General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Probably right. Evolution is outright denied by the fundamentals, although I've yet to understand what the more moderate religious take is on it (catholics etc). By that I mean at what evolutionary point do we get souls? Do chimpanzees have souls? Etc.

Anyhow, no point getting carried away. We've known for years Mars had water in the past. I'm not sure the seasonal presence of liquid brine in the present changes much. Hope we find out in my lifetime but my feelings are there is no, and never was, life on Mars.

The way Catholicism twists itself to "accept" evolution and also the possibility of alien life is a whole branch of craziness in itself.

I actually have more respect for 6 day creationists who are at least honest in their stupidity with their fingers in ears "I'm not listening" approach.

So I went on some Catholic forums to see what they think of the soul issue (work allows this but not me to view toontastic :D). Long story short, they are all batshit crazy. Quite amusing seeing catholics trying to marry their faith with science, most would just rather not think about the contradictions though I suspect.

Along the same lines; isn't the original sin Eve's fault, and as such, if there is life on another planet they'd be without sin as they're obviously not descended from Adam or Eve?

I can quite believe there were/are simple forms of life on Mars. Wee beasties seems to exist in some environments seemingly incompatible with life on this planet, stands to reason it could exist in liquid water in a mineral rich environment on a different spinning rock.

Also out of trillions of planets, why did a universal God send his only son to a backwater planet, uncivilised region, oppressed tribe and idiotic time in history after waiting 14bn years for the chance.

Also out of trillions of planets, why did a universal God send his only son to a backwater planet, uncivilised region, oppressed tribe and idiotic time in history after waiting 14bn years for the chance.

And that the religion you happen to follow, usually purely by chance of birth, happens to be the "right" one out of the several thousand on offer. Honestly don't understand how people can't see how ludicrous this is.

To be fair, it's more relevant than an apocalyptic event on Mars resulting in Noah flying his ark to this planet to being life.

It could explain the missing link tbf I put a ?beside Noahs Ark .

I doubt it. People who want to believe, believe. I find it pretty staggering in 2015 that people still believe this stuff but there you go. My motto is live and let live.

Aye, but if the discovery of fundamental life on another planet makes a significant number of moderate theists to question (and subsequently lose) their faith, it will surely lead to a greater schism. So, if that's the case, how will world powers who have a power base in the religion of their country change? Will America move away from the Christian right? How will that affect international policy? How will it affect their curriculums?

I honestly believe that the discovery of extraterrestrial life (no matter how basic and local it is) could be a dramatic moment in human history and could change the world. It's exciting

giphy.gif

I read an article a while back that suggested we are actually aliens on this planet and we are in fact descendants from Mars. They knew some kind of apocalypse was going to happen on Mars so gathered people and animals together ( Noahs Ark ?) & came to earth.

:lol:

There's no such thing as a missing link. Every creature they find that fits between Homo sapien & the descendant we share with the great apes simply means we've got to find 2 new links.

The whole 'missing link' thing is a nonsense of semantics that religious apologists go in for with their penchant for twisting the words of anthropologists to misrepresent evolution. When you look at the fossil record every specimen is technically a 'missing link', because every specimen is a transitional form by the simple fact of its temporal position in the archaeological record. There is a long running joke in archaeology that, when a new specimen is discovered the religious apologists celebrate because it creates two new 'gaps' in the fossil record.

Don't waste people's time with bullshit arguments.

Aye, but if the discovery of fundamental life on another planet makes a significant number of moderate theists to question (and subsequently lose) their faith, it will surely lead to a greater schism. So, if that's the case, how will world powers who have a power base in the religion of their country change? Will America move away from the Christian right? How will that affect international policy? How will it affect their curriculums?

I honestly believe that the discovery of extraterrestrial life (no matter how basic and local it is) could be a dramatic moment in human history and could change the world. It's exciting

I don't think the confirmation of extraterrestrial life would lead to people abandoning religion at a noticeably greater rate than is already happening. I do think religion will be a thing of the past one day, its just, I don't think the discovery of extraterrestrial life could be some sort of Earth shattering moment for religious belief.

I think you are underestimating people's ability to fool themselves, on the one hand, and overestimating how much people actually care to think about religion, or their existence, on the other. Anyone who cares to think about religion critically is already an atheist.

I don't think the confirmation of extraterrestrial life would lead to people abandoning religion at a noticeably greater rate than is already happening. I do think religion will be a thing of the past one day, its just, I don't think the discovery of extraterrestrial life could be some sort of Earth shattering moment for religious belief.

I think you are underestimating people's ability to fool themselves, on the one hand, and overestimating how much people actually care to think about religion, or their existence, on the other. Anyone who cares to think about religion critically is already an atheist.

I'm inclined to agree. There's plenty of people that take the Bible literally when it suits them and a "metaphor" when it doesn't. I don't think religion will fall apart if we discover some alien microbes on Mars, it would take something a lot more sensational imo. Like an alien temple or a pyramid hundreds of thousands of years old.

BTW that Ben Carson is quite dangerous IMO - the way being a neurosurgeon somehow imbues his fuckwittery with "authority" is being used to make him look reasonable. How the fuck anyone can study biology/medicine to that level and still reject evolution is incredible.

I'm inclined to agree. There's plenty of people that take the Bible literally when it suits them and a "metaphor" when it doesn't. I don't think religion will fall apart if we discover some alien microbes on Mars, it would take something a lot more sensational imo. Like an alien temple or a pyramid hundreds of thousands of years old.

Oh I'm not expecting thousands of people to immediately scratch their head, look around a bit embarrassed, then take the next exit off their Hajj pilgrimage. But maybe it will be looked back on as a tipping point? Where the more rapid decline of religion begins?

:dunno: I just think it could be one of those Archduke Ferdinand/Bay of Pigs/9-11 moments; where the course of history changes tack.

Just in case anyone thought the Egyptians built the pyramids

If you take the perimeter of the pyramid and divide it by two times the height, you get a number that is exactly equivalent to the number pi (3.14159...) up to the fifteenth digit. The chances of this phenomenon happening by sheer chance is remarkably small. Did the ancient Egyptians know what the number pi was? Not likely, seeing as it was a number not calculated accurately to the fourth digit until the 6th century, and the pyramids calculate it to the fifteenth.

What about the fact that even though the sides of the base of the pyramid are some 757 feet long, it still forms an almost perfect square? Every angle in the base is exactly 90 degrees. In fact, the sides have a difference in length of something like two centimeters, which is an incredibly small amount.

What about the fact that although the Egyptians kept very careful records about everything they ever did; every king they had, every war they fought, and every structure they built, there were no records of them ever having built the pyramids?

What about the fact that the Egyptians had not even invented the wheel yet, but the blocks that they had to carry to build the pyramids weighed about 2 tons each? 4,000 lbs.? What did they do... use cement? In fact, they used so much stone, that if you took all of the stone they used and cut it into 1 foot square blocks, it would extend 2/3 of the way around the earth!!!

If you take the line of longitude that the pyramid lies on and the latitude that the pyramid lies on, 31 degrees north by 31 degrees west (the fact that they are the same number is a coincidence???) they are the two lines that cover the most combined land area in the world. In essence, the pyramid is the center of all of the land mass of the whole earth!!!!

How about the fact that a group of modern scientists attempted to build a pyramid out next to the real one using modern technologies, and after something like 100 days, succeeded in building one about 1/40 of the size of the real one????

Did you know that the height of the pyramid (481 feet) is almost exactly 1/1,000,000,000 of the distance from the earth to the sun (480.6 billion feet)?

What about all of that fungi that was found in King Tutu's chamber? Fungi which has never before been seen on earth? What about the Pharaoh's curse????? You decide, who built the Pyramids?????

Just in case anyone thought the Egyptians built the pyramids

If you take the perimeter of the pyramid and divide it by two times the height, you get a number that is exactly equivalent to the number pi (3.14159...) up to the fifteenth digit. The chances of this phenomenon happening by sheer chance is remarkably small. Did the ancient Egyptians know what the number pi was? Not likely, seeing as it was a number not calculated accurately to the fourth digit until the 6th century, and the pyramids calculate it to the fifteenth.

What about the fact that even though the sides of the base of the pyramid are some 757 feet long, it still forms an almost perfect square? Every angle in the base is exactly 90 degrees. In fact, the sides have a difference in length of something like two centimeters, which is an incredibly small amount.

What about the fact that although the Egyptians kept very careful records about everything they ever did; every king they had, every war they fought, and every structure they built, there were no records of them ever having built the pyramids?

What about the fact that the Egyptians had not even invented the wheel yet, but the blocks that they had to carry to build the pyramids weighed about 2 tons each? 4,000 lbs.? What did they do... use cement? In fact, they used so much stone, that if you took all of the stone they used and cut it into 1 foot square blocks, it would extend 2/3 of the way around the earth!!!

If you take the line of longitude that the pyramid lies on and the latitude that the pyramid lies on, 31 degrees north by 31 degrees west (the fact that they are the same number is a coincidence???) they are the two lines that cover the most combined land area in the world. In essence, the pyramid is the center of all of the land mass of the whole earth!!!!

How about the fact that a group of modern scientists attempted to build a pyramid out next to the real one using modern technologies, and after something like 100 days, succeeded in building one about 1/40 of the size of the real one????

Did you know that the height of the pyramid (481 feet) is almost exactly 1/1,000,000,000 of the distance from the earth to the sun (480.6 billion feet)?

What about all of that fungi that was found in King Tutu's chamber? Fungi which has never before been seen on earth? What about the Pharaoh's curse????? You decide, who built the Pyramids?????

Are you Parky in disguise?

Oh I'm not expecting thousands of people to immediately scratch their head, look around a bit embarrassed, then take the next exit off their Hajj pilgrimage. But maybe it will be looked back on as a tipping point? Where the more rapid decline of religion begins?

:dunno: I just think it could be one of those Archduke Ferdinand/Bay of Pigs/9-11 moments; where the course of history changes tack.

Yeah. You could be right.