General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

11 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Anyone incinerated their running shoes then?....

Am tempted to do something sweepingly “right on” and bandwagoni-ish like go out and buy a pair of Cortez for the first time in 30 odd years but they’re 70 fuckin quid now...the revolution can wait.. :cuppa: 

Had a few pairs of Cortez, although not for ages. Remember a navy pair with a padded silver swoosh :lol:

I'm moving house to one that doesn't have Virgin, so need to change my ISP out of necessity. I've been with Virgin 16 years and have always used the blueyonder email address, for literally everything. I've just learned that unlike say mobile phone providers, i can't take my e-mail address with me or use it as a proxy for a new one. So I am going to have to manually change every single fucking account I've got as well as update friends and relatives etc. And back up years of archived emails.

What a ball ache this is. I'd just like to say, fuck you Virgin. You've lost me as a customer even if you ever do bother to supply my area, you arseholes. I'll be using gmail from now on. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm moving house to one that doesn't have Virgin, so need to change my ISP out of necessity. I've been with Virgin 16 years and have always used the blueyonder email address, for literally everything. I've just learned that unlike say mobile phone providers, i can't take my e-mail address with me or use it as a proxy for a new one. So I am going to have to manually change every single fucking account I've got as well as update friends and relatives etc. And back up years of archived emails.

What a ball ache this is. I'd just like to say, fuck you Virgin. You've lost me as a customer even if you ever do bother to supply my area, you arseholes. I'll be using gmail from now on.

Can you not setup your outlook with the pop server etc for your blueyonder one? My dad still has an NTL email address from doing that

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Can you not setup your outlook with the pop server etc for your blueyonder one? My dad still has an NTL email address from doing that

The website says I have 90 days to back up my files then my account will be completely deleted. Other ISPs let you continue using their e-mail, although may charge a bit for it. Not an option for Virgin. Cunts. 

Virgin are cunts, they supplied me with broadband that was so badly throttled that it was unable to handle playing a youtube video without buffering. I was constantly kicking off about it saying if they weren't able to supply me with the correct speeds then they should cancel my contract without charging me a fee. They must have misheard this and cancelled my contract and stole £50 from my bank. Kicked off again and they wouldn't even return the money, just gave me account credit. Also had bother with them when I had a credit card off them. When Branson dies I'm having a party

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Virgin are cunts, they supplied me with broadband that was so badly throttled that it was unable to handle playing a youtube video without buffering. I was constantly kicking off about it saying if they weren't able to supply me with the correct speeds then they should cancel my contract without charging me a fee. They must have misheard this and cancelled my contract and stole £50 from my bank. Kicked off again and they wouldn't even return the money, just gave me account credit. Also had bother with them when I had a credit card off them. When Branson dies I'm having a party

Good for you. He doesn’t actually own Virgin Media.

Why would I change something that has worked perfectly well for me for 16 years? My experience is completely different to Quiff's in that the actual service has been spot on, both in delivering results and customer service/hardware issues. So what's the advice, not use e-mail addresses from your ISP, stick to Google or Apple ones or whatever? 

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

The website says I have 90 days to back up my files then my account will be completely deleted. Other ISPs let you continue using their e-mail, although may charge a bit for it. Not an option for Virgin. Cunts. 

We got virgin after having sky, are they insisting on you changing only because you are using an email from another ISP?

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Good for you. He doesn’t actually own Virgin Media.

I'm sure he pulls the same tax evasion trick with all of his "brands" - I think his day to day work activity is just being a cunt.

38 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We got virgin after having sky, are they insisting on you changing only because you are using an email from another ISP?

No, I'm leaving virgin after 16 years (no choice as they don't supply my new house) and they are deleting my email account which I have used for every third party account ever. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Who the fuck uses outlook unless they made to by work? Just use Gmail's webmail.

Renton seems to have been in an email time capsule from the late 90s. Idk if he can handle gmail as an out and out email service yet. His head might explode.

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Who the fuck uses outlook unless they made to by work? Just use Gmail's webmail.

Well yeah, working from home with a proper email service is canny essential for me.

But going forward isn't really an issue, it's the legacy issues. I've had my mobile number now for more than 25 years. I've changed provider several times, but always takeny number with me. Email underpins my entire online life more than my phone number. Other companies offer continued use after you leave, but not Virgin. I think it's a deterrent from leaving.

Oh, and btw, back in the early 2000s, gmail etc didn't exist and yahoo addresses often weren't enough for registration. Hence my reliance on this bastard supplier.