General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Well there was a rather quaint little château down Avignon I had my eye on but you've put me right off, now. I'd be scared to even have a single thought in English let alone a conversation.

Property tends to be cheaper abroad so if you're a homeowner moving to the sun and making money to help you settle is a 'thing'. About 2 million have done this apparently. Not many were inverted snobs either ;)

The point being that Cath and Gemmill sound a bit like little englanders tutting about foreigners having the temerity to speak in THEIR language in OUR country. I know they're not really but I enjoyed the irony anyway.

Cheers everyone. The reason I'm bemused is because this is possibly the dullest paper I have ever written in a very niche area of research. To win paper of the year is peculiar, particularly as it had previously been rejected from another journal. However, it did report some novel methodology on the interrogation of routine medical data and has already been cited several times, so obviously is of some interest to someone. From a personal point of view, it involved me reading several thousand anonymised medical records, was quite soul destroying iirc.

Can't give you a link CT as I like to preserve my anonymity. Doubt you'd get past the first paragraph though! :D

Give us a synopsis. I'll probably understand it. Not sure about anyone else here though.....

That's horrendously rude! There's a unspoken respect between our Indian/Pakistani/Filipino staff at work in that if they are having a conversation in their own language and an English speaker walks in, they immediately continue in English. They'll even do it if they're on their own having a phone conversation in the coffee room and I walk in. In their view it's just good manners and respectful. I'd have kicked the fuckers out of the door.

Racist!

Anyway, it's hardly rude when they were obviously pointing out Gemmill's bad taste in home furnishing.

Impressive they change their language even when on the phone. Quite rare that, in my experience. You sure they don't suspect you're an undercover Border Force agent? Deep undercover obviously.

The point being that Cath and Gemmill sound a bit like little englanders tutting about foreigners having the temerity to speak in THEIR language in OUR country. I know they're not really but I enjoyed the irony anyway.

First world problems tbh. There's still people round my way (including relatives I'm ashamed to admit!) who are not exactly subtle in the fact they're not happy next door has just been bought by a brown family.

Property tends to be cheaper abroad so if you're a homeowner moving to the sun and making money to help you settle is a 'thing'. About 2 million have done this apparently. Not many were inverted snobs either ;)

Used to watch 'a place in the sun' with the wife sometimes and would like to do this some day but it's just a pipe dream really. There was quite a few little englanders on that show as well iirc and we'd laugh at their attitudes and shout at the TV "why are you moving abroad?!" :lol:

We kinda went off the idea but last year I was looking at property in quiet out of the way places in France and Germany where the prices were very, very reasonable for what you got, (we're looking for a decent sized bungalow and they're not as common round our way). Kids obviously wouldn't want to move from their home and friends but the wife looked at me as though I had two heads when I mentioned Germany. Bottom line, realistically, language and me getting a job make it a pipe dream. I'd have to be retired or come into some money and unless I spunk in wor lasses purse it ain't happening for a few years yet. ;)

I don't think you're being serious, but there's a difference between the scenario of buying a holiday home abroad and the one I'm talking about. These are people that live here, speak fluent English and have been speaking fluent English throughout the viewing suddenly turning to one another and having a private conversation in Indian while I'm stood there. That's rude as fuck.

It would be made less rude if he said "Sorry, my wife's English isn't great" or whatever. I mean I've already heard the bitch speak English fine so I wouldn't believe him but he'd at least have acknowledged the rudeness. Instead, the unspoken message is "that's right paleface, you don't know what the fuck we're saying. Now show us the bathroom you light skinned motherfucker."

I don't think you're being serious, but there's a difference between the scenario of buying a holiday home abroad and the one I'm talking about. These are people that live here, speak fluent English and have been speaking fluent English throughout the viewing suddenly turning to one another and having a private conversation in Indian while I'm stood there. That's rude as fuck.

It would be made less rude if he said "Sorry, my wife's English isn't great" or whatever. I mean I've already heard the bitch speak English fine so I wouldn't believe him but he'd at least have acknowledged the rudeness. Instead, the unspoken message is "that's right paleface, you don't know what the fuck we're saying. Now show us the bathroom you light skinned motherfucker."

I'm not being serious but imma gonna go ahead and disagree that its rude. When addressing you, they spoke English but they dont have to speak English to each other when you are there. I'm disappointed tbh, i think Renton has finally got under your skin with his Nigel Farage act and you're turning into the person you used to stand up against. Sad times.

I'm not being serious but imma gonna go ahead and disagree that its rude. When addressing you, they spoke English but they dont have to speak English to each other when you are there. I'm disappointed tbh, i think Renton has finally got under your skin with his Nigel Farage act and you're turning into the person you used to stand up against. Sad times.

As it happened, I ended up selling to a white couple whose surname was also White, so you might be right. :razz:

:lol: