General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Over here we've had them for as long as I can remember, though we call them formals. I wasn't sure if it was the actual event or the American term 'prom' that was riling people.

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Over here we've had them for as long as I can remember, though we call them formals. I wasn't sure if it was the actual event or the American term 'prom' that was riling people.

It's the event itself. Back in the day finishing school consisted of a few illicit cans of lager and a different kind of finger buffet behind the bike sheds from memory. 

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We've had some sort of event going here for longer than it was a "Prom" I remember my older sister going to hers.

The escalation of costs and general ridiculousness involved has got a bit stupid now though, my brother in law went to his a couple of years and it was just mental, I dropped him off at it and there were limos everywhere, a horse drawn carriage, the money spent on it was mind boggling.

10 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Bit more casual dress though. It's why I always keep a plaid shirt in the wardrobe.

:lol:

Just now, Renton said:

Proms in any form didn't exist in England in any form before the 1990s. What a waste of money. 

Aye, it’s a proper fucking racket like. As are weddings 

50 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Obviously doesn’t take after his uncle then 

Wife's side. <_<

Mind, he may be prom king with an ironing board torso but being from Stanley he settled down at 17 anyway. Silly sod. 

It's a complete load of bollocks, mind. We had school discos the odd year but nothing like this now. I blame high school musical and all the American films. Also blame businesses stirring it up to make a killing. Give it a few more years and they'll be selling kevlar jackets to some, heavy machine guns to others for that unique 'high school USA' experience. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Wife's side. <_<

Mind, he may be prom king with an ironing board torso but being from Stanley he settled down at 17 anyway. Silly sod. 

Washboard even ;) 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Washboard even ;) 

No, he's got a condition where he has a torso like an ironing board, including the fold away legs with the rubber ends on.

Maybe. :blush:

Quite refreshing to hear a darling of the left come out with this…

Mariella Frostrup: Men face 'double standard' over celebrity lust http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44287094

( also worth pointing out that I would pound Ms. Frostrup until her arse collapsed in on itself and went supernova. I can say that now, aye?)

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Quite refreshing to hear a darling of the left come out with this…

Mariella Frostrup: Men face 'double standard' over celebrity lust http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44287094

( also worth pointing out that I would pound Ms. Frostrup until her arse collapsed in on itself and went supernova. I can say that now, aye?)

I give the Guardian 2 days before there's an opinion piece explaining to her about how she has internalised misogyny and that it's different when women objectify men because of the power dynamics in play.

30 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I give the Guardian 2 days before there's an opinion piece explaining to her about how she has internalised misogyny and that it's different when women objectify men because of the power dynamics in play.

She writes for the Guardian, knowing them they'll ask her to write it.

• Haha 2