General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I'm thinking about getting a cleaner, I know that's probably the wankiest thing anyone has ever said but I live alone with the dog, the house is pretty much fully refurbished now and I have been promoted at work so spending more time there. The last thing I want to do when I am home is clean the fucking thing, especially after spending 8 months doing it all up myself.

My mam would go mad if I said I had a cleaner mind.

27 minutes ago, strawb said:

I'm thinking about getting a cleaner, I know that's probably the wankiest thing anyone has ever said but I live alone with the dog, the house is pretty much fully refurbished now and I have been promoted at work so spending more time there. The last thing I want to do when I am home is clean the fucking thing, especially after spending 8 months doing it all up myself.

Don't have one at the minute, but we've had one for years. Don't see the problem to be honest.

Plus, if you've got a dog it'll give them some company during the day.

59 minutes ago, strawb said:

I'm with @The Fish; nothing wrong with it.  Once your time becomes a decent amount more valuable than their hourly it's a no-brainer.

I'm sure there'll be a few working class heroes on here who'll take umbrage mind. :razz: 

I like to think of myself of one of those working class heroes mind. 

Worst part is, the dog goes to day care whenever I'm having a long day at graft so don't even have that excuse

I've a gardener, would have a cleaner too but not keen on the idea of a random going through my stuff. Plus can't afford it at the minute. Kind of agree with the Irish Spaniard on this one. Say you get paid 40 quid an hour. Why would you do housework when you can pay 10 quid an hour for someone else to do it?

Time really is money. 

1 hour ago, strawb said:

I like to think of myself of one of those working class heroes mind. 

Worst part is, the dog goes to day care whenever I'm having a long day at graft so don't even have that excuse

A real working class hero wouldn't be seen dead posting about getting a maid. ;)

Edited by adios

My Mam used to have a cleaner when i was a kid and she was irritating as owt. 

Always asking you to get out of the way basically. :lol: 

6 hours ago, strawb said:

We've got one, the amount of time I dont have to spend cleaning the house is more than worth what I pay her.

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I've a gardener, would have a cleaner too but not keen on the idea of a random going through my stuff. Plus can't afford it at the minute. Kind of agree with the Irish Spaniard on this one. Say you get paid 40 quid an hour. Why would you do housework when you can pay 10 quid an hour for someone else to do it?

Time really is money. 

£40 per hour is nigh on £80k pa!

11 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I did a job recently that worked out at £250p/h. 

My house is a fucking tip though :lol:

I feel uncomfortable if peoples houses are too neat and tidy.

i've had a cleaner ever since i was a student. our current one comes for 5 hours, once a week, which is almost completely pointless as around 5 minutes after she leaves, the kids have returned the house to the same shithole it was before she arrived. 

I don't have a cleaner but Andrew's logic seems sound to me.

How long before we hire chefs as well though? Although you could claim Deliveroo already handles that.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I don't have a cleaner but Andrew's logic seems sound to me.

How long before we hire chefs as well though? Although you could claim Deliveroo already handles that.

If you hate cooking then you've plenty of options for outsourcing that, hello fresh mean you don't have to actually shop, a thousand takeaways mean you don't even have to prepare anything.

You can get pretty much anything done for you by someone else basically as long as the price is worth it to you then why not?

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you hate cooking then you've plenty of options for outsourcing that, hello fresh mean you don't have to actually shop, a thousand takeaways mean you don't even have to prepare anything.

You can get pretty much anything done for you by someone else basically as long as the price is worth it to you then why not?

True - Hello Fresh was something we used for a while, before stopping it and just buying the stuff locally and using the same recipes. Still though, I find cooking tedious and could make an argument for working into the evening and earning more than it would cost me to get someone else to deal with dinner.

The problem with restaurant food is that it's probably not very good for you to eat it that often, and you're paying a premium (though it will depend on the place I concede).

Edited by Rayvin

On 7/23/2017 at 2:22 PM, strawb said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/07/24/money-really-can-buy-happiness-say-scientists/

Looks like you'll be happier for it.

Got a company coming to have a look this week, it's only a terraced house so I'm thinking a couple of hours every two weeks should be enough. It's about 12 quid a hour I think.