Lee Bowyer..

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness has picked out one of his players for special praise ahead of the new season, describing the man in question as 'a dream to work with'.

Such high praise is surely reserved for Alan 'first to the training ground and last to leave' Shearer, or hard-working new signing Scott Parker.

On this occasion, however, Souness was talking about the much-maligned Lee Bowyer, the player who who disgraced the club just a few months ago by fighting with team-mate Kieron Dyer.

Now Souness has put any such indiscretion in the past, and is keen to have Bowyer leading a new-look midfield for The Toon Army this season.

"I have never wanted Lee Bowyer to leave," claimed Souness. "Since I have been here I have enjoyed working with him. He has a right go in training every day.

"I know he has been involved in situations off the field and last year on the field, but he is a dream to work with.

"I spoke to David O'Leary and George Graham and they both said the same thing.

"He is a great lad and just has to not get involved in things that are daft because mention his name and people don't think about the hard-working player who goes out on the park every week, they talk about the daft things."

Souness was speaking after Newcastle's win over Dubnica, a victory that has set up a mouth-watering Intertoto Cup tie against Deportivo La Coruna.

And Souness will hope that Bowyer can finally reproduce the form for Newcastle that once saw him help Leeds United to the semi-final of the UEFA Champions League.

Well, I think a role in a 4-3-3 like he was playing at Leeds would suit him most. I for myself would be most pleased if he played it at Leeds as well.

Lee Bowyer was responsible for the most shameful on-pitch incident I have ever witnessed (and I'm not speaking of his passing). How this man is still allowed to wear the shirt is beyond me, especially when the manager wanted to set his stance about the importance of team spirit.

2 years on, the jury is still out on him IMO....

I hope he can get his head down and sort his demons out but I won;t be suprised if he steps out of line again some time in the future...

The next time HAS to be the last straw though!

2 years on, the jury is still out on him IMO....

2 years and all we got was a handful of half decent performances and a fight on the pitch.

Sorry, but the thought of having the likes of him, Butt and Moore in the squad make me cringe.

"He's brillant" said Souness, with one eye on the mobile expecting a bid at any moment.

542[/snapback]

The thing is though, Bowyers performance on Saturday was typical of most his performances last season. Chuffed he's still here... I'd rather sell rid of Jenas & Butt before him.

The thing is though, Bowyers performance on Saturday was typical of most his performances last season. Chuffed he's still here... I'd rather sell rid of Jenas & Butt before him.

552[/snapback]

To be honest I think he shines because he gets stuck in and works hard to get up and down the pitch because we are so mediocre.

• 2 weeks later...