National service: an alternative to prison ?

Jimbo

As Rob suggested there's no way the armed forces would be happy to become some kind of probation/community service. They have been trimmed in recent years (probably correctly) to a lean, professional outfit - why divert them from that just because scum parents don't teach morals and schools are too weak?

As Rob suggested there's no way the armed forces would be happy to become some kind of probation/community service. They have been trimmed in recent years (probably correctly) to a lean, professional outfit - why divert them from that just because scum parents don't teach morals and schools are too weak?

8484[/snapback]

Who said that the army had to do it ? for anyone who has seen the "Bad lads army" it has been run by retired soldiers, during the proccess you can actually see these fuckwitts turn into human beings.

Would you rather them continue to roam the streets ? or hone their criminal skills further in our over crowded prisons ?

thing is Rob, we need to instil genuine respect for authority

modern kids have had their "rights" explained to them in glorious technicolour, they know that teachers basically have no power over them, so they can get away with murder. They know that under a certain age they can commit crime and get away with it, they know that their teenage mother will back them up all the way and not actually punish them for bad behaviour.

if the state needs to bring up the kids, because the parents are incapable, then so be it, boot camp the lot of them. I for one think I would have benefitted from a stint in such a place, certainly I would have a idea of how best to stay fit and be a little more self sufficient.

I might even have learnt how to pay respect to those in authority.

8441[/snapback]

It's your parents problem - why should the Army have to stand in for parents????

8484[/snapback]

Who said that the army had to do it ? for anyone who has seen the "Bad lads army" it has been run by retired soldiers, during the proccess you can actually see these fuckwitts turn into human beings.

Would you rather them continue to roam the streets ? or hone their criminal skills further in our over crowded prisons ?

8486[/snapback]

Oh God - he's back on his "hang -em , flog - em, burn-em, life sentences mean life routine

We'll have Rehhaggel on about Moslems shortly.............

:o;):(:(:(:blush::blush:B)B)

8484[/snapback]

8486[/snapback]

Oh God - he's back on his "hang -em , flog - em, burn-em, life sentences mean life routine

:o;):(:(:(:blush::blush:B)B)

8488[/snapback]

Heaven forbid Rob, that anyone has an opinion other than your own eh ?

8484[/snapback]

8486[/snapback]

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

8488[/snapback]

8490[/snapback]

That's what we "sandalistas" believe in Mr J - democracy, freedom of expression, compassion......................... just liek you, Oberfuhrer Rehhaggel and the Ayatollah Leazes ............. :o;):(:(:(:blush::blush:B)

thing is Rob, we need to instil genuine respect for authority

modern kids have had their "rights" explained to them in glorious technicolour, they know that teachers basically have no power over them, so they can get away with murder. They know that under a certain age they can commit crime and get away with it, they know that their teenage mother will back them up all the way and not actually punish them for bad behaviour.

if the state needs to bring up the kids, because the parents are incapable, then so be it, boot camp the lot of them. I for one think I would have benefitted from a stint in such a place, certainly I would have a idea of how best to stay fit and be a little more self sufficient.

I might even have learnt how to pay respect to those in authority.

8441[/snapback]

It's your parents problem - why should the Army have to stand in for parents????

8487[/snapback]

too many parents blame other people for their little luvvies failings....

I can see your point that those who don't want to do it wouldn't be very happy, hey but that's life. You can't always do what you want.....trouble now is, too many think they can....

8484[/snapback]

8486[/snapback]

B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

8488[/snapback]

8490[/snapback]

That's what we "sandalistas" believe in Mr J - democracy, freedom of expression, compassion......................... just liek you, Oberfuhrer Rehhaggel and the Ayatollah Leazes ............. :o;):(:(:(:blush::blush:B)

8492[/snapback]

So rather than trying to develope some disipline or respect for other members of society and actually trying to get the criminal fuckwits to do something positive with their lives, you'd perfer them to continue roaming our streets ?

just so we can be clear on this one ?

Kids should be made to attend school until they can achieve at least a G.C.S.E. C grade in English, Maths, Science, Geography and History. (That's probably what you get for writing your name properly now...)

All the ones who lag behind can stay on into their twenties, without the privileges of being an adult.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

National Service my arse, the kids of today are past that. What's needed for the fuckas around wor way is vigilante squads going around beating seven colours of shit out of them, and their parents every time they do something out of line, that would sharp make them think twice before doing something daft and I'm sure the parents would make more of an effort to keep them on the straight and narrow after the fatha had taken a pasting and was eating through a straw for 3 months due to the actions of his sibling.

You'll probably find in 95% of these problem child cases that the parents are professional shithouses and the kids are only following in their footsteps because they know no better.

If they were to bring national service back the majority of them would just go awol when the going got tough so the whole thing would have to be run like a prison otherwise they would just fuck off and go on the run.

Justice i say for failing to bring your kids up to show respect to others, in fact a quicker solution would be to shoot the fuckas and give all charvas the snip before they get the chance to sow their seed, there offspring wouldn't be missed

:o

Kids should be made to attend school until they can achieve at least a G.C.S.E. C grade in English, Maths, Science, Geography and History. (That's probably what you get for writing your name properly now...)

All the ones who lag behind can stay on into their twenties, without the privileges of being an adult.

8512[/snapback]

A waste of time and money. On the contrary, I would be in favour of splitting later secondary education (from 14) into academic and technical divisions. To be brutal, a lot of kids are wasting their time trying to learn french because they're just not up to it. Instead of this 'one size fits all' approach we can ensure that all kids at least have a decent level of basic literacy and numeracy along with some range of employable skills.

And I never did History or Geography GSCE.... :o

my parents did fine, school was shite, but parents did fine.

the problem is Rob, parents aren't doing their job and until they do someone has to take responsibility.. the state is already doing it with ASBO's which is basically parenting by the state, so why not do it as a preventative measure rather than a punishment?

I'd be happier if we could have social responsibilty ingrained into children from birth in the homoe, however far too many parents want to be their kids friend ahead of being their parent and with the increase of single parent families, the pressures on the main care giver explode exponentially.

I know that there are drawbacks, but as a system it doesn't seem to harm the scandinavians too badly, as a people they seem to generally respect authority and seem healthier than you're average joe from Burmundsey.

Schools are toothless they have neither the powers, nor the support of parents to actually educate the children in the ways of a socially responsible adult. How many kids do you know who learn to do housework/cook from their parents rather than their Domestic Science teacher? How many kids will do as their next door neighbour says, instead of giving him a mouthful and then hiding behind their equally inbred parent?

Society is disappearing and rather than make a stand now, we seem willing to put it off and place it in the handsof the next generation. I know it seems like I'm just putting parenting inthe hands of the Army, but if you can't trust a guy to wire his own house why not get an electrician to do it?

It's true that the army is not a babysitting service, but with grants and the potential to swell their ranks with men and women who have already been through basics they might not see it as a terrible chore and rather a golden opportunity.

it doesn't neccesarily have to be the Army either, it could be a joint venture between Army/Navy/Air Force/Police/Fire Brigade/RNLI etc.

It's my honest belief that the kids that are going through the schools now have little or no respect for anyone but the talentless fecks they see on televisionb, they buy into the myth of celebrity and would rather be famous than respected. While Dan brings up a valid point that those advocating this tend to be older but maybe this is because those of us that are older can see the way the kids today treat the teachers in balance with the ways our parents and ourselves interacted with them.

National Service instead of ASBO's? I'd say that was a good deal

it's like teaching kids about safe sex instead of trying to treat STD's

just makes sense to me

and as the current crop of parents (28-36) seem incapable of bringing up kids who are remotely useless to society, then someone has to take charge, if a it's a bloke with no neck and a nose that's been broken more often than a bustop window... then so be it.

you a grandad craig ? :o

8338[/snapback]

Nope but my Dad did national service and he is the same temprement as me. I can see where it did him some good and how too it would have done me some good.

Whilst I have no opinion either way about the subject (ie I don't give a shit), the lads from round my way who were right dodgy wankers when they were teenagers went into the army and it changed them all for the better. They actually became quite sound blokes and more responsible.

Whilst I have no opinion either way about the subject (ie I don't give a shit), the lads from round my way who were right dodgy wankers when they were teenagers went into the army and it changed them all for the better. They actually became quite sound blokes and more responsible.

8645[/snapback]

...there's your answer Rob

8645[/snapback]

...there's your answer Rob

8653[/snapback]

Nothing from the CIGS saying what they did for the Army tho...................

question earlier from Jimbo....

So rather than trying to develope some disipline or respect for other members of society and actually trying to get the criminal fuckwits to do something positive with their lives, you'd perfer them to continue roaming our streets ?

question earlier from Jimbo....

8684[/snapback]

Of course not - I beleive in the rule of law, proper trials, evidence, juries - thethings normally known as CIVILISATION

Not some loon just banging up people they don't like..................................

Not some loon just banging up people they don't like....

nah, that was your commie leftie forefathers ....

Edited by LeazesMag

Not some loon just banging up people they don't like....

nah, that was your commie leftie forefathers ....

8707[/snapback]

All solid union men they were...........

trouble is Rob it's generally the people who we don't like that NEED proper discipline and to learn respect. They're not getting it at home or at school.... where do you propose they should learn it? Jail? I'm not sure they've time to attend the lectures on proper behaviour in between Petty Crime 101 and Drug Pushing Ed

Why is it up to us to sort the buggers out?

Who will pay??

If they are a bunch of wasters who just spemd all their time hanging around that's their problem

If they do something wrong then there is the law

it's up to us, cos no other bugger is doing it...

who willpay? I'm sure if you tally the costs of trawling a kid through courts and "rehabilitative exercises" and ASBOs and their ilk, after all of this I'm sure we'd find that the cost to society is less if we actually put them through National Service. Prevention is always better than cure!

it's not their problem though Rob it's everyones, because the little scrotes harrass the public, they vandalise private and public property, they steal forcing prices up, they have a massive impact on our lives whether we acknowledge them or just hope they go away if we ignore them...

yes, but it's not working is it? kids are still bunking off school despite the laws that punish the parents for truancy, "chav" culture is on the up rather than disappearing, we've tried "just say no" they aint buying it..

also you're saying the law is there.. but surely that is advocating the police to do parenting for the trash that can't do it for themselves?

Why is it up to us to sort the buggers out? 

Who will pay??

If they are a bunch of wasters who just spemd all their time hanging around that's their problem

If they do something wrong then there is the law

8782[/snapback]

If they spend all their time hanging around your house I don't think you'd be so laid back, and there is the problem........

They are also hanging around because theres nowt for them to do, their parents don't know what they are doing [and in a lot of cases don't care what they are doing]. National Service would give them a direction and something to exist for, grow them up, give them responsibility, surely you can see that.

If they do something wrong, there isn't the law. The law is too slack, or rather there is too many parents who don't give a shite about them but when they get into trouble either get a wake up call or pretend they give a shite. Either way, they make enough noise to prevent the law from being effective.

This is basic man........