General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I ceased following Sargon ages back, largely because of his anti-EU stance, and his joining of UKIP really cemented it for me :lol:

Doesn't change the fact that he makes some good arguments sometimes though.

29 minutes ago, tooner said:

he does for sure, and fair point, but freedom of speech is about hearing unpopular as well as popular views.  i agree that if he spouts anything that qualifies as hate speech or advocates violence he should be shut down.  the gentleman he is debating is going to mop the floor with him in this debate, and I feel like censure of unpopular views would/could be more common if his cronies stay in power.  

I’m not saying he should be legally banned but those booking him should take a look at themselves. The problem is that those with views similar to Bannon’s aren’t going to be dissuaded by listening a rational voice, they’re just going to feel legitimised by seeing Bannon on national media/platforms.

Edited by ewerk

i agree with you on that.

here is the "about" page from the Munk debates website for some background. i didn't realise that they voted a winner.

About Munk Debates

The semi-annual Debates were established in 2008 as a charitable initiative of the Aurea Foundation co-founders Peter and Melanie Munk. The Debates take place in Toronto in the evening in front of an audience of 3,000 people at Roy Thomson Hall. The Debates last approximately an hour and a half. Two panelists argue for a debate style motion and two against. The format is short opening statements followed by a civil and substantive moderated panel discussion, followed by short closing statements. Past participants include Henry Kissinger, Glenn Greenwald, Paul Krugman, Fareed Zakaria, Tony Blair, Christopher Hitchens and Larry Summers, among others. The transcript of each debate is published as a book in Canada by House of Anansi Press and internationally.

The Munk Debates are open to the general public. Tickets to the debates are $40 to $100 each. Seating is limited. Each event begins at 7:00 PM with a vote by the audience on the resolution being debated. The final vote is tallied and the winning side is announced at approximately 9:00 PM.

The Munk Debates are organized by Rudyard Griffiths, Chair of The Munk Debates, with Naylor and Associates.

The Munk Debates benefit from advice and insights of an advisory board. Its members include Mark Cameron, Andrew Coyne, Devon Cross, John Duffy, Allan Gotlieb, Margaret MacMillan, Anthony Munk, Robert Prichard and Janice Stein.

Freedom of speech is too often used by bigots and fascists to get airtime. Their position is "just as valid" as grown up opinions. That their extreme views are given the same (if not more) air time as centrist views is ludicrous and embarrassing. UKIP have fewer MPs than the Green Party, right? Why are hatemongers given more time than hippies? Because they make for better tv? 

I'd have no problem with UKIP getting the proportional amount of time as their support dictates. But they don't, because they get more attention than a rational climatologist explaining that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't frack?

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Freedom of speech is too often used by bigots and fascists to get airtime. Their position is "just as valid" as grown up opinions. That their extreme views are given the same (if not more) air time as centrist views is ludicrous and embarrassing. UKIP have fewer MPs than the Green Party, right? Why are hatemongers given more time than hippies? Because they make for better tv? 

I'd have no problem with UKIP getting the proportional amount of time as their support dictates. But they don't, because they get more attention than a rational climatologist explaining that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't frack?

In fairness to UKIP they did get 4 million votes in the previous to last GE. That's a lot. More than the Liberals as I recall. And the people who voted for them still hold the same views, they just needed to vote Tory for Brexit instead.

Giving people a platform or not in this day and age is irrelevant. They get heard anyway. What matters is challenging them. The whole right wing side of the culture war relies on the notion that they are somehow looking at truths and facts that the MSM refuses to. To beat them, the MSM needs to address the same issues from a centrist perspective rather than shying away.

And yes this does mean admitting some inconvenient truths (working class multicultural integration has been a failure in many areas through no fault of either side, for one).

Fireworks are fucking shite. Especially on estates.

They have been going off since 4, the dog is absolutely terrified and I’ve got to go out in half an hour. Going to have to take her to a mates so she isn’t on her own.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, strawb said:

Fireworks are fucking shite. Especially on estates.

They have been going off since 4, the dog is absolutely terrified and I’ve got to go out in half an hour. Going to have to take her to a mates so she isn’t on her own.

Yeah can they not just do organised displays if they've got to have them. Our dogs are going crackers 

I took my lot to the display at Blue Flames tonight. 

A firework display. 

With loads of families. 

There were stewards going round, stopping people from lighting sparklers. 

At a firework display. 

:Dp

Another dislike of mine is things like that, I’m a H&S person and that sounds like some council person couldn’t be arsed doing their job properly so just blanked banned something. They are the reason people whinge about H&S.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Another dislike of mine is things like that, I’m a H&S person and that sounds like some council person couldn’t be arsed doing their job properly so just blanked banned something. They are the reason people whinge about H&S.

This is a privately run event, though. 

Has as to be said, mind, no one took a blind bit of notice, me included. 

“ Aye, ok mate. “

Watch him waddle off in to the crowd…

” Who wants a sparkler then, Fistlets?” 

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Happy birthday. Now get off the skateboard, take off the cans and start growing old gracefully.

i'm incapable of it. :lol:

people kept asking me whether i feel any different. but honestly i don't. i mean, thers's some stuff: i've got a mortgage and two kids to keep alive, and i struggle to recognise the puffy, winkled face that greets me when i look in the mirror first thing in the morning. then there's the slipped disc in the back and the tendinitis in the knee and the receding hairline. 

other than that, i feel as irresponsible and as immature as ever. is there ever a point in life when you start to feel like a proper grown up? i have imposter syndrome at work, and at life generally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm incapable of it. :lol:

people kept asking me whether i feel any different. but honestly i don't. i mean, thers's some stuff: i've got a mortgage and two kids to keep alive, and i struggle to recognise the puffy, winkled face that greets me when i look in the mirror first thing in the morning. then there's the slipped disc in the back and the tendinitis in the knee and the receding hairline. 

other than that, i feel as irresponsible and as immature as ever. is there ever a point in life when you start to feel like a proper grown up? i have imposter syndrome at work, and at life generally. 

Keith Richards says pretty much the same in his book. That there's no point that he's felt anything other than a teenager in his head.

My dog never used to be arsed about fireworks then for the last couple of years he’s changed and they terrify him now. Don’t take it for granted that not being scared now means it’ll always be that way unfortunately. And most of the shop bought ones are shite anyway unless you’re prepared to spend a fortune. Seems like there were more than ever going off last night but I suppose everyone needs to have the biggest baddest fireworks party so they boast about it on Facebook