]

106533[/snapback]

I very much doubt than any of West Ham's or Wigan's signings are on huge wages. Comparing the three clubs just shows that Mc Carthy is a shite manager, yes he didn't get much help from Murray but a lot of people have the misconception that the other two promoted teams showed much more ambition when in reality they didn't until they knew they were safe, they were just lucky to have the right men in place.

106534[/snapback]

Wigan outbid us for Scott Parker and also tried to sign Owen. I don't think it's all that safe to assume that Wigan aren't offering pretty good wages - they have to to get people to go and play there. Something that hasn't dawned on Murray. West Ham less so because they're in London. It sounds to me like you've got a bit of an agenda when it comes to McCarthy tbh. I don't think he's a brilliant manager or anything, but the big problem at Sunderland is Bob Murray.

106532[/snapback]

So would you say we were in with a shout of winning the World Cup then? I think you're overestimating the quality of the players we had at our disposal. As for the Keane fiasco, you might want to look a little higher up the ladder, not to mention at the man himself, either way that was a no-win situation for McCarthy.

106536[/snapback]

No we had no chance of winning the WC Cup but when the opposition are down to ten men and defending deeply in the hope of taking it to penalties you have a go at them, not act like nothing has changed, but of course he did because the thick cunt didn't even realise they were down to ten men.

I agree that the situation in Siapan wasn't 100% Mc Carthy's fault and the FAI had a lot to do with it but it seems Mc Carthy accepted it and did nothing to improve it. The improvements have only recently been implemented following the Genesis report.

Charlton brought a bit of success to Irish football but could've done much more with the most talented Ireland side in history. He alienated some of our most gifted players and had them playing boring shite, not unlike a certain ex-Newcastle manager.

106532[/snapback]

106536[/snapback]

No we had no chance of winning the WC Cup but when the opposition are down to ten men and defending deeply in the hope of taking it to penalties you have a go at them, not act like nothing has changed, but of course he did because the thick cunt didn't even realise they were down to ten men.

I agree that the situation in Siapan wasn't 100% Mc Carthy's fault and the FAI had a lot to do with it but it seems Mc Carthy accepted it and did nothing to improve it. The improvements have only recently been implemented following the Genesis report.

Charlton brought a bit of success to Irish football but could've done much more with the most talented Ireland side in history. He alienated some of our most gifted players and had them playing boring shite, not unlike a certain ex-Newcastle manager.

106540[/snapback]

I know you meant Souness but it applies to Charlton's reign as Toon manager too.

106481[/snapback]

106519[/snapback]

106523[/snapback]

106530[/snapback]

106533[/snapback]

106534[/snapback]

Wigan outbid us for Scott Parker and also tried to sign Owen. I don't think it's all that safe to assume that Wigan aren't offering pretty good wages - they have to to get people to go and play there. Something that hasn't dawned on Murray. West Ham less so because they're in London. It sounds to me like you've got a bit of an agenda when it comes to McCarthy tbh. I don't think he's a brilliant manager or anything, but the big problem at Sunderland is Bob Murray.

106539[/snapback]

Perhaps Whelan was prepared to offer the money but Jewell decided he didn't want to waste it unless the right player came along. He signed Politt, Chimbonda, Henchoz and De Zeeuw all on free transfers, I'm guessing it was the attraction of playing in the PL rather than earning big money which attracted these players (though obviously de Zeeuw already had connections with the club), these players have all done a good job for the team and didn't cost a penny in transfer fees.

Yes I suppose I have a bit of a grudge against Mc Carthy but if at the end of the day they spent similar amounts of money and had completely different results. Murray is a problem at Sunderland, I'm not denying that, and long may he stay, but he doesn't decide who to buy, how to train them, what team to pick and what tactics to use. Most managers would've struggled at the mackems this year but 10 points from a possible 84 is an absolute disgrace and the manager has to take a fair share of the blame.

I agree, McCarthy takes some of the blame, but nowt will change at Sunderland, no matter who they bring in as manager, until Murray goes.

By the way it's now mathematically impossible for them to catch us. ;)

Yep, that was a bit of a howler, but I think it's a mistake anyone could have made.

If McCarthy had been the kind bloke to kick up a fuss about the mess then he'd never have been there in the first place, so it's a moot point. The fact remains that if the mess wasn't there then the Keane fiasco wouldn't have occured.

We're pretty much agreed on Charlton anyway, I just didn't want to hear you slating a man who got us playing football with an inferior team, only to sing Charlton's praises.

I think McCarthy has come in for a lot of unfair criticism, who has done a better job than him in recent times? Look how the fans' choice worked out.

I haven't been following the developments with Genesis, as I'm now out of the country, but if the like's of that shite Delaney are still there then they're not doing their job. To be honest Irish business has a long way to go to meet European standards and associations like the FAI are the worst. Until we get that sorted I can't see us getting much better than McCarthy.

I'm worried by some of the stuff I've heard Staunton say, but I hear the match was decent. Missed that too. ;)

He got some canny performances from nobodies (Lawrence and Whitehead spring to mind) and you couldn't really predict that Stead would follow a quite canny first season with 7 months of firing blanks. The injuries to Kyle etc haven't exactly helped his cause much.