Toon D-Day

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United will announce the identity of their new manager before the Premiership season ends.

And that will heap the pressure on hot favourite Martin O'Neill to finally choose between Newcastle and England in the next 35 days. He has also emerged as a contender for the Fulham job if Chris Coleman leaves in the summer.

O'Neill was at Craven Cottage yesterday watching Fulham lose to Portsmouth. Newcastle insist they will name their new boss before their last game of the season against Chelsea on Sunday May 7.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is closing in on his man after a series of meetings with the leading candidates and has drawn up a timetable for the appointment.

Shepherd told the Sunday Mirror: "Our aim is to have the new managerial structure in place before the last ball of the season is kicked. "We are confident that we will be able to announce the identity of the new manager before the season ends.

"We don't want to have uncertainty lingering on through the close season and we want supporters and players to finish the season knowing who will be in charge next August.

"We have taken our time because this is one of the biggest decisions in the history of this club. The top clubs are opening up a huge gap between themselves and others. We need to get the right man to ensure that we are one of those leading clubs.

"We have had a host of top names declaring their interest but we have kept them secret. When the time is right - and that isn't too far away - we will name the man to lead us into the future."

Quite a few managers who we've been linked with are very close to losing their jobs.

Bruce, O'Leary, Coleman

Anyone worried?

113423[/snapback]

surely he's not that stupid?! :)

happy birthday, by the way craig. ;)

Can't say i've seen us linked with any of those 3.

Glad we're trying to get it sorted before the end, if we waited til the end of the World Cup or something it would have been a bad idea.

I think Freddy knows that if he doesn't get someone who'll get results and appease the fans then the next time we're in this situation we'll be calling for his head aswell. That's why i'm confident we'll not see the likes of Bruce and O'Dreary in the hotseat.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's Hiddink.

When, exactly, are Engerlund making their announcement, anyone know? If Portly Freddie wants to announce our manager before the end of the season, then surely making their decision would have to come first? ;)

No, it's Hiddink. Both parties are keeping quiet in order for Hiddink and PSV to concentrate on their season as long as possible.

There are only two problems with my theory: One, the Russians are reportedly after Hiddink, and two, O'Neill had a distinctly black and white scarf on at Craven Cottage :)

*makes note to ask source at NUFC kitchens if any more cheese - especially Edam and Gouda has arrived*

Edited by snakehips

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's Hiddink.

When, exactly, are Engerlund making their announcement, anyone know? If Portly Freddie wants to announce our manager before the end of the season, then surely making their decision would have to come first? ;)

No, it's Hiddink. Both parties are keeping quiet in order for Hiddink and PSV to concentrate on their season as long as possible.

There are only two problems with my theory: One, the Russians are reportedly after Hiddink, and two, O'Neill had a distinctly black and white scarf on at Craven Cottage :)

*makes note to ask source at NUFC kitchens if any more cheese - especially Edam and Gouda has arrived*

113567[/snapback]

He had a black and white tartan scarf on at Jimmy Johnston's funeral too.