Robin Cook, dead.

Jimbo

Former Cabinet minister Robin Cook, 59, has died after collapsing while hill walking in north-west Scotland.

It is believed he was taken ill while walking with his wife Gaynor near the summit of Ben Stack, at around 1420 BST, Northern Constabulary said.

Mr Cook was flown by coastguard helicopter to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness, where he died on Saturday evening, police said.

He quit as Commons leader in March 2003, in protest over the war in Iraq.

Following Mr Cook's death, former friends and colleagues paid tribute to him.

Current Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, said: "He was the greatest Parliamentarian of his generation and a very fine foreign secretary."

Former Home Secretary David Blunkett said: "This is a terrible tragedy, not just for those who knew and cared for him, but also for political life in this country, which will be all the poorer."

Keen walker

RAF Kinloss Assistant controller Tom Docherty, said the centre had received a call about a "collapsed male walker".

"He was given CPR with instructions over the telephone from ambulance control staff at Inverness."

Following Mr Cook's death, a report will be prepared for the Procurator Fiscal, as is usual in such circumstances.

The Livingston MP, who lived in Edinburgh, was a keen walker and cyclist and a keen follower of horse racing.

Mr Cook, who first became an MP for Edinburgh Central in 1974, was appointed the shadow health secretary in 1989 and became the shadow trade and industry secretary in 1992.

In 1994, he became the shadow foreign secretary, a position he held until the 1997 election.

After Labour's landslide win, he entered the Cabinet as foreign secretary.

A Cabinet reshuffle after the 2001 Labour victory saw him replaced at the Foreign Office by Jack Straw, with Mr Cook instead given the job of Leader of the Commons.

He resigned that position in the lead-up to the conflict in Iraq in protest over Tony Blair's decision to go to war.

He had been an outspoken critic of the government's foreign policy from the backbench

RIP - without a doubt the most intelligent man to ever represent the Labour Party, he deserved more respect than Bliar ever gave him and it hasn't gone unnoticed to me that no public tribute has been heard...

Have heard one from Michael Howard though :o

RIP - without a doubt the most intelligent man to ever represent the Labour Party, he deserved more respect than Bliar ever gave him and it hasn't gone unnoticed to me that no public tribute has been heard...

8295[/snapback]

He was quick enough to heap praise on Enoch Powell. ;)

8295[/snapback]

"This news will be received with immense sadness, not just in Britain but in many parts of the world.

"Robin was an outstanding, extraordinary talent - brilliant, incisive in debate, of incredible skill and persuasive power."

8295[/snapback]

"This news will be received with immense sadness, not just in Britain but in many parts of the world.

"Robin was an outstanding, extraordinary talent - brilliant, incisive in debate, of incredible skill and persuasive power."

8311[/snapback]

....which were the contents of a 'Downing Street statement'....

let me just re-iterate my point:

it hasn't gone unnoticed to me that no public tribute has been heard...

8295[/snapback]

A 'Downing Street statement' is not exactly a 'public tribute' is it? Don't lose sight of the fact that this is Tony Blair we're talking about, the man who loves to get in front of a camera and give a public statement whenever he has the opportunity...

Not this time though, eh Tone? What's the matter? Can't forget the fact that Robin exposed you for what you really are, even after his death??

Anyway, it's not about Blair, it's about Robin Cook - one of the few politicians in my life time who put his beliefs before his career and for that reason, I think he'll be sorely missed...

Again, RIP!

Have heard one from Michael Howard though ;)

8295[/snapback]

8311[/snapback]

8295[/snapback]

A 'Downing Street statement' is not exactly a 'public tribute' is it? Don't lose sight of the fact that this is Tony Blair we're talking about, the man who loves to get in front of a camera and give a public statement whenever he has the opportunity...

Not this time though, eh Tone? What's the matter? Can't forget the fact that Robin exposed you for what you really are, even after his death??

Anyway, it's not about Blair, it's about Robin Cook - one of the few politicians in my life time who put his beliefs before his career and for that reason, I think he'll be sorely missed...

Again, RIP!

8316[/snapback]

Do you write for the Daily Mail? :o

Just because Tony Blair hasn't come out in a public press conference to express his sadness doesn't mean he is bitter or whatever. You've no idea what Blair was doing yesterday, for all you know he could have been visiting an obscure farm in the middle of Wales with no TV cameras around!

Very sad business. No age at all. Had to admire him for his principled stance on Iraq and a great intellect without a shadow of a doubt. RIP.

Ironic that his ex-wife whom he left for his PA is a doctor (consultant I think). Dunno if it would have made any difference ultimately but I'm sure she would have stood a better chance at resuscitating him than his PA/2nd wife - who had to phone the emergency services and follow their instructions if reports are correct. Almost certainly wont pass without comment in the House of Commons.

Ironic that his ex-wife whom he left for his PA is a doctor (consultant I think). Dunno if it would have made any difference ultimately but I'm sure she would have stood a better chance at resuscitating him than his PA/2nd wife - who had to phone the emergency services and follow their instructions if reports are correct. Almost certainly wont pass without comment in the House of Commons.

Yeah, his ex-wife was a consultant, ironic. He ditched her in a fairly despicable fashion. Pretty young age to die at. Ended up sitting next to him on the tube the other week, managed not to blurt out, 'You're Robin Cook!'

8531[/snapback]

:o

Good one! Been there myself actually with Gerald Kaufman (Gorton) on the way back to Manc from Euston. Said 'hello' though as it was pretty obvious I'd done a double take when I first clocked him so seemed churlish not to acknowledge him. He's a nice bloke though is our Gezza!

I never knew Robin Cook was referred to as 'Neil Kinnock's hair bank' by the way! Quality stuff! ;)

Have heard one from Michael Howard though ;)

8295[/snapback]

8311[/snapback]

8295[/snapback]

Again, RIP!

8316[/snapback]

Do you write for the Daily Mail? :o

Just because Tony Blair hasn't come out in a public press conference to express his sadness doesn't mean he is bitter or whatever. You've no idea what Blair was doing yesterday, for all you know he could have been visiting an obscure farm in the middle of Wales with no TV cameras around!

8393[/snapback]

Tried to lose my point there I see, but to deviate back to it, Blair has been in these 'obscure' places before and still managed to get his mug on camera to do the clever PR. He even managed it for Edward Heath FFS, but not it seems for a former member of his own cabinet....

He still managed to contact Downing Street though to draft out a press release! :(

Aye, RIP.

I do find moments like this quite surreal. You get politicians slagging each other right left and centre, Robin Cook even had it from his own cabinet...yet the moment he dies they all profess their love for him.

Aye, RIP.

I do find moments like this quite surreal. You get politicians slagging each other right left and centre, Robin Cook even had it from his own cabinet...yet the moment he dies they all profess their love for him.

8637[/snapback]

Is it just me or did nobody like him when he was alive?

He used to be my MP before i moved away and he's seemed to be one of the better ones, actually voicing the view of his constituants when many others didn't.

RIP