Is Europe still a possibility?

janu

Is European qualification still a possibility?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Current standing

6 Blackburn Rovers 31 – 52

7 Bolton Wanderers 30 – 48

8 Wigan Athletic 31 – 46

9 West Ham United 31 – 45

10 Everton 32 - 44

11 Charlton Athletic 31 – 42

12 Newcastle United 32 – 42

13 Manchester City 31 – 40

14 Middlesbrough 30 – 37

Remaining fixtures

Middlesbrough (a)

Wigan (h)

Mackems (a)

West Brom (h)

Birmingham (a)

Chelsea (h)

No way. We have been way too inconsistent, and we'll continue to be. Look at last week's performance at Charlton, I think we'll be seeing a couple more of those before the end of the season.

I've always thought that Spurs were the last "good" team we play - not counting Chelsea as I'd thought they'd have won it by then so would be playing like they did last year.

Can - yes, will - probably not.

Edited by NJS

I've always thought that Spurs were the last "good" team we play - not counting Chelsea as I'd thought they'd have won it by then so would be playing like they did last year.

Can - yes, will - probably not.

113373[/snapback]

I agree - on paper Spurs is the last "good" team. But I expect the games against Mackems, West Brom and Birmingham to be very difficult because they are fighting to stay up / avoid more embarrassment...

It's still a possibility obviously with 5 of the 6 very winnable, but you'd have to expect that it's not gonna happen. How far are the UEFA Cup places coming down in the League anyway - if West Ham got to the Cup Final vs Liverpool or Chelsea and also finished in the top 7 does that mean 8th place would carry a UEFA Cup spot?

I don't think the losing League Cup finalists get a UEFA Cup spot.

As for our chances of qualifying for Europe, I can't see it happening. I have to say I would be quite happy with 8th spot though, given the way the season has been going. 8th would at least look remotely respectable.

The winners qualify for the UEFA Cup, if they have not qualified for European competition in some other way.
Wikipedia

What happens then?

113447[/snapback]

The winner of the League Cup qualifies for the UEFA Cup; that's why Boro are in it. The losing finalist doesn't get a place in the UEFA Cup though.

Doesn't Wigan get a place from the Carling Cup?  ;)

113441[/snapback]

Nope, don't think so. That cup stopped counting towards Europe a few years back didn't it?

113444[/snapback]

No, it still counts, but only if you win it (that's how 'boro got into Europe two years ago). But I think the runner-up from the FA Cup does get a European place.

So with the league cup spot going back to the league and only one team certain to qualify for the CL league reaching the final of the FA Cup you can only qualify for the UEFA-Cup via the league when you get 5th or 6th place. We are ten points behind of 6th place with Blackburn (!) even having one game in hand. Everybody who believes there might still be an outside chance of qualifying for the UEFA cup should really have a word with himself (no, a word NOT an interview)...

The top two sides in the league qualify automatically for the UEFA Champions League. The teams that finish third and fourth qualify for the final qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League. The fifth-placed team qualifies for the UEFA Cup, as do the FA Cup winners and the Carling Cup winners. If a club already in Europe wins the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup place goes to the runners-up. If the runners-up are also already in Europe, the place will go to the next highest-placed league team. If the winners of the Carling Cup are already in Europe the UEFA Cup place goes to the next highest-placed league team.

European Places are also available for English teams in the Inter-Toto Cup and via the Fair Play League, where the highest placed team in the Fair Play League that hasn't qualified for Europe by other means is entered into a UEFA draw. If a team is drawn out of the hat they enter the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.

Source

Potentially seventh place then?

The top two sides in the league qualify automatically for the UEFA Champions League. The teams that finish third and fourth qualify for the final qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League. The fifth-placed team qualifies for the UEFA Cup, as do the FA Cup winners and the Carling Cup winners. If a club already in Europe wins the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup place goes to the runners-up. If the runners-up are also already in Europe, the place will go to the next highest-placed league team. If the winners of the Carling Cup are already in Europe the UEFA Cup place goes to the next highest-placed league team.

European Places are also available for English teams in the Inter-Toto Cup and via the Fair Play League, where the highest placed team in the Fair Play League that hasn't qualified for Europe by other means is entered into a UEFA draw. If a team is drawn out of the hat they enter the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup.

Source

Potentially seventh place then?

113456[/snapback]

No, because the spot via the FA Cup will go to Charlton, West Ham or Middlesbrough. I can't see any of them finishing 5th in the league.

Obviously it's possible, but we probably won't. I think finishing in the top half would be a good achievement considering relegation was being talked about under Souness, this is a transitional season for us.

The best we can hope for is qualification throuh the inter-toto. Iirc, this is easier now as well - you only have to win one round to get into the preliminary rounds of the UEFA cup or something. But who else has applied for it?

Everton and Blackburn are the only English clubs to have confirmed their participation in the Intertoto Cup.

However, Newcastle and Manchester City were also thought to have been interested in the competition, which has changed its format this year.

Source

Edited by janu

Everton and Blackburn are the only English clubs to have confirmed their participation in the Intertoto Cup.

However, Newcastle and Manchester City were also thought to have been interested in the competition, which has changed its format this year.

Source

113484[/snapback]

We need to finish above Everton and possibly Man City then, and hope Blackburn get automatic qualification. It's doable.

Yes it looks like 6th will be the cut off point and thats not achievable imo bar a miracle

However the intertoto will be a great way for our new manager to have a bit of time with the players before the season starts and we have a great chance of qualifying that way and we can certainly get in that way.

Just goes to show how daft missed opportunities affect your season - looking at how poor Charlton are on telly yesterday, and thinking to myself that we should have beaten them at SJP AND at their place. The extra 5 points and we'd be right up there with a chance.