General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

you won't mourn the loss of Cal's Own for too long when it eventually arrives in town. it couldbe a few years though given how long it it took for Wagamamas and Nandos to make it up there. 

Dave you should go to Cal if you're up at Christmas. He's the double of Ben Arfa and a maverick pain in the hoop with a mercurial touch in the kitchen. You'd love him.

:lol: 

Mind if he's owt like HBA, he'll have munched through most of his stock by the time I make it up.

Pizzeria Italia is well worth trying btw. They're pukka Italiano as well. Do lush coffee and sell other stuff. Bought some unchillfiltered EVO there the other week. Obviously you can't go there for a sit-down meal (they do pizza slices, mini calzones and stuff on a lunch time though and you can sit in).

Dave you should go to Cal if you're up at Christmas. He's the double of Ben Arfa and a maverick pain in the hoop with a mercurial touch in the kitchen. You'd love him.

I prefer it if the head honcho is edgy. :)

The two best places we had dinner in Bologna were run  by nutcases basically and there was a real fear. Food just tastes better with a light background fear.

Edited by Park Life

I prefer it if the head honcho is edgy. :)

The two best places we had dinner in Bologna were run by nutcases basically and there was a real fear. Food just tastes better with a light background fear.

This bloke doesn't allow substitutions on his pizzas. You can add up to two ingredients, but no more than that. And if you ask the waitresses for something beyond that, I've been told in the past that "I mean I can ask him if you really want me to..... But I'd really rather not". [emoji38]

You'd love him. I've got a bit of time for him tbf. He's basically a perfectionist who runs the rule over everything that goes in the oven and if it isn't perfectly up to standard it goes in the bin. I watched him with one of his chefs recently, both stood looking down at a pizza.... Cal asking questions.... The chef shaking his head....next question... Shake of the head. Cal scoops up the pizza and dumps it into the bin and the kid scurries off to get some fresh dough. [emoji38]

Basically every single Italian / Greek / Middle Eastern restaurant in the world then ;)

In my experience the key to a good Greek taverna is a scary big woman with a spoon keeping the head honcho in check behind the scenes. :D

A proper Italian meal isn't worth shit without the staff having a massive argument.

My lass reckons I should have been Italian. She says I remind her of Inpectot Montalban cause I create a song and dance about the little stuff and take the big shit in my stride. And I'm bald

My lass reckons I should have been Italian. She says I remind her of Inpectot Montalban cause I create a song and dance about the little stuff and take the big shit in my stride. And I'm bald

I could see you as an Italian, but not a Milanese peacock, a proper Italian with a gesticulation punctuating every sentence.

I could see you as an Italian, but not a Milanese peacock, a proper Italian with a gesticulation punctuating every sentence.

Well he is from Sicily (Montalbano)

This bloke doesn't allow substitutions on his pizzas. You can add up to two ingredients, but no more than that. And if you ask the waitresses for something beyond that, I've been told in the past that "I mean I can ask him if you really want me to..... But I'd really rather not". [emoji38]

You'd love him. I've got a bit of time for him tbf. He's basically a perfectionist who runs the rule over everything that goes in the oven and if it isn't perfectly up to standard it goes in the bin. I watched him with one of his chefs recently, both stood looking down at a pizza.... Cal asking questions.... The chef shaking his head....next question... Shake of the head. Cal scoops up the pizza and dumps it into the bin and the kid scurries off to get some fresh dough. [emoji38]

Btw, what do you reckon would be the reaction if you asked for ham and pineapple? :lol:

Sounds like the woman who used to run the ice cream shop in Seaton Deleval who would hoy a radgie if you had the temerity to ask for vanilla when you meant plain (or maybe it was the other way around, can't remember)