Parker will play my holding role

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness has admitted he plans to use new boy Scott Parker in a midfield holding role this season.

Parker - a £6.5 million summer signing from Chelsea - forged a reputation as a forward-thinking midfielder in the Robert Lee mould during his days at Charlton.

But he ended up covering for anchorman Claude Makelele at Stamford Bridge because Frank Lampard proved irreplaceable in the attacking midfield role.

And Souness sees Parker continuing in that more defence-minded vein at St James's Park.

"I think that's ultimately how we will use him, depending on what players we get in, or don't get in," said the Newcastle boss.

"Based on what players are available to us, we can use him in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3."

Souness also confirmed he is still seeking a right-sided midfielder, as well as hoping to add width down United's opposite flank by landing Fulham's Luis Boa Morte.

I've always seen him as a Rob Lee kind of player with a better shot on goal and few more tricks up his sleeve. It'll be interesting to see how well he plays in that holding role this season.

......EMRE..........................DYER

..............PARKER..BOWYER

....N'ZOGBIA..................MILNER

................FAYE.....JENAS

You can see how Jenas doesn't really fit in to our starting 11 as we look to play that kind of formation this season based on what positions those players play there best football in.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

A defensive midfielder can still be box to box, just watch two of the best - Vieira and Keane. At their prime they were the team's holding player but always popped up at the other end.

A defensive midfielder can still be box to box, just watch two of the best - Vieira and Keane. At their prime they were the team's holding player but always popped up at the other end.

8552[/snapback]

Do we see Parker as a "Keane" or a "Lampard" ?

I've always seen him as a Rob Lee kind of player with a better shot on goal and few more tricks up his sleeve. It'll be interesting to see how well he plays in that holding role this season.

8411[/snapback]

When Rob Lee first arrived at Newcastle he was a right midfielder, the same position he played at Charlton and it was only after a couple of games that KK asked him if he would play in the centre, something Lee says was his greatest career move and he gives Keegan full credit for.

I'd feel quite confident that our back four would get far better protection with Parker in front of them. Noticed at the Deportivo game that Parker was one of the first back covering when they attacked, not afraid to work his arse off, a refreshing change.

I'd feel quite confident that our back four would get far better protection with Parker in front of them. Noticed at the Deportivo game that Parker was one of the first back covering when they attacked, not afraid to work his arse off, a refreshing change.

8662[/snapback]

Aye was good. Leave Faye out now please as Parker is a damn fine passer of the ball and links up great with Def-Mid-Att