General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I also got the following question wrong. 

"Is it acceptable to put your arm around a colleague if they are very upset?"

I said yes. Turns out that makes you a sex pest

Well, if the soiled knickers fit.

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

@Tom,sorry mate, deleted your comment as well as mine, on mobile and can’t find the reinstate thingy. :D

I was wondering where that went :lol: 

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Just been dipping soldiers into a soft boiled egg and when I eventually shelled it part of it was a really odd colour/texture and smelled really fucking foul. Am I going to die?

Maybe not, but I had a bad soft boiled egg when I was a kid and haven't touched one since. 

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Just been dipping soldiers into a soft boiled egg and when I eventually shelled it part of it was a really odd colour/texture and smelled really fucking foul. Am I going to die?

Dippy soldiers? I hope you didn’t spill any on your bib

:D

I had soft boiled eggs and toast soldiers for breakfast today, too, although I didn’t use manky eggs. 

I then rolled around on a blanket, tried to eat a Tupperware box, matched some colour blocks then shit my pants. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I travelled through West Yorkshire by train last week and the place still looks like a depressing shit tip. Could do with faster trains tbh. 

Oh it is.  The trains will be sorted by HS2 wont it?  I mean that will cut masses of time eh?

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Oh it is.  The trains will be sorted by HS2 wont it?  I mean that will cut masses of time eh?

They are rolling out a new generation of TPE trains this year as it happens, won't improve journey times much though as they need to sort the tracks out for that. At least I might get a seat coming back from Manchester though. Journey time is supposed to be addressed by "Northern Powerhouse" which is decades away if it ever happens. HS2 will improve journey times and capacity to London from Newcastle, if it's not cancelled by people like yourself. ;) If Leeds doesn't get HS2, you can bet they will spend the money on cross rail 3 instead. 

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

They are rolling out a new generation of TPE trains this year as it happens, won't improve journey times much though as they need to sort the tracks out for that. At least I might get a seat coming back from Manchester though. Journey time is supposed to be addressed by "Northern Powerhouse" which is decades away if it ever happens. HS2 will improve journey times and capacity to London from Newcastle, if it's not cancelled by people like yourself. ;) If Leeds doesn't get HS2, you can bet they will spend the money on cross rail 3 instead. 

Was talking to my dad about HS2 recently, and he was of the opinion that it was supposed to shave off about 20 mins from Newcastle to London - and that the cost involved in doing it had been described by someone or other from the Lib Dems as 'being equivalent to £500m spent on 114 cities and towns, each'.

On that basis, it sounds like a total waste of money.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Was talking to my dad about HS2 recently, and he was of the opinion that it was supposed to shave off about 20 mins from Newcastle to London - and that the cost involved in doing it had been described by someone or other from the Lib Dems as 'being equivalent to £500m spent on 114 cities and towns, each'.

On that basis, it sounds like a total waste of money.

He's wrong. HS2 isn't about speed, its about capacity ("high throughput 2" didn't have a good ring to it though). There will be much more seats available for London services, as well as shorter journey times. What's more, the west and east coast main lines will be freed up meaning much better commuter services and freight can be taken off the road. The cost is spread over 2 decades so is probably less than 3 billion annually, a tiny proportion of GDP and will create a fuck ton of productive jobs. It's exactly the type of scheme a progressive should support, and we are miles behind Europe and Asia. Transport within cities should be improved too, but its not an either or situation. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Renton said:

He's wrong. HS2 isn't about speed, its about capacity ("high throughput 2" didn't have a good ring to it though). There will be much more seats available for London services, as well as shorter journey times. What's more, the west and east coast main lines will be freed up meaning much better commuter services and freight can be taken off the road. The cost is spread over 2 decades so is probably less than 3 billion annually, a tiny proportion of GDP and will create a fuck ton of productive jobs. It's exactly the type of scheme a progressive should support, and we are miles behind Europe and Asia. Transport within cities should be improved too, but its not an either or situation. 

I sort of agree but can't help thinking the Westminster view that Leeds (the limit mentioned) is as far as Northern investment should/needs to go is as disappointing as usual.

16 minutes ago, NJS said:

I sort of agree but can't help thinking the Westminster view that Leeds (the limit mentioned) is as far as Northern investment should/needs to go is as disappointing as usual.

It is, although it still means Newcastle will benefit from fast trains just south of York (without changing). Plan is to connect to Glasgow and Edinburgh eventually, which will lead to sub 3 hour journeys at which point it is quicker than flying (so will kill that market, which is another environmental plus). 

Of more concern is the new Azuma fleet doesn't work on electricity north of York, so will have to run a diesel (they are bimode). This was found out before Christmas but barely registered in the news. It means trains to London will actually be slower if they don't sort it out! 

• Like 1