Emre not the messiah

goldman

After having pretty high hopes for Emre this season , he's rather failed to deliver I think. Whoever described him as the Turkish Maradona was a bit wide of the mark. A bit like Emre's shooting - 2 league goals all season hardly anything to get excited about.

OK he's neat and tidy, looks quite a godd passer of the ball, but I honestly thought he'd be a much pacier , tricky customer that had defences shitting themselves a bit.

Would be good to know how many assists he's made - can he deliver that killer through ball or whip in a brilliant cross? The jury's still out, but he looks a bit one-dimensional imo...

Goes missing at times imo, when he decides he doesn't fancy it because whoever is marking him is getting the upper hand. However, when he does fancy it, which is very rarely, he's a very good footballer.

Depends how you play him really but I think he leaves us a bit light-weight when he's one of a middle two for a couple of reasons: he's not 'box to box' and he can go missing a bit away from home.

There's only one Messiah.

As for Emre, I haven't seen enough of him but I would hope he has enough class to show when he's playing in a better team; let's not forget that he's an International. Then again, so is Boumsong :o

Goes missing at times imo, when he decides he doesn't fancy it because whoever is marking him is getting the upper hand. However, when he does fancy it, which is very rarely, he's a very good footballer.

112184[/snapback]

Aye spot on.

Emre's strength is his vision in his passing, you see him looking up when he gets the ball for someone to make a run but with two static strikers in Shearer and Ameobi you know no such run will happen.

Emre's strength is his vision in his passing, you see him looking up when he gets the ball for someone to make a run but with two static strikers in Shearer and Ameobi you know no such run will happen.

112300[/snapback]

Also spot on.

112300[/snapback]

Also spot on.

112301[/snapback]

Yup. I think a piss poor forward line (to be harsh but fair) hasn't helped Emre this season. Shearer and Shola are hardly going to get on the end of defence splitting passes. Would like to have seen more of him with Owen, although I reckon that goes without saying.

i agree about the lack of pace up front affecting his game.

i also reckon he'd do better in a 3 man midfield, which may well happen if martin o'neil takes over.

After having pretty high hopes for Emre this season , he's rather failed to deliver  I think. Whoever described him as the Turkish Maradona was a bit wide of the mark. A bit like Emre's shooting - 2 league goals all season hardly anything to get excited about.

OK he's neat and tidy, looks quite a godd passer of the ball, but I honestly thought he'd be a much pacier , tricky customer that had defences shitting themselves a bit.

Would be good to know how many assists he's made - can he deliver that killer through ball or whip in a brilliant cross? The jury's still out, but he looks a bit one-dimensional imo...

112180[/snapback]

That about is record over the last 4/5 seasons. Be glad we didn't chuck monopoly money out on him.

To be fair to the lad, he has done OK this season given it's his first in the Premiership and with a new club and furthermore, he has had a stop-start type of season and he isn't exactly playing in a good side at the moment is he?

He has shown the appetite, skills and work-rate to compete in this league which is a start.

However in central midfield alongside Parker, that's not the best combo to take us back to the top. If we are to get the best out of Emre, I think we need to find a more suitable role, otherwise he'll become a good squad player in my eyes, nothing more.

Still, early days and all that, a bit more consistency and fluency around him and he may well become a pivotal player for us.

He was branded a legend and a Geordie way too early - after that fine free-kick against the Mackems. But I feel we;ve been expecting too much from him. The game against Southampton everyone was shouting "shoot" whenever he got the ball - it's not as if he has some deadly long shot, as quite a few of his efforts go miles high into the crowd.

Hasn't he only scored something like 10 goals in his entire career.

Same with Parker which is the main problem of our midfield, they don't score enough goals to compensate for the ineptness of our forwards.

The sooner people realise Parker and Emre aren't as good as they thought the better tbh.

112579[/snapback]

When they turn it on they're possibly one of the best central midfield partenerships in the premiership, unfortunately Emre does tend to go missing at times, but there again so does the rest of the team.

The sooner people realise Parker and Emre aren't as good as they thought the better tbh.

112579[/snapback]

When they turn it on they're possibly one of the best central midfield partenerships in the premiership, unfortunately Emre does tend to go missing at times, but there again so does the rest of the team.

112589[/snapback]

How many?

112579[/snapback]

they're two good players. i'm just not sure they're ideally suited to play together in the middle of a 4-4-2. i think they would both perform better if they were in a 3 man midfield. put an out and out holding player behind them and let them both play box to box and i think we'll see better results.

parker didn't have as much defensive responsibilty when he was charlton and looked twice the player he has for us. that's not to say he hasn't perfomed the holding role well, just that there's more to his game than mopping up...

Arsenal showed the other night you don't need A-list quality in midfield to be effective, nor height, power, pace and athleticism so lets not write Emre and Parker off too much.

In Europe I think those two could more than hold their own, I mean Gilberto and Fabregas don't exactly smack of being superior to Vieira and Emerson but they certainly played like they were on Tuesday evening.

I think what we need is a balance in midfield. I would keep Parker because for me, his defensive work and simplicty on the ball is a vital component for a successful side to have.

Maybe there is a use for Emre, but not alongside Parker, not in the Premiership against sides like Liverpool anyway. That is where you need pace, power and energy.

However, Emre in a floating role? Emre as a playmaker?

Could he do that job, ala Gudjohnson at Chelsea or Rooney at Man Utd?

Or is that another square peg in a round hole?

Emre isn't going to be great all the time. When he's good he's very good, when he's not he might as well not be on the pitch.

That's the way it is with that sort of player- if you don't like the inconsistency then you have the alternative of a player who is average week in, week out. If a player was fit and superb every week, he would probably be playing for someone else.

Emre's been poor of late but I think some of the stick he's got is too harsh. Just imagine Amdy Faye or Lee Clark in that position.